Breaking49ers trade two draft picks for Broncos WR Emmanuel Sanders

There are 360 users in the forums

Wide Receivers: who gets cut

Shop Find 49ers gear online ⇨
Originally posted by OsBoogie:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I believe there is more truth to that than we think. Probably one of the main reasons Matthews wasn't pursued when they had a chance to because they still had Pierre Garcon on the roster. Shanahan does kinda state that Matthews is the veteran presence to make up for the loss of Garcon.

As for his past two seasons, look at his time in Buffalo and who his QB was, Taylor didn't even pass for 2,800 yards. Hardly any receiver was putting up numbers there and let's not get away from the fact that he was stepping into a new playbook. In Philly, again new playbook, stepped in as a starter for three games and he at least had one good game as a starter there going for 5 catches for 93 yards. Bourne has started 8 games last season and he hasn't even come close to a 100 yard game.

Again, if Matthews makes the team he'll come at a really low price with very little guarantees to his contract. It's a win/win the way I see it.

look at Bourne's QB's though and he's done better than Matthews the past 2 seasons.

If Matthews makes the team, it's simply because Shanny wants another vet, but I think he'll get the most value out of that in the offseason.

I actually think Bourne has a shot at winning a starting spot this season. At least early on.

I won't be mad either way, I just have watched Matthews a lot in this market and I don't believe he's improvement as a 5th or 6th WR.

I think Matthews will get a nice workout and a chance to showcase his talent for other teams. Then we'll cut him.
Pettis, Goodwin, Deebo, Taylor, Matthews, Bourne

Hurd will make the team as a TE/HB hybrid that can line up outside to mess with coverages. Otherwise Matthews will get the axe.
  • Kolohe
I believe there is more truth to that than we think. Probably one of the main reasons Matthews wasn't pursued when they had a chance to because they still had Pierre Garcon on the roster. Shanahan does kinda state that Matthews is the veteran presence to make up for the loss of Garcon.

As for his past two seasons, look at his time in Buffalo and who his QB was, Taylor didn't even pass for 2,800 yards. Hardly any receiver was putting up numbers there and let's not get away from the fact that he was stepping into a new playbook. In Philly, again new playbook, stepped in as a starter for three games and he at least had one good game as a starter there going for 5 catches for 93 yards. Bourne has started 8 games last season and he hasn't even come close to a 100 yard game.

Again, if Matthews makes the team he'll come at a really low price with very little guarantees to his contract. It's a win/win the way I see it.

look at Bourne's QB's though and he's done better than Matthews the past 2 seasons.

If Matthews makes the team, it's simply because Shanny wants another vet, but I think he'll get the most value out of that in the offseason.

I actually think Bourne has a shot at winning a starting spot this season. At least early on.

I won't be mad either way, I just have watched Matthews a lot in this market and I don't believe he's improvement as a 5th or 6th WR.

Bourne has worked with much better QB's the past two seasons, QB's who like to pass the ball and spread it around. Look at the pass attempts each game by Tyrod Taylor vs. CJ Beathard and Jimmy G., they practically double Tyrod's pass attempts. As for Nick Foles in 2018, Matthews was signed off the street and wasn't even in training camp with the Eagles who had a new head coach since his time there. But off the street, he stepped in and had almost as much yards receiving than Marquise Goodwin who started 8 games compared to three.

So instead of looking at just yards, at least look at the big picture. And lets not forget the simple fact that Matthews has in fact produced with competent QB's his first three years in the league. He has the most production out of all the receivers on the team. And if he can bring something to the table all the more better cause the receivers outside of Pettis sucked last season.
Bourne has worked with much better QB's the past two seasons, QB's who like to pass the ball and spread it around. Look at the pass attempts each game by Tyrod Taylor vs. CJ Beathard and Jimmy G., they practically double Tyrod's pass attempts. As for Nick Foles in 2018, Matthews was signed off the street and wasn't even in training camp with the Eagles who had a new head coach since his time there. But off the street, he stepped in and had almost as much yards receiving than Marquise Goodwin who started 8 games compared to three.

So instead of looking at just yards, at least look at the big picture. And lets not forget the simple fact that Matthews has in fact produced with competent QB's his first three years in the league. He has the most production out of all the receivers on the team. And if he can bring something to the table all the more better cause the receivers outside of Pettis sucked last season.

I've actually watched Matthews play. I get a lot of AFC and NFC East games in my market. There's nothing he's done the past 2 years that tells me he's better than Bourne has is getting better each year. You can point the finger at anything you want but a vet learning a new system vs a UDFA learning a new league? C'mon man.

You want to compare his yds to Goodwin but look at YDS/G? We had 5 guys with more YDS/G receiving last season. He barely beat out Juice our FB in that category. He's had 3 TD in 2 years. Bourne had 4 alone last year.

If he can bring something to the table that is better than Bourne or anyone else, I will welcome it. I agree there. I agree that Bourne either needs to get a LOT better or we need someone else starting (Deebo hopefully). I just don't see Matthews being that guy based off what he's been the past 2 seasons.
  • Kolohe

I've actually watched Matthews play. I get a lot of AFC and NFC East games in my market. There's nothing he's done the past 2 years that tells me he's better than Bourne has is getting better each year. You can point the finger at anything you want but a vet learning a new system vs a UDFA learning a new league? C'mon man.

You want to compare his yds to Goodwin but look at YDS/G? We had 5 guys with more YDS/G receiving last season. He barely beat out Juice our FB in that category. He's had 3 TD in 2 years. Bourne had 4 alone last year.

If he can bring something to the table that is better than Bourne or anyone else, I will welcome it. I agree there. I agree that Bourne either needs to get a LOT better or we need someone else starting (Deebo hopefully). I just don't see Matthews being that guy based off what he's been the past 2 seasons.

An UDFA that's been in the same system for two seasons is not the same or worse than a vet coming off the street that's been on two different teams with no TC. But you keep comparing the last two seasons and bring up Bourne as a rookie, what about what Matthews done in his first year in the league?

I compared yards, yes, but so did you with Bourne and Matthews without looking at both of their situations. Sure I did with Goodwin and Matthews and it does favor Goodwin, but my point was to compare how effective Matthews was coming off the street somewhat. Not to show that Matthews is better than Goodwin.

And you're proving my point with mentioning 5 guys having more receiving yards a game, simply put, Bourne had QB's that like to spread the ball around.
An UDFA that's been in the same system for two seasons is not the same or worse than a vet coming off the street that's been on two different teams with no TC. But you keep comparing the last two seasons and bring up Bourne as a rookie, what about what Matthews done in his first year in the league?

I compared yards, yes, but so did you with Bourne and Matthews without looking at both of their situations. Sure I did with Goodwin and Matthews and it does favor Goodwin, but my point was to compare how effective Matthews was coming off the street somewhat. Not to show that Matthews is better than Goodwin.

And you're proving my point with mentioning 5 guys having more receiving yards a game, simply put, Bourne had QB's that like to spread the ball around.

I'm comparing who they are now. The most recent seasons. A UDFA in his second year in the league with Beathard and Mullens out performing a vet with Foles even if it's his first year in the system, to me, shows more promise for the second year player.

and proving your point? The eagles also had 5 guys with more YDS/G than Matthews last year. I'd say they also spread the ball around with the 2nd TE having nearly as many YDS/G as Matthews did. The Eagles are not happy with Agholor and were looking to trade him, yet Matthews was still the 5th receiving option on the team.

I don't see this huge value you seem to see in Matthews. Stats or actual play.
6 WRs make it, Pettis, Samuel, Goodwin, Hurd, Taylor, Bourne, while Matthews, James, McCaffrey, Henry, and Poindexter get cut. The last 2 make the teams PSquad.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
6 WRs make it, Pettis, Samuel, Goodwin, Hurd, Taylor, Bourne, while Matthews, James, McCaffrey, Henry, and Poindexter get cut. The last 2 make the teams PSquad.

James is for sure gone imo, I think with keeping 4 RBs, we will see Mostert or Brieda returning kicks.
I'm just not a fan of Bourne making it over James for some reason.
I think Taylor gets cut or traded. he's only a slot player and as we all can see lynch has been drafting wrs that can play inside and out. Taylor only plays slot so he has a lot of competition and will be easily replaced. we can probably get a 6th the best a 5th rounder for him. a team like the ravens or cowboys or panthers are just a few of the teams that can really use a upgrade at slot

Originally posted by yung_prophet_one:
I think Taylor gets cut or traded. he's only a slot player and as we all can see lynch has been drafting wrs that can play inside and out. Taylor only plays slot so he has a lot of competition and will be easily replaced. we can probably get a 6th the best a 5th rounder for him. a team like the ravens or cowboys or panthers are just a few of the teams that can really use a upgrade at slot

There seems to be a trust factor with Taylor and the QBs. That's huge. Also don't forget who our WRs coach is.
I hope Bourne gets the axe and Richie James might too. I'd rather keep Matthews bc of his great red zone playmaking ability
Originally posted by elguapo:
I hope Bourne gets the axe and Richie James might too. I'd rather keep Matthews bc of his great red zone playmaking ability

Why do you hope that?

I want the best guys on the team but don't have a huge preference on who is cut. If anything I root for guys like Bourne(as long as it's not at the cost of our early draft picks for the obvious reasons)

Bourne has 2 years in this offense already. He's improved each year in this offense and he's still young and while not as big as Matthews isn't small either. 6'3 vs 6'1. He's also much cheaper than Matthews.

I feel like people are still remembering the Jordan Matthews from the draft. Let's not forget the Pats signed him this past offseason and cut him in August. This is the same Patriots team that knew they wouldn't have Julian Edelman first 4 weeks of the season due to a suspension, lost Danny Amendola to FA.

Their 53 man roster had 4 WRs on the roster:

Phillip Dorsett, Chris Hogan, Cordarrelle Patterson, Matthew Slater

Riley McCarron actually played week 1.

So i think people should taper their expectations when it comes to Matthews.
Hope Richie makes it. We need him on KR's
It's nice to see a debate over which receiver gets cut. The last few years have been more about how many are even worth keeping. We may not have an elite receiver but we have a pretty good group of competent receivers with a couple possibly being very good.
Share 49erswebzone