There are 154 users in the forums

When will Jimmy G lead the Team to a "Niners-Saints 1980"-Type Statement Victory

Shop Find 49ers gear online

When will Jimmy G lead the Team to a "Niners-Saints 1980"-Type Statement Victory

^ December 7, 1980 is considered by many who remember this game as the unofficial "launch" of the 49ers Dynasty of the 80's...will the Jimmy Garoppolo era Niners have a similar such catalyst moment in the near future?
[ Edited by Dr_Bill_Walsh on Dec 17, 2017 at 8:46 AM ]
He's leading us back from a 0-9 season, isn't that enough
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Dec 17, 2017 at 8:44 AM ]
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

Bear game was step 1 (road comeback)

Today was step 2 (home comeback)

If he leads an epic comeback (down by 2+ scores) upset in one of the two remaining games agains the Jags or Rams = dynasty launched
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

Bear game was step 1 (road comeback)

Today was step 2 (home comeback)

If he leads an epic comeback (down by 2+ scores) upset in one of the two remaining games agains the Jags or Rams = dynasty launched

Its alreary launched . question should be when he will have his signature moment doe i suppose
Yesterday was IT!!!
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Yesterday was IT!!!

This team is obviously not as bad as the team Walsh inheirited in 1979. But even with Joe Montana in mind, I've never witnessed anything like this. Montana had some dud games in 1980. There were times I seriously wondered if he wasn't a mistake of a pick. It is that signature New Orleans game that served as his coming out party. Before that coming out party, Montana played some real stinkers.

Jimmy G. started out hot and has gotten hotter with every passing week. We haven't seen this man play his best game yet and I dare say he has established himself as the best QB in football. Simply put, he does everything. He hits nearly every receiver with quick, laser like throws that no defense has been able to stop.

This man literally toyed with the NFL's best defense yesterday. He destroyed them. He is running Shanny's offense like no other signal-caller ever has. It's like the man is directing a symphony orchestra out there. While I saw this same kind of magic between Bill Walsh and Joe Montana, it took years for that relationship to flourish and develop. Jimmy G. has done all of this and more in less than half a season.

We've gone from league laughingstock to the team nobody wants to face overnight.

Astounding. Simply astounding.
Originally posted by billbird2111:
This team is obviously not as bad as the team Walsh inheirited in 1979. But even with Joe Montana in mind, I've never witnessed anything like this. Montana had some dud games in 1980. There were times I seriously wondered if he wasn't a mistake of a pick. It is that signature New Orleans game that served as his coming out party. Before that coming out party, Montana played some real stinkers.

Jimmy G. started out hot and has gotten hotter with every passing week. We haven't seen this man play his best game yet and I dare say he has established himself as the best QB in football. Simply put, he does everything. He hits nearly every receiver with quick, laser like throws that no defense has been able to stop.

This man literally toyed with the NFL's best defense yesterday. He destroyed them. He is running Shanny's offense like no other signal-caller ever has. It's like the man is directing a symphony orchestra out there. While I saw this same kind of magic between Bill Walsh and Joe Montana, it took years for that relationship to flourish and develop. Jimmy G. has done all of this and more in less than half a season.

We've gone from league laughingstock to the team nobody wants to face overnight.

This. That kind of performance kind of makes me really want to, go all in with this draft. Our continued winning ways will make it difficult (trade down options are beginning to dry up) to acquire more picks, but initially, I wanted us to have two first rounders and two second rounders. Now, not so sure how we can pull that off without trading down too far (I don't want to be outside of the top-10 with our first pick) or touching next year's draft picks.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

This. That kind of performance kind of makes me really want to, go all in with this draft. Our continued winning ways will make it difficult (trade down options are beginning to dry up) to acquire more picks, but initially, I wanted us to have two first rounders and two second rounders. Now, not so sure how we can pull that off without trading down too far (I don't want to be outside of the top-10 with our first pick) or touching next year's draft picks.

This team is technically worse then any other team in 49er history, soo Dilly Dilly G Thang
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

This team is technically worse then any other team in 49er history, soo Dilly Dilly G Thang

You and I will have to respectfully agree to disagree on this point. The 1979 and 1980 teams were so brutally bad that Bill Walsh held weekly tryouts for any players who wanted to give it a shot. Didn't matter where you played college ball or if you were a former high school star looking for a shot. If you thought you had something to contribute, you got a tryout from the great Bill Walsh.

Shanny has not been forced to do this. He has scanned the waiver wires for talent and had Lynch pull the trigger on trades, but he's not been forced to hold open tryouts.

Share 49ersWebzone