LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 227 users in the forums

2019 Depth Chart Tracker/53-man Roster Predictions

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I agree with everything but I have Mullens starting over Jimmy.
Originally posted by kirkscrafford:
Maybe this year, the back up TE is purely a blocker and they use Juice if they get in a jam. He can see Shanahan trying to get a LB on McK or Coleman.

Must have a good back-up TE in case Kittle is injured
Does it look like we take a FS in the second round?

What's people's thoughts on Deionte Thompson?
outside of not wanting Q at 2... this is spot on how I see things. Good job!
Man we need help at WR.

Plus Verrett i see starting, no way if this dudes healthy he's 4th or on the depth chart.
Originally posted by kirkscrafford:
Maybe this year, the back up TE is purely a blocker and they use Juice if they get in a jam. He can see Shanahan trying to get a LB on McK or Coleman.

wish we still had your name sake...K. Scrafford was a bargain FA, solid !!!!
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Reed needs to stay at corner, he was more effective there. We should seriously look at drafting more outside corner help and moving Moore back to FS.

I agree! I'm wondering why they wont just do this. Leave DJ Reed and Moore at the spots they played in college, and stop this conversion crap!! It hasn't worked, so why don't they solve both depth problems in house ??
Originally posted by toppdogg32:
I agree! I'm wondering why they wont just do this. Leave DJ Reed and Moore at the spots they played in college, and stop this conversion crap!! It hasn't worked, so why don't they solve both depth problems in house ??

Stupid is as stupid does. This defensive staff aint too bright.
Originally posted by toppdogg32:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Reed needs to stay at corner, he was more effective there. We should seriously look at drafting more outside corner help and moving Moore back to FS.

Not sure I entirely agree with this.... I do think both players flashed good play at their new positions....but....if they are more effective at their original positions, then by all means, put them there and leave them. The team can really use effective players at those positions, especially at FS.

This may speak to the overall philosophy (and competence) of the defensive coaches. One of (if not the biggest issue) with the defense last season was the confusion in the secondary. I put that entirely on the coaching staff. It needs to get that house in order right NOW.....no matter who the players are and no matter what positions they play.

Cheers!
My take.

Depth char key:
STARTER (12 each sides); Lock; bubble looking in (makes roster unless replaced by rookie/depth guys); depth/bubble looking out; (camp body), Expected Draft pick

QB: GAROPPOLO, Mullens, Beathard
RB: BREIDA, JUSCZYK, Coleman, McKinnon, Mostert, (Morris, Dayes, Wilson)
TE: KITTLE, Celek, Draftee, Dwelley
WR1: PETTIS, GOODWIN, Taylor, James, (McCaffrey)
WR2: BOURNE, Matthews, Draftee, (Dunbar, Smallwood, Lucas)
OT: STALEY, MCGLINCHEY, Coleman, (DiLauro)
OG/C: TOMLINSON, PERSON, RICHBURG, Garnett, Magnusson, (Trojan)

Assuming keeping two QBs (Beathard as 3rd does not help our chances to win), drafting a future replacement for Celek, and a possession outside receiver. This makes it a battle between Taylor and James for the "small slot WR" spot. I don't expect an OL drafted that is expected to make the team - we still need 4-5 UDFAs. 24 roster spot on offense.

DT: BUCKNER, (QW???), ARMSTEAD, THOMAS, Jones, Street, Day, (Moore)
ER: FORD, Draftee, Blair, Taylor
LB: WARNER, ALEXANDER, Lee, Smith, Mayo, Nzeocha, (Pita, Watson, Delaire, Onwualu)
CB: SHERMAN, VERRETT, Witherspoon, Moore, K. WILLIAMS, Mabin, (McFadden, Moseley)
FS: COLBERT, Ward, Reed, (Goodwin)
SS: TARTT, Exum, Harris, T. Williams, (Powell, Robinson)

Day is the DT who we can afford to cut, esp. if we get QW or a 1-tech in draft. Street will get two TCs and a season for him to prove himself.
Mayo, Nzeocha are not locks as Lynch is willing to cut people with guaranteed money. Both are ST players and Nzeocha bit more secure (signed after Mayo).
Williams in not lock despite being a starter as there are other SCB types on the roster who are locks (Verrett, Reed, Ward). Ward is a lock only because Lynch/Saleh is apparently unwilling to get rid of him.
Colbert is the starter as Ward seems to be a pure short-term insurance option. If Saleh wanted a different starting FS, he would have signed someone.
Mabin is depth as he is durable and knows the system. T. Williams is depth as by the reports he played well in TC before his injury, and was resigned to PS at the end of the year.

So primary draft needs are ER and WR. Secondary need is TE (pick at some point).
Primary opportunity needs (pick only if value on day 1-2) are OL, DT (i.e. Q. Williams), CB, and FS.
[ Edited by Poldarn49 on Mar 22, 2019 at 2:56 PM ]

QBs:
Locks: Jimmy Garoppolo(2022), Nick Mullens(2019)
Close Locks: C.J. Beathard(2020)
Fighting: N/A
Longshots: N/A

RBs:
Locks: Jerick McKinnon(2021), Tevin Coleman(2020), Matt Breida(2019), Raheem Mostert(2021), Kyle Juszyczk(2020)
Close Locks: N/A
Longshots: Jeff Wilson Jr.(2019), Matt Dayes(2019)

WRs:
Locks: Dante Pettis(2021), Marquise Goodwin(2021)
Close Locks: Jordan Matthews(2019), Trent Taylor(2020)
Fighting: Kendrick Bourne(2019), Richie James Jr.(2021)
Longshots: Steven Dunbar Jr.(2019), Jordan Smallwood(2020), Max McCaffrey(2019)

TEs:
Locks: George Kittle(2020)
Close Locks: Garrett Celek(2019)
Fighting: Ross Dwelley(2019)
Longshots: Marcus Lucas(2020)

OL:
Locks: Weston Richburg(2022), Laken Tomlinson(2021), Mike Person(2021), Joe Staley(2019), Mike McGlinchey(2021)
Close Locks: Erik Magnuson(2019), Joshua Garnett(2019), Shon Coleman(2019)
Longshots: Najee Toran(2020), Christian DiLauro(2020)

DEs:
Locks: Dee Ford(2023), Arik Armstead(2019)
Close Locks: Kentavius Street(2021)
Fighting: Ronald Blair III(2019), Jullian Taylor(2021)
Longshots: Ryan Delaire(2020)

DTs/NTs:
Locks: DeForest Buckner(2019), D.J. Jones(2020), Solomon Thomas(2020)
Close Locks: Sheldon Day(2019)
Longshots: Kapron Lewis-Moore(2020)

LBs:
Locks: Fred Warner(2021), Kwon Alexander(2022), Mark Nzeocha(2021), David Mayo(2020), Elijah Lee(2019)
Fighting: Malcolm Smith(2019), Dekoda Watson(2019)
Longshots: Pita Taumoepenu(2019), James Onwualu(2019)

DBs:
Locks: Richard Sherman(2020), Ahkello Witherspoon(2020), Tarvarius Moore(2021), D.J. Reed Jr.(2021), Jimmie Ward(2019), Jaquiski Tartt(2020)
Close Locks: Jason Verrett(2019), K'Waun Williams(2020), Adrian Colbert(2020), Marcell Harris(2021)
Fighting: Greg Mabin(2019), Antone Exum Jr.(2019)
Longshots: Emmanuel Moseley(2019), Tarvarus McFadden(2020), Terrell Williams Jr.(2020), Godwin Igwebuike(2019), Tyree Robinson(2019)

STs:
Locks: Robbie Gould(2019), Colin Holba(2019)
Fighting: Justin Vogel(2019)
Longshots: Jonathan Brown(2020)
Other(Suspended): Kyle Nelson(2022)
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Stupid is as stupid does. This defensive staff aint too bright.

Easy to throw that out there. But I don't see Shanahan hiring stupid people.

They've had to shift people around to field a team. They've played players out of position in a losing year to see what they've got.

I hope they'll succeed this year when players are hopefully healthier and key new pieces have been added--every one should look a lot smarter.

Or, they may fail. But "stupid"? No offense intended, but that comment just demeans you.
Originally posted by longterm9erfan:
Not sure I entirely agree with this.... I do think both players flashed good play at their new positions....but....if they are more effective at their original positions, then by all means, put them there and leave them. The team can really use effective players at those positions, especially at FS.

This may speak to the overall philosophy (and competence) of the defensive coaches. One of (if not the biggest issue) with the defense last season was the confusion in the secondary. I put that entirely on the coaching staff. It needs to get that house in order right NOW.....no matter who the players are and no matter what positions they play.

Cheers!

Lack of QB pressure can make any secondary look confused. Fans can quibble about technique and how things are being coached, but pass rush was the #1 issue with the secondary last year.
[ Edited by Bluesbro on Mar 23, 2019 at 9:58 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:

Very flawed 53 IMO, no way we keep 7 WRs, also no Juszcyzk? Also we're keeping 6 LBs, David Mayo makes it, his entire cap number is basically GTD.

Edit: Looks like he changed it, but no Mostert? He got his entire 2019 salary GTD, makes no sense to cut one of the best ST'ers.
[ Edited by AB81Rules on Mar 27, 2019 at 4:35 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone