There are 251 users in the forums

Taking a look at the 49ers cap situation in 2020 and beyond

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by Boldjames:
I hope we can move solly and Ford. Unproductive and we can find cheaper help.

Ford? Seriously?

37 sacks in the 13 games that Ford played in.

11 sacks in the 6 games Ford missed.

So essentially we averaged 3 sacks per game when Ford was part of the pass rush, and 0.5 sacks per game with him out. Anyone who watched the games this year realized he was a huge X factor for the D. Getting rid of him is the last thing we should do.

Some people just don't know what they're talking about.
Here's what I would do.

Cut Goodwin and Nzeocha.

Trade Solly and Pettis for peanuts, essentially just trying to get their salaries off our books.

Tear McKinnon contract and ask him to take his dead cap money as salary, if he doesn't agree he can walk.

I would even go as far as trading/cutting Coleman. He's been hit or miss and injury prone.

If we can pull all this off we would end up with about 44 million in cap space.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SFTifoso:
Here's what I would do.

Cut Goodwin and Nzeocha.

Trade Solly and Pettis for peanuts, essentially just trying to get their salaries off our books.

Tear McKinnon contract and ask him to take his dead cap money as salary, if he doesn't agree he can walk.

I would even go as far as trading/cutting Coleman. He's been hit or miss and injury prone.

I agree with everything - except McKinnon I would just flat out cut. Coleman I would try to save - with Breida being so brittle, I would be wary of letting Coleman go, plus he's really good.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Feb 11, 2020 at 3:58 AM ]
Originally posted by HONEYBADGER:
Jimmy needs to restructure, he's not worth what he's making. He choked in the SB and threw like 20 passes through the playoffs before that. Restructure his deal......

Ohhhhh duh, you sound like those ex players on NFLN lol. Who cares about throwing the ball when you're running it for 200+ yards a game?
This is a fantastic site. Highly recommend reviewing before your off season plans!
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 11, 2020 at 4:40 AM ]
  • Goatie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
This is a fantastic site. Highly recommend reviewing before your off season plans!

Originally posted by mayo49:
Here's what I would do.

Cut Goodwin and Nzeocha.

I agree with everything - except McKinnon I would just flat out cut. Coleman I would try to save - with Breida being so brittle, I would be wary of letting Coleman go, plus he's really good.

Well we're gonna be on the hook for 4 million in dead cap if we cut McKinnon, I say let him play for that. He probably won't get much more in FA, and he gets to stay with a contender.
I'd like to keep everybody, but I'm starting to lean on the side of letting Armstead walk. He's a great player who had a career year in a contract year, but he's expensive and we are going to have to think about who's more valuable. I'd keep that money for Bosa, Buckner, and Ford.
This is what drives me crazy about the NFL. Just when you get a solid team you start running up against the salary cap. When a team starts winning players want even more money. NE managed to escape that problem by playing in a weak division so they didn't need to sign high priced talent to win and Brady always took less money. We don't have that luxury. Guys will leave for more money and we're in a competitive division so it's a dogfight every year.
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by Boldjames:
I hope we can move solly and Ford. Unproductive and we can find cheaper help.

Ford? Seriously?

37 sacks in the 13 games that Ford played in.

11 sacks in the 6 games Ford missed.

So essentially we averaged 3 sacks per game when Ford was part of the pass rush, and 0.5 sacks per game with him out. Anyone who watched the games this year realized he was a huge X factor for the D. Getting rid of him is the last thing we should do.

Some people just don't know what they're talking about.

This person shouldn't be able to post on here Ford is what makes that line go. Without him AA has 5 sacks. Middle of the line stays stuffed. He and Bosa make this line special. Unlocks it. If not Ford we'll have to have another fast edge on that side. We're built front 7 first. Solly prob expendable especially with DJ coming back. We're in the window so Solly is the kind of guy that will prob need to be jettisoned. CAP me this, CAP me that Haha

Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
This is what drives me crazy about the NFL. Just when you get a solid team you start running up against the salary cap. When a team starts winning players want even more money. NE managed to escape that problem by playing in a weak division so they didn't need to sign high priced talent to win and Brady always took less money. We don't have that luxury. Guys will leave for more money and we're in a competitive division so it's a dogfight every year.

That's why in the current salary capped NFL, the word dynasty for most means 2sb's in 4 years then bust. we're no different. We don't have a freak qb that can win crap on his own.
Originally posted by bzborow1:
I'd like to keep everybody, but I'm starting to lean on the side of letting Armstead walk. He's a great player who had a career year in a contract year, but he's expensive and we are going to have to think about who's more valuable. I'd keep that money for Bosa, Buckner, and Ford.

Would AA take a team friendly incentive laced deal like Sherman ? Seems like it's easier for him to hit those numbers with us than elsewhere, it all depends on what another team wants to guarantee him.
Originally posted by socal1632:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

That's why in the current salary capped NFL, the word dynasty for most means 2sb's in 4 years then bust. we're no different. We don't have a freak qb that can win crap on his own.

It also means we have to hit on mid to low round picks and be willing to let go overpriced vets, while maintaining our core.
Here's what I would do.

Cut Goodwin and Nzeocha.

Well we're gonna be on the hook for 4 million in dead cap if we cut McKinnon, I say let him play for that. He probably won't get much more in FA, and he gets to stay with a contender.

Sounds pretty good. Even a player like Tevin could be expendable to keep a tight core to continue the run.
How much is Beathard making this year ?
Share 49ersWebzone