Shop: 2024 49ers Training Camp Headwear →

There are 133 users in the forums

Mitch Wishnowsky - Punter (Utah) is a 49er

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by irief:
Originally posted by 49ers81:
But, but, but he was drafted in the 4th ROUND!!!! Think of all of the other guys we could have taken at that spot who are back-ups or are out of the league by now! . Honestly, outside of the first round, I'm not sure there is anything as stupid as all the bellyaching that goes on about where someone was drafted, or who they COULD HAVE gotten instead. When it comes to the draft the goal is to get guys who will contribute, where you get them is immaterial. There's always a chance that another player who could have been chosen at a similar spot will go on to have an amazing career, but that's just the nature of the draft. Every team makes mistakes but, at some point, just about every team will also find a guy who ends up outplaying their draft position. Seems to me we have several on this team, with Brock probably heading the list.

Dude has yet to make a probowl, let alone an all pro. Seriously?
Okay, fine. Give me a list of all the other 4th round picks that year who have been to the Pro Bowl or been named All Pro. The point is that as a 4th round pick he has made a solid contribution to the team at his position, which is about what you would hope for out of someone drafted there. If he ends up being the 49ers punter for a decade, it seems to me that is a pretty good return on investment. The idea that he HAS to become a Pro Bowler to justify having been picked in the 4th round is ridiculous.

Great! Let's use three first round picks on a stud long snapper next year since he'll be a sure fire "solid contributor".

I think that you missed the point.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
But, but, but he was drafted in the 4th ROUND!!!! Think of all of the other guys we could have taken at that spot who are back-ups or are out of the league by now! . Honestly, outside of the first round, I'm not sure there is anything as stupid as all the bellyaching that goes on about where someone was drafted, or who they COULD HAVE gotten instead. When it comes to the draft the goal is to get guys who will contribute, where you get them is immaterial. There's always a chance that another player who could have been chosen at a similar spot will go on to have an amazing career, but that's just the nature of the draft. Every team makes mistakes but, at some point, just about every team will also find a guy who ends up outplaying their draft position. Seems to me we have several on this team, with Brock probably heading the list.

Okay, fine. Give me a list of all the other 4th round picks that year who have been to the Pro Bowl or been named All Pro. The point is that as a 4th round pick he has made a solid contribution to the team at his position, which is about what you would hope for out of someone drafted there. If he ends up being the 49ers punter for a decade, it seems to me that is a pretty good return on investment. The idea that he HAS to become a Pro Bowler to justify having been picked in the 4th round is ridiculous.

Great! Let's use three first round picks on a stud long snapper next year since he'll be a sure fire "solid contributor".

Nah he didn't. It's just that he's spent so much time in this thread bagging on Mitch that he's decided to double down instead of just admitting he turned out to be a solid pick for this franchise and he was proven wrong.
Originally posted by evil:
Originally posted by English:

Nah he didn't. It's just that he's spent so much time in this thread bagging on Mitch that he's decided to double down instead of just admitting he turned out to be a solid pick for this franchise and he was proven wrong.

it's literally someone's second (or third or twelfth) account made specifically to come in this thread and troll about Wish.
Idk I put in "best quarterback ever red gold" and look what popped up, I didn't give it a number or anything lol

AI has spoken lol

[ Edited by Montana on May 4, 2024 at 9:07 PM ]
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by Montana:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
We should ask AI to generate a Mitch Wish as Punt God image

So...this is what AI came up with when I asked it to do punter god image..you tell me..?

Kinda looks like Mitch lol

which app did you use?

Bing AI image creator lol just type stuff in and it makes a pic lol..put in "punter" "god" and I think "gold" and that is what happened.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
AI did that? DAMN, I'm not that familiar with AI or how to use it, but DAMN that's sweet.
  • irief
  • Veteran

I've never said he's been a bad punter. He's been mediocre to pretty good. Is that the bar for punter picked in the 4th? Most would expect an all pro. My point is draft capital on a punter is like draft capital on a long snapper. Every year udfa punters are killing it.

I've never said he's been a bad punter. He's been mediocre to pretty good. Is that the bar for punter picked in the 4th? Most would expect an all pro. My point is draft capital on a punter is like draft capital on a long snapper. Every year udfa punters are killing it.

You're blind or clueless about P position if you think he's only been mediocre. And once again he will never be all pro as long as we have a good offense. You really don't understand football that well

That's a false equivalency. Typically, teams have waited until the late rounds or signed punters as UDFA's, so percentage wise, you'll find the largest pool of players acquired there, which means statistically speaking, the highest number of good kickers will come out of that pool as well. However, it's probably fair to say that those same kickers would have been just as good if they had been picked earlier in the draft, so it just becomes a question of PERCEIVED value as opposed to actual value. Team X signs a kicker who goes on to become someone who annually ends up among the top five in the league at his position. Does it matter whether they signed him as an UDFA or drafted him in the 4th round? The perceived value is, wow, we got this guy as an UDFA, what a steal. The real value is that he has become a player who consistently contributes to the team at a very high level, wouldn't that be worth a 4th round pick?

Under most circumstances, the 49ers might have waited until those more traditional spots to acquire one. It just so happened that they NEEDED a punter that year, the same way they NEEDED a kicker last year, so they did their due diligence and decided Wishnowsky was the guy they wanted and to prevent anyone else from getting him later on, they chose to invest a 4th round pick. A 4th rounder mind you, not a 1st a second or even a 3rd. Would Wishnowky still have been there in the later rounds, or available as an UDFA, maybe. But they had determined he was the guy they wanted, just as they did with Moody, and simply took the guesswork out of the equation.

Your argument that a 4th round punter should be held to some higher standard than a player at any other position, is just ludicrous. It's the 4th round for god's sake. I imagine a very high percentage of guys who are picked there become back-ups, practice squad players, or are out of the league after a few years. If you find a player in that round, regardless of their position, who can give you solid play for a period of 4-10 years than I think you have to consider that to be a pretty good pick. Occasionally, you might even find a really good player, which is even sweeter. As it turns out, Wishnowsky has turned into a pretty effective punter the last few seasons, which more than justifies their selection of him at that spot. He's on the roster and performing to the team's expectations, what difference does it make how he got there? Would his contributions be somehow more noteworthy if he had come in as a seventh rounder?
... and, with the 4th round pick, they don't draw up any fakes for the guy - we saw what he can do, they just don't allow it. So, not only does he not get a squillion punts a season to potentially be team mvp, he is also hampered from impressing Irief by coaches.
Idk I put in "best quarterback ever red gold" and look what popped up, I didn't give it a number or anything lol

AI has spoken lol

just needs the corndog

• Andra
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

AI has spoken lol

just needs the corndog

Lol. You are correct sir
  • irief
  • Veteran
The observation that he's on a good offense is an interesting point. Are there any metrics that show a correlation between probowl punters and bad offenses?
The observation that he's on a good offense is an interesting point. Are there any metrics that show a correlation between probowl punters and bad offenses?

pb punter correlations and 2025 mock draft on the front page, we may have hit peak offseason
  • irief
  • Veteran
Wait a minute. What about Tommy Townsend from KC or Bryan Anger from Dallas? Can't say those are bad teams/offenses. Had me going there for a second.
Wait a minute. What about Tommy Townsend from KC or Bryan Anger from Dallas? Can't say those are bad teams/offenses. Had me going there for a second.

You're guess is as good as mine.

Both Ps didn't deserve to be PBs, especially the Chiefs

https://www.nfl.com/stats/team-stats/special-teams/punts/2023/reg/all

Raiders/Titans P should've been All Pro / PB based on Net Avg and Inside the 20 Punts. But both those teams were top of the league in Punt Attempts, so maybe that played a factor.

Mitch had exactly half his punts be inside the 20, that's very damn good and by far best P attempts to Inside the 20 ratio.

He turned into a damn good P, especially the past 2 years, first couple of years I wasn't a fan either but he's excellent now.
Share 49ersWebzone