There are 147 users in the forums

Kick Returners

There are lots of guys competing for roster spots in the secondary and at WR. Somebody is going to make the team by returning kicks. I think Taylor and DJ Reed were punt returners and maybe Richie James. Did Mostert return KO's before he got hurt and then I can't even remember who did it after that.

Someone that can hang onto the ball is going to secure a position this year.
Richie James can handle it just fine.
DJ Reed ripped off the TD, Mostert is good as well. The NFL are practically banning kick offs anyway
It's the Niners... we never have ever had a legit scary KR. They wouldn't even put Deion back there
  • Mayor
  • Veteran
Originally posted by wailers15:
It's the Niners... we never have ever had a legit scary KR. They wouldn't even put Deion back there

Ted Ginn
Agreed on KR almost becoming extinct. I would put Mostert back there though just for the threat of world class speed coming out of there. As far as PR, we just need someone who never fumbles the ball, that is more important to me, than someone who might average 1-3 more yards a return, but fumbles every now and then.
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
Richie James can handle it just fine.

We don't want just fine. Pettis and Reed were nation leaders. Both are homerun threats. Taylor is a secure catcher but with a bad back and still fielding punts, that's not ideal...Pettis needs to earn his trade-up value here and become our own Tyler Lockett. Period.
[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 14, 2019 at 11:39 AM ]
I hear you on Pettis, but if Reed is similarly good, then I'd rather have him do it, so Pettis stays fresher, and less chance of injury on Pettis who is more important to our team than Reed.
All kick returns are called back anyway because of holding or block in the back. The league has done everything they can to legislate the kick return out of the game. It used to be exciting. Now it's just another commercial break.
Originally posted by Mayor:
Originally posted by wailers15:

Ted Ginn

Allen Rossum did pretty good too

The best I can remember for the Niners was Abe Woodson (1958-1964). He returned 5 kicks and 2 punts for TD's including one kick for 105 yards.
Dj Reed is the best on the team IMO. We need to give him another shot.
Pettis has good open field skills, but I don't think you want him back there.

Taylor secures the ball but isn't going to take one back. I thought Reed and James both fumbled last year.

I agree on KO's. There is not much chance of anything happening on KO's anymore.
Richie James and l Raheem Mostert are dynamic, You don't put Pettis back there at all, he can't get hurt on a return, he's needed on offense as much as possible..
Did they have Moore back there for a bit too?
Share 49erswebzone