There are 82 users in the forums

10am Game Proposal.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by susweel:
Soft ass teams now days, my dude bill Walsh didn't have no issues whooping up on east coast teams. I blame millennials

JH didn't either.
Lol just get rid of the 10am games and add 2 more Sunday night games. Hard sometimes getting in fantasy lineup changes by 7am in hawaii with a hangover.
Last year or the year before Hawks fans got super into this as an argument for external unfairness that explained why their team didn't go 16-0 ever year.

They even ran analyses, which upon cursory inspection were all goosed up and data hacked in order to reach their desired conclusion that it was the external unfairness of start times that caused the Seahawks to lose sometimes.

I remember finding it all annoying enough to spend an hour or so peeking into the (scant) peer-reviewed research on this stuff, and my takeaway was that it doesn't matter, and if it does matter, it doesn't really matter in any meaningful way.

Overall my sense on this is that fans that are really into the 10am start time thing are the more reasonable wing of fans who insist that the refs are week-in-and-week-out missing calls that only hurt their favorite team (the middleground of this type of fan), and fans who insist that the NFL is rigged against their favorite team (the fringes of this type of fan --- every fanbase has all three of these).

As for the NFL limiting 10AM EST start times to three per year for West Coast teams, yeah, sure, whatever. The league doesn't want to do it because it creates scheduling problems, but if players and teams want it for whatever reason, it's not like there's a good reason for us as fans to be opposed to it.
[ Edited by PopeyeJonesing on Mar 21, 2018 at 2:10 PM ]
Originally posted by VDSF:
Originally posted by susweel:
Soft ass teams now days, my dude bill Walsh didn't have no issues whooping up on east coast teams. I blame millennials

THIS.

I blame their parents for raising them like that.
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
Last year or the year before Hawks fans got super into this as an argument for external unfairness that explained why their team didn't go 16-0 ever year.

They even ran analyses, which upon cursory inspection were all goosed up and data hacked in order to reach their desired conclusion that it was the external unfairness of start times that caused the Seahawks to lose sometimes.

I remember finding it all annoying enough to spend an hour or so peeking into the (scant) peer-reviewed research on this stuff, and my takeaway was that it doesn't matter, and if it does matter, it doesn't really matter in any meaningful way.

Overall my sense on this is that fans that are really into the 10am start time thing are the more reasonable wing of fans who insist that the refs are week-in-and-week-out missing calls that only hurt their favorite team (the middleground of this type of fan), and fans who insist that the NFL is rigged against their favorite team (the fringes of this type of fan --- every fanbase has all three of these).

As for the NFL limiting 10AM EST start times to three per year for West Coast teams, yeah, sure, whatever. The league doesn't want to do it because it creates scheduling problems, but if players and teams want it for whatever reason, it's not like there's a good reason for us as fans to be opposed to it.
I gotta agree. Maybe 10am games make a minor difference, but nobody can convince me that an hour or two timezone difference is that dramatic. Come on.
My only concern is Seattle, Oakland and the Rams didn't join in...there's usually strength in numbers. While it's a good initiative, my gut tells me it'll be denied. Eastern teams can't justifiably protest it, as they already play a number of games at 4. p.m. their time (1 p.m. PST). That said, that old East Coast bias will likely rear its ugly head again...as much as that just sucks.
Originally posted by theduke85:
I gotta agree. Maybe 10am games make a minor difference, but nobody can convince me that an hour or two timezone difference is that dramatic. Come on.

I would say it plays a big part for the player. If your whole routine is in bed by 9, up at 5, at the stadium by 8.
Now the routine is in bed by 6, up at 2, stadium by 5.
  • Morgy
  • Hey bud, what’s your problem?
I never understood why a professional athlete would play any different at 10AM as opposed to 1PM.
Whenever teams from opposing coasts are scheduled to play, they should just play in a neutral stadium somewhere in the middle of the country / central time zone, thus solving both distance and time issues
Originally posted by Morgan49:
I never understood why a professional athlete would play any different at 10AM as opposed to 1PM.
ever go to 1pm away games ?
Tailgating or pregaming at 8 or 9am local time is really partying at 5/6am WC time

jet lag
[ Edited by DonnieDarko on Mar 21, 2018 at 3:42 PM ]
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
seems fair, west coast teams get screwed with travel

Yeah

I'm sure if enough thought went into it; they'd come up with a better format that currently exists.
  • Morgy
  • Hey bud, what’s your problem?

jet lag

I guess.
I mean it's really that f**king hard for the schedulers to put a few of these games in the afternoon to level the playing field?

I call b******t

jet lag

I guess.

Definitely a body clock thing. I travel to the east coast and Australia a few times a year. No matter what, it still takes a couple of days to acclimate.
Share 49ersWebzone