There are 240 users in the forums

Coaches Film Analysis: 2018 Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Well, folks, I might have more for you tomorrow. I doubt I'll have much more today. My mom is in town visiting our family and it's the first time I've seen her in 7 years. So, as much as I love y'all and football, family is far more important(that's also why I didn't have this thread up yesterday). Have fun dissecting every nanosecond of the 12 plays or so we have up here, lol.

Take care of mom man. And thank you again.

This!
  • thl408
This play should have been shown before the Tartt near INT because it's a similar pressure package with the slot CBs (Ward, KWilliams) rushing while dropping a DE into coverage on the other side of the formation. There are only 3 DL in (AA, Buckner, Marsh) as Saleh goes for speed.

Cover3 as Marsh drops off while Ward and KWilliams rush along with AA and Buckner.

3v2 situation for the right side of the OL.

Cousins has to quickly throw it and the WR drops it. WR probably would have gotten smacked short of the first down anyway. Schemed pressure - gonna need a lot of this this season.
[ Edited by thl408 on Sep 12, 2018 at 12:57 PM ]
You guys are freak'n awesome breaking down every game week, but this one seems like the pinnacle for some reason.

Could it be the scheming of Kyle Shanahan offense like Moses parting the Red Sea
  • thl408
Originally posted by NinerGM:
jonnydel and thl408

Thanks guys. This was the talk-down I needed. Rational. With film, etc. It's not as bad as it looked in realtime when you can break down film.

That being said, I think the Rams faced a much softer team in the Raiders and that gives me hope that at least we'll be able to keep up with LA.

However, the question looms - who are we going to play at RG because Garnett is going to be out at least a month with his dislocated big toe.

How would you both evaluate Person - and the rest of the OL on film?
I didn't see much dropoff from Person to Garnett although I did not focus on any of the OL in particular. When Garnett went down and it was plan C at RG and plan B at RT, the right side of the OL took turns giving up QB pressure. This game was very much like last season's PHI game when the OL was wrecked with injury against a top DL. The only difference was Jimmy can avoid some hits by getting rid of the ball whereas Beathard took every single hit possible as if he was collecting them.
If Person/Garnett can't go, I would rather pick up a street FA to play RG than put McG at RG and Gilliam at RT.
Thanks guys. These are great!!
Originally posted by thl408:
I didn't see much dropoff from Person to Garnett although I did not focus on any of the OL in particular. When Garnett went down and it was plan C at RG and plan B at RT, the right side of the OL took turns giving up QB pressure. This game was very much like last season's PHI game when the OL was wrecked with injury against a top DL. The only difference was Jimmy can avoid some hits by getting rid of the ball whereas Beathard took every single hit possible as if he was collecting them.
If Person/Garnett can't go, I would rather pick up a street FA to play RG than put McG at RG and Gilliam at RT.

I second that! I noticed no drop-off when Garnett went down. But when he went out there was a real difference. I put no blame on McGlinchey but when he was pushed to RG, a position never played, Jimmy G. came under assault. I think that was a mistake of Shanny & Co. Moving McGlinchey to RG created a weakness at 2 spots. They must have felt that McGlinchey would be better as a first time OG than Gilliam would as an experienced, ok RT . Now, I don't know if that says more for McGlinchey or Gilliam, I just know I don't ever wanna see that again. Keep McGlinchey at RT and let somebody else - anybody else - fill in at RG.
[ Edited by 9ersLiferInChicago on Sep 12, 2018 at 1:39 PM ]
  • thl408
MIN tests Sherman here to see if he's still got it.
Cover3 Mable with Diggs vs Uncle Sherm

Sherman doing what he does best with his hands all over Diggs, within 5 yards of LoS.

Sherman impedes him so much that Diggs stops, takes a moment to reset, and go again. That's never good when trying to go vertical.

Despite Diggs stopping then starting again, Cousins was predetermined to test Sherman.
  • thl408
I read a couple posts about DeFo in coverage and how it shouldn't happen. I believe it was centered around this play.
Buckner at 3t in an Over front.

DeFo sees the QB rollout and starts to track the play.

He goes for the pass breakup instead of the tackle. So selfish trying to stuff the stat sheet for contract negotiations. jk

So Buckner wasn't really in coverage, he just happened to read the play, find the closest receiving threat, and went for the pass breakup.
*not related to the niners, but too good not to put here for us X's and O's guys*(I saw this on twitter and then again poster genus49 posted a gif) X's and O's litmus test....can you find the open player

I guess this was third down and they lost 5 yards on it.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Sep 12, 2018 at 3:49 PM ]
  • thl408
This is a nice combo coverage call from the 49ers and the result is a coverage sack.

Coyle and Sherman are in man coverage on the weakside. To the trips side, the 49ers are playing zone. Tartt looks like a Cover2 safety while Colbert covers the weakside Hook. Cousins drops back and I think looks to the #3 WR (based on end zone view), but Colbert is there to take it away.

When Cousins looks to his left, those routes are covered.

This looks somewhat like Cover3 Mable but the positioning of Tartt makes it not Cover3. Nice split coverage call and it made Cousins hold the ball for too long. DeFo and Blair share a sack.

Originally posted by thl408:
This is a nice combo coverage call from the 49ers and the result is a coverage sack.

Coyle and Sherman are in man coverage on the weakside. To the trips side, the 49ers are playing zone. Tartt looks like a Cover2 safety while Colbert covers the weakside Hook. Cousins drops back and I think looks to the #3 WR (based on end zone view), but Colbert is there to take it away.

When Cousins looks to his left, those routes are covered.

This looks somewhat like Cover3 Mable but the positioning of Tartt makes it not Cover3. Nice split coverage call and it made Cousins hold the ball for too long. DeFo and Blair share a sack.
Because the 3 wide was on the field side the "Mable" looks more like a cover 2. But, when I saw this I thought it was Mable. This was the play where I showed Sherm in man-coverage. You see he's manned up. The FS doesn't have to worry too much about that middle because he's got Colbert there who is supposed to match any crosser - Wagner is usually that guy for Seattle.
Originally posted by dj43:
Alright, Alright, Alright.

First off, Minnesota was known as a tough team before we even set foot on that field and they did make it to the NFCCG last year with Case Keenum at QB and their #1 RB on IR most of the year. That means one thing, they have a stout defense. It was #2 against the pass and #2 against the run last year and #1 overall. Think about this, during our 3 year run under Harbaugh, as good as our defense was, we were never ranked as highly as Minn's defense was last year and they managed to return 10 of the 11 and the 1 that didn't return they filled with a pro-bowl player. That's a tough group.

What a shocker though, it looked that way on film. That is one heck of a talented bunch on defense for Minnesota. Add to that your two best offensive weapons being out of the game by the 1st quarter(McK and Goodwin) and then losing your starter and backup guard and your reserve G was already hurt and the other guy you brought in wasn't healthy enough yet either - that's rough. It's the kind of thing that even with 4 capable guys brought in during camp, all 4 were down. I don't know if there's a team in the league that could overcome that kind of situation against that defense. They're a team that you have to bring your horses to the race with.

Their players are tough, fast, smart and disciplined. To do what we did is impressive. While I know we all don't like moral victories, let's take it as that and move on to the Lions.

No fair. You are being objective and observant.

Good stuff...as always.

cheers to my favorite poster on the zone, jonnydel!
Originally posted by Niners816:
*not related to the niners, but too good not to put here for us X's and O's guys*(I saw this on twitter and then again poster genus49 posted a gif) X's and O's litmus test....can you find the open player

But Collinsworth said their secondary is now the best it's ever been.
Originally posted by Niners816:

I think he's over thinking stuff. I watched him extensively at UNC and one of the things I liked is how decisive he was, how well he read the field. From watching him in the NFL, he seems to be rushing himself unnecessarily.
  • thl408
Because the 3 wide was on the field side the "Mable" looks more like a cover 2. But, when I saw this I thought it was Mable. This was the play where I showed Sherm in man-coverage. You see he's manned up. The FS doesn't have to worry too much about that middle because he's got Colbert there who is supposed to match any crosser - Wagner is usually that guy for Seattle.
Ah I see it (post#27). The gif didn't load for me. Loved this play. Spoon and Sherman should give Saleh more confidence with these types of calls. He can mix it up and give his front 4 a better chance (more time) to get after the QB.
Share 49ersWebzone