LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 183 users in the forums

Safety

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
what.. he played 6 games.. most tackles he ever had in a game was 4, please

Be angry. Be very very angry. Ward staying. He and Marsh are the latest members of Jed's Glory Hole Gang
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I think it's clear the FO & staff loves to safeties more than the corners. They are lookin for help at corner, as they should, but are staying in house at safety. I don't get it.

I think we'll no a lot more about our DBs once we get a pass rush. Dion Sanders & Revies in their prime couldn't have covered a WR long enough with the time opposing QBs had
Originally posted by Vai5684:
We didnt sing earl thomas no big deal. I like our young safety in Colbert and Harris. Now we have a pass rusher then can actually rush plus defo and bosa. Qb now dont have all day to throw the like last season. If Colbert can play like he did in his rookie year. Watch out. And Harris he was suppose to be first rounder before he got injure. He play really good towards the end of the year. What I like about them is they can run and hit. Cant wait for the season to start.
Niner for life

Earl Thomas, Earl Thomas, EarlThomas, EarlThomas, Earl-la-lo Thomas!

There, I just sung Earl Thomas.
With improved pass rush, we just need a guy that can tackle and catch INTs
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

the chiefs had a great pass rush last year, AND much better corners than us, and their defense sucked overall (31st in yards, 24th in points, 31 in pass yards, 27 in rush yards). of course some of this is attributed to their offense putting up so many points but how are you bottom 5 in pass AND rush?! you'd think maybe they'd be low in pass D but how were they also awful in run D?

anyways, the point being that players alone can't be the sole factor. you have to have good coaching. will saleh evolve enough to utilize our strengths? hopefully!
Originally posted by frenchmov:

the chiefs had a great pass rush last year, AND much better corners than us, and their defense sucked overall (31st in yards, 24th in points, 31 in pass yards, 27 in rush yards). of course some of this is attributed to their offense putting up so many points but how are you bottom 5 in pass AND rush?! you'd think maybe they'd be low in pass D but how were they also awful in run D?

anyways, the point being that players alone can't be the sole factor. you have to have good coaching. will saleh evolve enough to utilize our strengths? hopefully!

My tongue in cheek comment

Less pressure on the safeties if pass rush improved. They still need a veteran like presence at the position, like a QB of the secondary. That's what the Niners were lacking last year. So they won't be confused on every other pass plays.

Sounds like interior Dline and LBs problem for the Chiefs.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Mar 13, 2019 at 6:26 PM ]
is there a reason why Tavarious Moore is not seen as a possible option at safety?
Originally posted by frenchmov:

Their secondary was not really that much better than ours. However, I do agree with the thought that with their O scoring fast and easy, the D is out their a lot more. Which allows the opposing team to sometimes get in a rhythm. The opposite of Harbaugh's philosophy, pound and eat up the clock and let the rest.

People forget the 2ndary like an ol, has to play together and gell, hard to do when always banged up.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by T-9ers:
is there a reason why Tavarious Moore is not seen as a possible option at safety?

Good question. Harris is even better than Ward...
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I think it's clear the FO & staff loves to safeties more than the corners. They are lookin for help at corner, as they should, but are staying in house at safety. I don't get it.

I think we'll no a lot more about our DBs once we get a pass rush. Dion Sanders & Revies in their prime couldn't have covered a WR long enough with the time opposing QBs had

They feel if the corners do their job, then the less the S has to cover their ass and just rome to make plays. I know TM has the physical tools to play CB, but a part of thinks he should been kept at safety. Whenever teams move a player to a position they never played it is a risky move and possible waste.

Z
Originally posted by alwayssecond:
Ward is trash. Has always been trash and will always be trash

Right....That's why he was picked 17th in the first round and crushed it his rookie year. Sure sounds like life long trash to me.

Crushed it his rookie year? What?
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Z
Originally posted by alwayssecond:
Ward is trash. Has always been trash and will always be trash

Right....That's why he was picked 17th in the first round and crushed it his rookie year. Sure sounds like life long trash to me.

Crushed it his rookie year? What?
Brandon marshall crushed him in his rookie year. What was it like 3 tds lol..
The Safety position is in bad shape.

No proven 16 game starter at FS (Ward is a 4 to 8 game average to below average starter: Colbert is not a proven starter)
No proven 16 starter at SS (Tartt is an average starter that has never played 16 games, Harris is not a proven starter)

I was really hoping we would pick up a starting FS in FA. We probably don't have the draft capital to get one next month with so many other holes.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by captainhook:
The Safety position is in bad shape.

No proven 16 game starter at FS (Ward is a 4 to 8 game average to below average starter: Colbert is not a proven starter)
No proven 16 starter at SS (Tartt is an average starter that has never played 16 games, Harris is not a proven starter)

I was really hoping we would pick up a starting FS in FA. We probably don't have the draft capital to get one next month with so many other holes.

Yeah, we're looking desperate, especially by keeping Ward and going after another injury prone DB in Verrett. I guess even if you wave the cash, not all free agents want to play for certain teams (I heard Dix chose Bears over us).

We have Harris and Moore. Tartt gets hurt often and Colbert had one decent year and one bad year.

We'll grab a couple in the draft (one in 2nd or 3rd). We really need Woods to get everyone who makes the 53 ready by kickoff...
Share 49ersWebzone