There are 211 users in the forums

We need weapons.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
But many times this season when the QB has had time to throw no one is breaking free..

Wide receivers have been getting open every single game. Many times in the endzone. You can look through the game film review thread weekly for examples. The QB either doesn't see them or is too busy running for their life.

Shanahan is excellent at scheming guys open. What he can't do is scheme mediocre linemen into not getting blown off the line of scrimmage play after play.

They need upgrades at WR and RB but all the offensive weapons in the world don't mean diddly squat if you can't block for your RB and protect your QB. If your QB goes down, your season is over, regardless of who you have running routes out there.

I wanna subscribe to that NFL package where you get the all 22 view of each play. I'm all for fixing the offensive front and understand without them nothing else matters. Hopefully we can address it with some quality FA pick ups and a second or third rounder as well. I'm just dying to see one legit playmaker on offense. One who didn't only rely on scheme to get open, but who can make a play with ball in his hands.
[ Edited by jays9ers on Nov 4, 2017 at 9:14 PM ]
  • Antix
  • Veteran
We do need weapons but we need an oline first and most importantly. Guys can get open, but to hit the big plays and score points 24-27 consistenly we have to have time to throw the ball.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
We need a #1 WR to complement Jimmy.
Harbaugh's first year IIRC, by the time we ran into the Giants in the NFCCG..

O-Line= Beast
"Weapons"= Kyle Williams, Brett Swain etc...

#fixthetrenches
Originally posted by mayo49:

Extremely difficult to complete passes while laying on your back.

The first priority should be upgrading the OL, however many resources that takes. You can always add a WR later on, but the OL has to be substantially improved by next season.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

The first priority should be upgrading the OL, however many resources that takes. You can always add a WR later on, but the OL has to be substantially improved by next season.

Yeah, but what do we do with our top 3 pick? It's too high to take an OG which is what we need.

Yeah, but what do we do with our top 3 pick? It's too high to take an OG which is what we need.

You pray some players, hopefully QBs, show some merit over these last few weeks. That way there is more than one person worthy of such a high pick. And that way, if you don't want or have the chance of getting SB, you will have a lot of suitors for your pick and you can trade back and fill holes while not wasting your equity.
[ Edited by Polkadots on Nov 4, 2017 at 9:07 PM ]

Trade back a bit, take BPA. It appears that the top OL in the draft is a guard, and I would have no problem with them drafting him in the top 10 if they believe he's someone that can step in, start from Day 1 and play well. Sign a couple OL in FA and suddenly you have a much more talent laden unit, you can use the remaining picks to address edge rusher, LB, as well as adding weapons to the offense.
  • Tombo
  • Veteran
I've got............................oh wait, I thought you were talking about the "Antifa civil war" that was supposed to happen today.

They need almost everything. It's an 0-8 team.

So are we going to draft one or get one in FA? With everyone wanting to draft Barkley, the best available OL and the best pass rusher, we can't really solve every problem in one offseason.
Originally posted by Imcaleburnot:
Harbaugh's first year IIRC, by the time we ran into the Giants in the NFCCG..

O-Line= Beast
"Weapons"= Kyle Williams, Brett Swain etc...

#fixthetrenches

This. Fix the interior line, then get the weapons. Brick by brick.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerSickness:

I know we are, I just think we can zero in on a wideout if we trade down some.

I am fairly sure you are right, either that or an edge rusher. Thing is, if we have a decent line and now we have Garoppolo, I think we will remember how good Garcon, Hyde and Juszczyk are. Sure, we need more weapons and I am certain they will be coming.

Trade down from the 1st round pick to a qb needy team?
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:

I am fairly sure you are right, either that or an edge rusher. Thing is, if we have a decent line and now we have Garoppolo, I think we will remember how good Garcon, Hyde and Juszczyk are. Sure, we need more weapons and I am certain they will be coming.

Trade down from the 1st round pick to a qb needy team?

Yeah, I wouldn't mind a trade down and snag Chubb or Key to address our pass rush. They should be available in the #5 - #7 range.
Share 49ersWebzone