There are 135 users in the forums

Red Zone and Jalen Hurd

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I understand Jalen Hurd is going to be a bit raw as a wide receiver, but from his highlights it looks like he could create an absolute nightmare in red zone and goal line situations. I was impressed in his highlights with his ability to slide/wiggle through initial contact for extra yards - find the crease - some wiggle in his route running in small spaces - AND his big catch radius. I didn't see any jump balls or high pointing of fade routes - which is what I would have expected with his height. (Is there evidence he does that too?) With his abilities you could:

-go empty in goal line and motion him inside for a run
-work his big catch radius and ability to body out coverage for a quick throw
-throw a WR screen for him to run in with wiggle or power
- or lastly use him as a "big" jet sweep type of play

If he has fade and high point ability even more alternatives.

It just seems he could really improve the 9ers red zone woes.

Thoughts?
Shouldnt be hard for him to highpoint he's 6'5 all he has to do is jump and catch at the highest point hes taller than every corner in the league I aint heard of no 6'5 corner no ones getting higher than him. Hes got hops too it shouldnt be hard to rebound.
[ Edited by 24karat49er on May 24, 2019 at 7:45 PM ]
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by HearstFan:
I understand Jalen Hurd is going to be a bit raw as a wide receiver, but from his highlights it looks like he could create an absolute nightmare in red zone and goal line situations. I was impressed in his highlights with his ability to slide/wiggle through initial contact for extra yards - find the crease - some wiggle in his route running in small spaces - AND his big catch radius. I didn't see any jump balls or high pointing of fade routes - which is what I would have expected with his height. (Is there evidence he does that too?) With his abilities you could:

Thoughts?

My thoughts is... if it were so easy he would have been that in college no? I mean if he can be a matchup nightmare in the NFL he should have DOMINATED the big 12 right?

Instead we got 946 and 4 TDs.

Not saying he wont work out. Not even saying we cant get creative with him. What i sm saying is this matchup nightmare jargon drives me bonkers.
Originally posted by krizay:

Thoughts?

My thoughts is... if it were so easy he would have been that in college no? I mean if he can be a matchup nightmare in the NFL he should have DOMINATED the big 12 right?

Not saying he wont work out. Not even saying we cant get creative with him. What i sm saying is this matchup nightmare jargon drives me bonkers.

That's fair. To your point tho, it has always perplexed me too why there are guys in college that are just good in college and then break out in the NFL. Also, Hurd was making the transition from running back to receiver - which isn't easy but he made the conversion and produced in just 2 years. I luv the fact that the scouting and his prior coaches say he is ultra competitive and smart - I hope that means he can learn quick under NFL coaching. I think his year 1 in the NFL he is more of a specialty plays player - and year 2 he is more of a full-time player.

Some of it must be the system they are in at the college level. Obviously Kittle is a rare example, but he was hardly used as a receiver in college and then blows it up in the NFL. Breida is another example - way better in the NFL than college would have indicated. Delanie Walker is a great example as well - good in college, late round pick, turns into a "match-up nightmare" in the NFL :)

I just think NFL offenses and level of execution can bring out the best in some of these college players that were just good.
If he finishes the season with 100 yards rushing and 100 yards receiving with 8 TDs, we'll know you've hit the nail on the head.
Red Zone efficiency has been the soft spot of Shanny's offense thus far.
I do think Hurd can be that weapon, if it's not just a bunch of cute stuff. Scheme-shmeme....just go out and impose your will. Looks like he can play a little pissed off, bounce off guys and stay upright. That helps.

IMO
Short yardage runs
- I formation, motion inside, or direct snap
- run or jump up the gut

Short yardage passes
- outside screens
- one-on-one matchup - pick a shoulder and use his quickness + size
- HB/TE play action
He's on a perfect team for him to be a WR. A HC who was a WR, took him under his wings to play WR, but also has the master creative ability to use him in his offense as a WR/RB/TE. If Hurd can sponge up the WR nuance and Kyle's offense, Hurd will be a monster.

Remember when Kyle paid money for Jet to come to SF to run and catch at RB. And everyone is like, he's too small -- 3rd down back. Well s**t, now Kyle has another form of Jet in Hurd, except he's 6'5, catch and RAC like Jet
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on May 25, 2019 at 1:36 AM ]
NFL coaches ( most of them) are better at finding the best way to use players. In college they have so many cupcake games that they can win by just having better athletes. In the NFL where everyone is good you need to scout the teams more and figure out the best way to use your players against the competition. Sometimes you find that player who has hidden abilities like Walsh did with Roger Craig and Tom Rathman. They both mostly blocked for the featured back at Nebraska which had that boring run every play offense. Walsh found out they could run and catch passes and they became very effective weapons.

Thoughts?

first year playing wr. Just wait till our wr coaches get a hold of him. His potential is insane.
I'm not gonna hold my breath, not yet anyway. The list of guys that "should" or "theoretically are" Red Zone nightmares far exceeds the number of them that actually are.

Originally posted by theduke85:
I'm not gonna hold my breath, not yet anyway. The list of guys that "should" or "theoretically are" Red Zone nightmares far exceeds the number of them that actually are.

1st & goal inside the 10. Just having Juice and Hurd in the backfield will mind f**k the whole defense. They gonna ram you with a 6'5 RB and a FB or are they gonna motion that 6'5 RB to the slot. Who's gonna cover him. Maybe they don't respect Juice running the ball. Maybe play action to Juice and have Jimmy role out with Hurd threatening the goal line with a catch. Where's Kittle? Oh s**t--back of the endzone for a TD.

We used to hear, so many weapons in the late 80s and early 90s. Now it's -- so many possibilities
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on May 25, 2019 at 9:03 AM ]
Look on the bright side. It can't get worse than it's been the last couple of years.

Not necessarily. He didn't play under Kyle's system in college, And with the dynamic of this team .
[ Edited by WestCoastForever on May 25, 2019 at 8:18 PM ]

Thoughts?

Jimmy Graham had 213 yds and 5 TDs in college.
[ Edited by ronniefreakinlott42 on May 28, 2019 at 8:40 AM ]
HOPEFULLY IT WORKS!
Share 49ersWebzone