There are 101 users in the forums

Open Letter to 49ers from SBL Owners losing money

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Hi everyone,

This may not apply to most people, but I wanted to share this email I sent to my service representative who emailed me how I was enjoying the fan experience. I bought 2 Club seats (section 114) and I'm losing money annually, and I'm hoping others share my pain to the point that Jed York does something to make us feel valued.

"Hi (service representative),

To be blunt, I am extremely unhappy with the 49ers organization, especially ownership. I bought expensive club seats outside my means, because of my love for the team and I thought I could sell tickets to games I couldn't go to. Instead, for the 4th consecutive season (all 4 years at Levi's), I have lost thousands of dollars on season tickets. I keep renewing because I invested $60,000 for the seat license, and hope that the team would improve, but like most 49er fans in my section, I can't afford to be patient. There are games I couldn't attend sell that went unsold because of lack of interest, or because I didn't resell my $350 tickets for $50 each. Especially with preseason ticket losses, it adds up. I listed my SBL in two previous years for less than what I paid, but I didn't get a single offer.

One of the perks that was advertised in my section was access to the BNY Club Lounge. However, there is never a place to sit because the room is packed mostly with people outside the club section. People I know are able to sneak into the section past security. Meanwhile there is tight security keeping people away from accessing the free food for the $80,000/seat; that shows us fans that the billionaire owner is more interested in making every dollar than deliver on a promise to fans who gave them $30,000 for the right to seats that no one wants on gameday. The Falcons opened a new stadium AFTER a SuperBowl appearance, and still thanked their fans with low concessions (http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...s-benz-stadium). I went to a game in Seattle, where Club section fans can take free photos and mingle with alumni. Even the Sharks have fan events where they can interact with alumni. The 49ers don't care about the fans. I went to the opening game and I didn't get the giveaway which I thought would be at my seat. I couldn't even get into the game before kickoff because the Levi's app wasnt connecting outside the stadium for many of us who had to stand in another line to get printed tickets.

The 49ers acknowledged this is a rebuilding year with another bad team but still gounge their fans ... because they can. Al Guido was touting the 90%+ renewal of season tickets, but that's manipulative statement because there are many fans who are too invested in the SBLs and hoping for a turnaround the next year. There are no fan events, there are no perks to sitting in a Club section, no giveaways specifically for people who invested more money than others. Jed York doesn't care because he doesn't have to.

If you could do anything for me, please help me find a way to get out from my Club seats, recoup most of what I spent on the SBLs. I was planning to call you or another service representative to see if I have any options. We can chat on the phone too. "
  • Garce
  • Veteran
It's hard for me to fathom dropping $60k on tickets and seeing Jed and Baalke absolutely run this franchise back into the ground and a couple years of success.

That's brutal man. You have every right to be upset.

That being said Jed has kept his mouth shut this season and hired what seems to be the right people who have seemed to have found the right QB. Things are looking up. But that doesn't excuse Jed from his responsibility.

I can only hope he needs your words and s**t gets better and you can realize some value on your investment.

to you for sticking with it thus far.
As far as losing money, you knew when you invested that it could be a gamble. Theres no guarantee that when you sink a significant amount of money into something that youll be able to get all your money back, or make a profit. Dropping 10's of thousands of dollars into football seats is pretty much a risk/reward investment opportunity, and so far its been a bad investment. The 49ers never promised that you wouldnt lose money. They would havr much prefered that your seats have doubled in value, but thats not the way the franchise went.

As for the rest of it, you have a legitimate argument as to why they aren't giving you enough perks.

With a franchise QB now on board, and a quality coach/GM combo, I would suggest you try to keep the seats, because your patience will finally start paying off soon in all likelihood.
Never use sports as an investment. Ilook at sports as a hobby.
Good email dude, unfortunately management doesn't give a f**k. They know the only thing that matters is winning. Jimmy G may save them (hopefully)
Sorry to hear that. SBL's suck. Hopefully interest is back up next year.
Good message.
BRILLIANT post. Absolutely NO ONE gets screwed more than the SBL holder. We are the MOST loyal fans since put our money where are mouths are. What do we get for our loyalty? Scoffed at by Jed while he counts his money. Oh WAIT! This year we got a "free" pass to the museum. Wow. What a load of bullsh!t. SBL holders should have unlimited access to the museum, stadium tours and a myriad of other perks. The casual fan can get a ticket for $30 while we, the loyal "lifers" pay FULL FACE VALUE along with 10's of thousands of dollars for the "right" to purchase them.

I'm glad I didn't go for the lower section like the original poster. I got great 2nd deck seats for half the cost. (But these days you can pretty much sit anywhere u like in the half empty stadium) Also I never considered it an investment. I never had any intention of selling tickets. I've been to every game. After next year I'll be paid off.

Now that I think of it, I'm going to call them tomorrow a WAIVE the final year of charges
Unfortunately, that letter won't make it to Jed's desk. It will most likely be read by his secretary and that's as far as it will go. SMH. This is why I never buy SBL's because the ownership can do a 180 once they get their money. Warriors fans: buyer's beware. You're next.
Share 49ersWebzone