There are 83 users in the forums

Mike McGlinchey-OT-Denver Broncos

Shop 49ers game tickets
What's the plan here with McG? Now would be the time for extension, unless we want to play out the deal and say goodbye, but that leaves us short one tackle. I figure after an injured 2021 the price for extension may be reduced or reasonable.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
What's the plan here with McG? Now would be the time for extension, unless we want to play out the deal and say goodbye, but that leaves us short one tackle. I figure after an injured 2021 the price for extension may be reduced or reasonable.

How much longer is he under contract? I'd like to see how he plays post surgery before thinking about an extension.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
I had zero faith in him when he was fully healthy - I have even less now.

He will get someone killed out there

This

and yet,, some people again. think the o line is not as bad as most of us know it is
Originally posted by NotAFinga42:

How much longer is he under contract? I'd like to see how he plays post surgery before thinking about an extension.

This is it 2022 is contract year. You could do that but:

A) he would be a FA
B) if he does rebound with a healthy solid campaign our price tag goes up big time

People around here seem to like to clown on the guy but he's 27, he's 6'8 310lbs, a former top 10 pick, has 52 starts and we picked up his 5th year option which is this year.
Still has a lot of football out in front and I suspect he would get good money on the open market. Clubs pay money and value this position.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

A) he would be a FA
B) if he does rebound with a healthy solid campaign our price tag goes up big time

People around here seem to like to clown on the guy but he's 27, he's 6'8 310lbs, a former top 10 pick, has 52 starts and we picked up his 5th year option which is this year.
Still has a lot of football out in front and I suspect he would get good money on the open market. Clubs pay money and value this position.

after 4 years we have yet to see any good football from him but thats beside the point
Originally posted by cciowa:

A) he would be a FA

after 4 years we have yet to see any good football from him but thats beside the point

Why did they pick up his fifth year option if what you said is correct?

A) he would be a FA

I'm not clowning, but no way do I want to resign him before I see how he plays and holds up. If he plays as good as you suggest, which I highly doubt, that means we had a good year and can debate what an extension would look like.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

A) he would be a FA

He's lousy in pass protection - we need him to be better.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Mar 30, 2022 at 9:55 AM ]

A) he would be a FA

I'm not clowning, but no way do I want to resign him before I see how he plays and holds up. If he plays as good as you suggest, which I highly doubt, that means we had a good year and can debate what an extension would look like.

Just saying if you think he's gonna have a good year the time to resign is now as you could get him cheaper it would save the team cap dollars. Probably would save millions per year to do it now rather than waiting if he has a good season and puts the injury question to rest.

If you think he's gonna have a bad year we should just play out the deal or we even could consider trading him now for a pick or something, if he has no future in our plans.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

A) he would be a FA

because for whatever reason. this regime,.. and all niner regimes going back to 2011 do not value pass protection.. the guy is horrid in pass protection but they stick with him.... i have no clue why.

A) he would be a FA

because for whatever reason. this regime,.. and all niner regimes going back to 2011 do not value pass protection.. the guy is horrid in pass protection but they stick with him.... i have no clue why.

I think with Trey he will magically become great at pass pro cuz TL actually knows what to do when the play is off schedule. Knows how to make the first guy miss as well.
If they had a #1 draft pick I'd say let him walk. Finding a starting tackle in later rounds is hit or miss, mostly miss. I think we've seen the best this guy has to offer. They didn't address the situation in free agency, I don't know if there is anything better on the roster.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
If they had a #1 draft pick I'd say let him walk. Finding a starting tackle in later rounds is hit or miss, mostly miss. I think we've seen the best this guy has to offer. They didn't address the situation in free agency, I don't know if there is anything better on the roster.

If the teams bullish on Jaylon Moore I could see them flipping McG out for an asset. I don't think he'd fetch anywhere near a #1 coming off an injury and needing a second contract. Second contracts are usually the most expensive. Probably could get a 3rd or early day 3 pick.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

A) he would be a FA

I think with Trey he will magically become great at pass pro cuz TL actually knows what to do when the play is off schedule. Knows how to make the first guy miss as well.

a change in qb does not magically with the snap of the fingers make you better in pass protection.... its usually fools gold,,, you want proof? fine,, 2011... with alex as the qb,,, pass protection sucked.... we went to ck... in the beginning. he moved around.. his footwork was better. it covered up poor pass protection but after a while we saw.. he was not very good and it was fools gold..... after that no matter the qb pass protection was bad..... so here comes jimmy.... in his first few starts.. oh my.. his footwork is good. he moves around.. he can make our pass protection look better... no,, ended up fools gold.... now you think trey will make things better.. sooner or later. pass protection like your secondary HAS to stand on their own. it is malpractice for the team to give the keys to a young qb and not value pass protection and just HOPE his mere presence will ascend pass protection... we have seen this time and time again... cc just stated facts.. not the usual ramblings of cc.. but facts
A RT who struggles with Pass Protection has been having to skip leg day on his drop step leg. Ohh yeah I got high hopes for him this year.

never mind thought he tore his right quad it was his left
[ Edited by Hysterikal on Mar 30, 2022 at 10:27 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone