Originally posted by pickle:
Originally posted by 5thSFG:
You're saying we are still a year or two away? I'm not sure I agree that we will be any better than we are right now.... ever. We can improve in areas for sure, but we are at the point where we will start losing talent as fast as we gain it.
If we are waiting to have pro bowl talent at every position before we consider ourselves "contenders", it's going to be a long wait.
And it just so happens that we currently lack the most talent at the positions we can scheme around.... almost like it was on purpose.
I'm not claiming we've arrived.... I'm simply contending that we may not improve upon what we currently have regarding talent
I'm saying we have weaknesses that can and will be exploited as the season moves forward that can be filled with quality drafting and free agency (which has happened in the past 3 off seasons). Realistically, these injuries will continue to challenge our depth, which we don't really have, especially on oline and defensive backfield--why do you think they continue to sign and shuffle those positions on the practice squad. I agree that Shanny can scheme around most offensive weaknesses, but this thread is talking about competing for the Super Bowl--did you watch how good New Orleans and Dallas were in that Sunday battle. I am just trying to be realistic.
I think our depth is our strength, except for the Oline and defensive back field. I don't think New Orleans or Dallas have markedly more talent than us, and am surprised you mention that game as your measuring stick.
I don't know if we have what it takes to go deep in the playoffs.... I'll be more informed after the Rams game. But I do binge watch Sunday ticket, and I don't see any teams out there that are completely out of our league. I'm not sure I would have said that after week 3, but week 4 showed that anyone is beatable
In any case, we're both fans..... and this is the most fun I've had watching the niners in years :)
Leggo niners!
[ Edited by 5thSFG on Oct 1, 2019 at 7:31 PM ]