LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 224 users in the forums

OTA Days

Shop Find 49ers gear online
To consolidate the musings of beat writers and discuss early player evaluations.
I read that Joshua Garnett was getting handled by Buckner and Thomas. Two ways to take that: improvement and consistency from Thomas or Garnett just doesn't have it, and that position on the O-line will be liability.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
I read that Joshua Garnett was getting handled by Buckner and Thomas. Two ways to take that: improvement and consistency from Thomas or Garnett just doesn't have it, and that position on the O-line will be liability.

was it drills or 7 on 7? and if from Grant take with the biggest grain of salt.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on May 23, 2018 at 7:50 AM ]
https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/05/22/top-5-observations-as-49ers-ota-practices-start/

Garoppolo's best throws Tuesday, or at least his best connection, were on horizontal passes to new running back Jerick McKinnon.
"I'm very excited. It's been exactly what we were hoping for so far," Shanahan said of McKinnon. "We can see the athlete on tape, but I didn't know the person. I'd heard a lot about it. He's been as good as advertised, if not better."
Shanahan cautioned not to read too much into these first couple days of team activities and that he'll have a truer gauge once mandatory minicamp arrives June 12.

or the fact that garnett hasn't done any football activities for almost a year now, plus how many guys can actually block buckner. I'll reserve judgement till the pads come out, whether its positive or negative news. That goes for Thomas also.
Originally posted by gold49digger:

or the fact that garnett hasn't done any football activities for almost a year now, plus how many guys can actually block buckner. I'll reserve judgement till the pads come out, whether its positive or negative news. That goes for Thomas also.

yeah you can't really judge the trenches/pass rush until the pads come on.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by RabidNiner:
https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/05/22/top-5-observations-as-49ers-ota-practices-start/

Garoppolo's best throws Tuesday, or at least his best connection, were on horizontal passes to new running back Jerick McKinnon.
"I'm very excited. It's been exactly what we were hoping for so far," Shanahan said of McKinnon. "We can see the athlete on tape, but I didn't know the person. I'd heard a lot about it. He's been as good as advertised, if not better."
Shanahan cautioned not to read too much into these first couple days of team activities and that he'll have a truer gauge once mandatory minicamp arrives June 12.

translation, Jimmy still can't hit anything further than 10 yards down the field.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

translation, Jimmy still can't hit anything further than 10 yards down the field.

Read somewhere else that there were some "ugly" throws "deep". Didn't surprise me. Our QB isn't perfect. He has flaws. And we all saw that he was inconsistent on deeper throws last year - was hoping he'd gotten better at them, we'll see.

Edit: oh and thanks for the thread.
[ Edited by Lobo49er on May 23, 2018 at 7:58 AM ]
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Video in link

http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/article211689829.html

had a long TD bomb to Boldin Jr yesterday.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on May 23, 2018 at 8:27 AM ]

If only he had that huge arm like Montana.

Oh also found this fake news on the front page.

Garoppolo hit Marquise Goodwin on several occasions. The two warmed up together during the first special teams period. They then connected on a pass deep down the middle of the field in full-team work. Goodwin made a leaping grab after running a deep crossing route from left to right. The other big play between the two came during the 7-on-7 period. Garoppolo found Goodwin 30 yards down the right sideline.

But Jimmy can hit anything from Dat Ass thread so he should still be honored.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

I agree. Saying any lineman, offense or defense, is either being manhandled or is manhandling when there's not even shells on makes no sense.
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by NYniner85:

I agree. Saying any lineman, offense or defense, is either being manhandled or is manhandling when there's not even shells on makes no sense.

Plus, working against these DL will help all the OL. If Garnett is going to be an NFL starter Shanahan should know soon, after TC!
When he says manhandled by Buckner and Thomas, does he mean lining up in thy gap between them? I don't think any guard could handle both of them.
Share 49ersWebzone