LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 302 users in the forums

What Is The 49er's Absolute Biggest Need Going Into 2018 Season?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What Is The 49er's Absolute Biggest Need Going Into 2018 Season?

Thanks to Jimmy G, the O-line and receiving core are not as dire. The same goes for an elite edge rusher...
Like an elite QB making the offense better, so does a dominant pass rusher improves the play of the secondary as well as the rest of the defense.

You have that piece, the rest will follow, see Fred Dean.
[ Edited by vermonator on Jan 12, 2018 at 8:41 AM ]
Originally posted by vermonator:
Thanks to Jimmy G, the O-line and receiver core are not as dire, but an elite edge rusher still is...

You have that piece, the rest will follow, see Fred Dean.

If there was a Fred Dean in this draft I don't think we would be arguing. The O line remains dire, particularly the interior, and one hard tackle can end our season.
Originally posted by English:
If there was a Fred Dean in this draft I don't think we would be arguing. The O line remains dire, particularly the interior, and one hard tackle can end our season.

I will agree that the run blocking is still terrible, but Jimmy Gs quick release and his ability to extend plays with his feet have dramatically improved the pass blocking. That said, Center and Guard are glaring needs going into the off-season. But those two positions shouldn't be that difficult to improve in free agency and the draft. Finding an elite pass rusher will be tough and to me, is the "absolute biggest need going Into 2018 Season".
O-line. Protect the GD quarterback!

"It's a simple game. You throw the QB. You hit the QB. You catch the QB." - apologies to Bull Durham
Oline but I want a real receiver as well. We have enough draft picks, money and with free agency. We can afford to be a little aggressive if there's someone we want,

Like Jarvis Landry and Allen Robinson eh?
[ Edited by Wu-5Rings on Jan 12, 2018 at 8:51 AM ]
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
O line. Before Garoppolo starts following in Luck's footsteps. I know Jimmy gets the ball out quickly but that doesnt stop the late hits, the cheap shots and the cumulative effects of being knocked down by 300 pound linemen. He was able to handle it last season but he did get quite knocked around. I dont want to see us screwing up at franchise qb like the Colts have.

This. We need to limit the hits Jimmy takes, he is the franchise.

Originally posted by defenderDX:
if we draft another D-lineman in the 1st round I think I will lose my mind

Don't be surprised lol
Originally posted by RTFirefly:
O-line. Protect the GD quarterback!

"It's a simple game. You throw the QB. You hit the QB. You catch the QB." - apologies to Bull Durham

lol you'll be surprised how simple logic can be Missed bye coaches.
[ Edited by Constantine on Jan 12, 2018 at 8:56 AM ]
Originally posted by tavian:
UFA's also something that should be considered

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/san-francisco-49ers/

Which if any of these UFA's are a must sign for you guys? Aside from the JG no brainer.

Cornellius Carradine - excellent run stuffing 5/6T. Tough call here. Depends on if Saleh wants Solomon Thomas and Arik Armstead to take over this spot. We still have Ronald Blair for this position too.

Garry Gilliam - resign as a swing T
Brock Coyle - resign to backup/ST contract
Brandon Fusco - resign to a competing starting G position
Carlos Hyde/Eric Reid/Daniel Kilgore - let them test the market and call us before you sign.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jan 12, 2018 at 9:15 AM ]
O line. Before Garoppolo starts following in Luck's footsteps. I know Jimmy gets the ball out quickly but that doesnt stop the late hits, the cheap shots and the cumulative effects of being knocked down by 300 pound linemen. He was able to handle it last season but he did get quite knocked around. I dont want to see us screwing up at franchise qb like the Colts have.

Indeed. Even more, Jimmy often has to rush through his progressions and take more risks because his mental clock accelerates when the rush gets immediate penetration. Jimmy looks great behind an incompetent o-line; he'll look even better when we add 3 new starters to it.

Not to mention we can't run block for crap.
Originally posted by SammyFrancisco:

Indeed. Even more, Jimmy often has to rush through his progressions and take more risks because his mental clock accelerates when the rush gets immediate penetration. Jimmy looks great behind an incompetent o-line; he'll look even better when we add 3 new starters to it.

Not to mention we can't run block for crap.

Exactly what you both said, saved me from typing more lol

• thl408
I'm all about building a good defense, but only after the Golden Child is protected. Interior OL should be priority #1 for 2018. Doesn't have to be elite, average to slightly above average will do.
Originally posted by thl408:
I'm all about building a good defense, but only after the Golden Child is protected. Interior OL should be priority #1 for 2018. Doesn't have to be elite, average to slightly above average will do.

I want elite, let's do the exact opposite of Seattle and focus on the o-line please..
Originally posted by babarvaart:
Originally posted by Nastastical:
Edge rusher and it's not even close.

Jimmy and KS will put up points against anyone. Jimmy has also shown that he can get the ball out quick and avoid the big hits. Can our OL use an upgrade at LG/RG? Sure, but if we truly want to compete we have to fix our inept pass rush. We can't have the TJ Yates of the league sitting all day in the pocket and dissecting your defense on 3rd down because you can't bring pressure without blitzing.

yup
Originally posted by defenderDX:
if we draft another D-lineman in the 1st round I think I will lose my mind

While I agree DE is not the biggest need (OL imo), that doesn't mean it isn't still a huge need. And, edge rusher is a premium position, unlike center or guard. That means if we want a premium prospect, we'll have to get him early. Those guys don't hang around till Day 2/3. By contrast, starting-caliber interior linemen are much easier to find in free agency and the later rounds, especially this year, luckily for us. There are guys that will go in the 2nd or 3rd that project as immediate starters: Braden Smith from Auburn and Frank Ragnow from Arkansas are two of my favorites. There's also Isaiah Wynn, Will Hernandez, and others...

I'm thinking either Edge or CB in the 1st. Follow that with O-Linemen with 3 of the next 4-5 picks.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by CornellU49er:
In order:

1. Oline - as others mentioned in particular to enable a top 10 rushing attack. Biggest single thing this team can do to become a top contender.
2. Elite ER
3. Top tier Corner opposite AW
4. True #1 WR

Of course we can always improve in other areas - another game changing RB and LB top the list - but those are easily top 4 in order IMHO.

To execute I like to look at risk reward.

1. Oline is the safest big $ free agency bet and has become an increasingly risky pick at the top of the draft as many more top olineman - especially tackles - have been busts in recent years. I think this is where we spend a big chunk of money in FA. Ideally a G and a C.

2. Top ER requires top talent and athletic gifts and almost never available in FA. Likely will have to spend a rd 1 or 2 pick to find one.

3. Risky at the top of the draft and in FA. I like the shotgun approach of a middle round CB every year and with good talent evaluators you hit on one here and there. Ideally keep the young talent flowing and never spend top $ for a CB to keep cap structure inline. Good start with AW last year. Do it again this year.

4. Elite WR - this one is hard. Every once in a while there is a draft with a no doubt about it physical freak - megatron, Julio, AJ green - worth a top pick. If so go get one. If not (and this is not one of those years) 1st round WR is too risky. In FA so much of WR performance is dictated by QB play. When you have a bad QB and you bring in a good WR often their production is disappointing. With Jimmy we could potentially see the opposite effect with someone whose stock is a little down right now in FA or a middle round prospect with the right measurables and potential.

5. RBs can be had mid to late rounds. Not worth a 1st round pick.

6. Elite game changing LB is another very safe position to use a top draft pick on where you simply have to have top athletic gifts.

So if things play out perfectly I want to see Oline addressed in FA. Either ER or LB in round 1. CB, WR, RB, and whichever of ER or LB wasn't addressed in Rd1 as top priorities in middle rounds.
Share 49ersWebzone