LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 294 users in the forums

RIP Bob Fouts

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Longtime 49er announcer, San Francisco Resident, father to Dan.

I used to work at a jewelry store downtown SF and one of the salespersons (a career jeweler still going strong at 80 back then in the 80s) was his next door neighbor. He was Dan's godfather. They lived in the shadow of Mount Davidson. Right near St. Brendan's, where Dan went to school before becoming a cherry and going to SI (I went to SH). I met Bob well after Dan was playing football for the Chargers. He would come into the store on occasion and Art and he would go to lunch.

After the '89 quake we meandered our way out to my coworker's house to make sure he got home safe in the mayhem and blackouts after the quake. We could see fire off in the distance in the Marina (we were in Union Square) and all we had heard was that the World Series was over and the bridge collapsed. We were frightened to say the least.

We all met at Bob's next door to Art's house and he poured the stiffest Gin and Tonic that I can remember to this day. Our group had several by candlelight that night as we tried to get any kind of word as to the extent of the damage / casualties.

Despite that, Bob was very calm and his demeanor was a calming influence to us all on that crazy night.

RIP to a classy man.
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
Longtime 49er announcer, San Francisco Resident, father to Dan.

I used to work at a jewelry store downtown SF and one of the salespersons (a career jeweler still going strong at 80 back then in the 80s) was his next door neighbor. He was Dan's godfather. They lived in the shadow of Mount Davidson. Right near St. Brendan's, where Dan went to school before becoming a cherry and going to SI (I went to SH). I met Bob well after Dan was playing football for the Chargers. He would come into the store on occasion and Art and he would go to lunch.

After the '89 quake we meandered our way out to my coworker's house to make sure he got home safe in the mayhem and blackouts after the quake. We could see fire off in the distance in the Marina (we were in Union Square) and all we had heard was that the World Series was over and the bridge collapsed. We were frightened to say the least.

We all met at Bob's next door to Art's house and he poured the stiffest Gin and Tonic that I can remember to this day. Our group had several by candlelight that night as we tried to get any kind of word as to the extent of the damage / casualties.

Despite that, Bob was very calm and his demeanor was a calming influence to us all on that crazy night.

RIP to a classy man.
Great story. Thank you for sharing it.

RIP
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Wow
Share 49ersWebzone