LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 340 users in the forums

Wide Receivers: who gets cut

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by cciowa:
no,, just because a qb loves someone. regardless of position. they still have to earn their way. unless their name is jimmy ward

Come on now cc...you damn well know Taylor is making the team. Kilgore was a backup center and Taylor when healthy was a 3rd down converting machine. Kilgore QBs JG night have been friends but Kilgore wasn't good at his job.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
no,, just because a qb loves someone. regardless of position. they still have to earn their way. unless their name is jimmy ward

Come on now cc...you damn well know Taylor is making the team. Kilgore was a backup center and Taylor when healthy was a 3rd down converting machine. Kilgore QBs JG night have been friends but Kilgore wasn't good at his job.

i do not know anything about this. on paper he maybe should,, but i also know there is a reason why three new wide outs were brought in here. i just think its kind of funny when some people. not you.. get all bent out of shape when you suggest that some of "our guys" may not make this team. i credit kyle and lynch for upping the game in this area. if taylor makes the team. good. that means he rose the occasion and fought to keep his job and that makes us a better team
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by walker807:
When they had Jimmy micd up during the titans game, he made it pretty clear he thought Taylor was money. Obviously last year was not the same Taylor but who cares, best man wins now. Taylor, Ricky James, Bourne and Mathews are all on the bubble as long as everyone is healthy.

best man wins is the key phrase and while i like mathews your theory of the bubble guys is spot on to me.
i do not know anything about this. on paper he maybe should,, but i also know there is a reason why three new wide outs were brought in here. i just think its kind of funny when some people. not you.. get all bent out of shape when you suggest that some of "our guys" may not make this team. i credit kyle and lynch for upping the game in this area. if taylor makes the team. good. that means he rose the occasion and fought to keep his job and that makes us a better team

I think in Taylor's case, many of us have him beating out one of "our guys" in James.
best man wins is the key phrase and while i like mathews your theory of the bubble guys is spot on to me.

ah, there it is
Originally posted by OsBoogie:

ah, there it is

Hes gotta have an edge on Bourne since hes a veteran, something we lack at WR. If Goodwin were to go down again this year, who's our veteran WR?

I see it like this
Locks:
Goodwin
Pettis
Deebo
Hurd

Roster battles:
Bourne vs Mathews
James vs Taylor

I think as of now Bourne gets cut and James gets traded for a conditional pick. I also think somebody is inevitably going to get hurt and may make the "battles" a moot point. Good news is were 8 deep so that's hopefully not as big if an issue as it was last year.
I think it comes down to Matthews or Bourne for the last spot.

Pettis, Goodwin, Deebo, Taylor, Hurd, Matthews/Bourne.

I like Richie James, I just think Taylor is gonna ball out in camp/preseason now that he's healthy and really not make it much of a decision for Lynch and Shanahan.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

I think in Taylor's case, many of us have him beating out one of "our guys" in James.

good. james can leave now
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

ah, there it is

yes, i like mathews. the two rookies and our new tight ends who can hopefully kick celek the hell out of there. but if mathews does not make the team. i will forget it in two days
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:

I like Richie James, I just think Taylor is gonna ball out in camp/preseason now that he's healthy and really not make it much of a decision for Lynch and Shanahan.
i hope you are right

When they had Jimmy micd up during the titans game, he made it pretty clear he thought Taylor was money. Obviously last year was not the same Taylor but who cares, best man wins now. Taylor, Ricky James, Bourne and Mathews are all on the bubble as long as everyone is healthy.
There is almost no realistic scenario, other than injury, under which Taylor is "on the bubble" he is as close to a lock to make the team as anyone. Odd men out at the moment, in no particular order, are James, Matthews, and Bourne. Personally, I would put Goodwin in that category as well. He was beat up a lot last year or out for personal reasons for several games. He keeps saying he wants to try out for the 2020 Olympics. Training for the long jump is completely different than training to play football and training for the Olympics is a full time gig under the best of circumstances. Matt Maiocco actually wrote that going into OTA's he thought Goodwin was a question mark to make the team this year but that he showed well enough during mini camp to put those concerns to rest for the time being. Training camp and pre-season will be the determining factors in who stays and who goes but since we are going into the silly season on the NFL calendar I guess people will speculate about anything to fill up the time.
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:

Good post and totally agree.

I think Matthews edges out Bourne

Taylor will light it up this season.
I'll put my bet on Bourne edging out Matthews for the last spot. Should be a good TC all around though
Hes gotta have an edge on Bourne since hes a veteran, something we lack at WR. If Goodwin were to go down again this year, who's our veteran WR?

I see it like this
Locks:
Goodwin
Pettis
Deebo
Hurd

Roster battles:
Bourne vs Mathews
James vs Taylor

I think as of now Bourne gets cut and James gets traded for a conditional pick. I also think somebody is inevitably going to get hurt and may make the "battles" a moot point. Good news is were 8 deep so that's hopefully not as big if an issue as it was last year.

I mostly agree walker... I stated in another post that Bourne needs to show a lot of improvement to make the team. I could see James making the team because he can run after the catch and play on ST.....but, if, and only if....he has a really good camp.

As of now, Taylor is a lock because Jimmy G loves the guy and they have a great connection. I also think Matthews has the edge over Bourne because he has historically been quite good in the red zone and that is why the Niners brought him in.....to score TDs.

Cheers!

He's gonna make the squad, he's probably our best pure slot WR and can return punts. He's got very reliable hands and is stupid quick feet. Him and JG have a on field chemistry, that's important. Good things happened when they were both on the field.

Deebo replaces Gracon, they play a very similar brand of football. Matthews is that cheap vet depth guy that hopefully you don't have to rely on. Hurd is a straight up wild card and I don't expect much from him this yr.... upside is pretty big floor is pretty low as well (wasn't a fan of the pick where it was made).

IMHO you got Bourne/Matthews/James all fighting for one spot (more Bourne and Matthews).
Share 49ersWebzone