LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 190 users in the forums

Can a capologists chime in?? With 59 Million in cap space for 2017, why not sign Garropolo

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
The annual average is irrelevant. Remember that.

This negotiation is 100% about the guaranteed money. Would imagine he'll easily get $70M guaranteed. If you'r Garoppolo... why would you accept less when you 100% know the market will easily pay you that AND you will easily make that in three years of franchise tags?
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by post_primitive:
Originally posted by faithful23:
Originally posted by smitcal:
If I was Paraag I'd come in with the old "Look Jimmy, we'd love to pay you that kind money but let's be real, the more you get the more chance Tomlinson will be protecting you. You won't be able to walk after a year. The more structured you make this deal, the better the O-line we can get to protect you. Capiche"

Exactly!!!

No, not exactly. We have plenty of money to sign any FAs we want and still not lowball JG.

Yes, Brady plays for $15M/year. He's also on what, his third or forth veteran contract? His fifth contract? He has made his money. He has a billionaire wife. He's playing for his legacy at this point.

You can't apply that logic to a young franchise QB coming off his rookie contract. JG wants to get paid—he deserves to get paid. We can talk about him taking "team friendly" contracts when he's 40, filthy rich, and has a fistful of rings.

You guys are too much. We are drowning in cap room and you want to lowball the future of our franchise.

Wouldn't it be nice if Jimmy marries a billionaire Sillicon Valley executive like...

Founder, CEO, Chairwoman, Theranos
When she was a sophomore at Stanford in 2003, Elizabeth Holmes founded healthcare-technology company Theranos and within months she dropped out of school to pursue it full time. Today, she's America's youngest female billionaire with a net worth of $4.6 billion.

... So Jimmy can give us a discount on his Franchise QB Contract? Maybe play for something like 5 million a year instead of the 30+ million he'll be asking for?
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
I'd hope for 6yr/135mil. I'd be fine with 5yr/135mil

Id be fine with a 5 year/135 mill as well. This is not a penny pinching type of negotiation lol.

This seems in line with reality.

Would imagine $70-$80M guaranteed in that deal...most of which to be paid in year 1 and year 2 to offset the cap burden in future years.
Originally posted by okdkid:

Id be fine with a 5 year/135 mill as well. This is not a penny pinching type of negotiation lol.

Would imagine $70-$80M guaranteed in that deal...most of which to be paid in year 1 and year 2 to offset the cap burden in future years.

Sounds good to me
  • Happs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by post_primitive:
Originally posted by faithful23:
Originally posted by smitcal:
If I was Paraag I'd come in with the old "Look Jimmy, we'd love to pay you that kind money but let's be real, the more you get the more chance Tomlinson will be protecting you. You won't be able to walk after a year. The more structured you make this deal, the better the O-line we can get to protect you. Capiche"

Exactly!!!

No, not exactly. We have plenty of money to sign any FAs we want and still not lowball JG.

Yes, Brady plays for $15M/year. He's also on what, his third or forth veteran contract? His fifth contract? He has made his money. He has a billionaire wife. He's playing for his legacy at this point.

You can't apply that logic to a young franchise QB coming off his rookie contract. JG wants to get paid—he deserves to get paid. We can talk about him taking "team friendly" contracts when he's 40, filthy rich, and has a fistful of rings.

You guys are too much. We are drowning in cap room and you want to lowball the future of our franchise.

Wouldn't it be nice if Jimmy marries a billionaire Sillicon Valley executive like...

Founder, CEO, Chairwoman, Theranos
When she was a sophomore at Stanford in 2003, Elizabeth Holmes founded healthcare-technology company Theranos and within months she dropped out of school to pursue it full time. Today, she's America's youngest female billionaire with a net worth of $4.6 billion.

... So Jimmy can give us a discount on his Franchise QB Contract? Maybe play for something like 5 million a year instead of the 30+ million he'll be asking for?

This lady lost her fortune when Theranos failed. The blood testing product was a scam.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/matthewherper/2016/06/01/from-4-5-billion-to-nothing-forbes-revises-estimated-net-worth-of-theranos-founder-elizabeth-holmes/#3461a21f3633

Off topic, but laughed when I saw who it was. LOL.
<iframe src='//gifs.com/embed/rounders-pay-that-man-his-money-yP1' frameborder='0' scrolling='no' width='480px' height='270px' style='-webkit-backface-visibility: hidden;-webkit-transform: scale(1);' ></iframe>
I wonder how much cheaper we could sign him if we went full NBA and guaranteed his entire contract?

Sounds very doable.

He'd be worth every penny.

Sure would make us more attractive to quality FAs
The annual average is irrelevant. Remember that.

This negotiation is 100% about the guaranteed money. Would imagine he'll easily get $70M guaranteed. If you'r Garoppolo... why would you accept less when you 100% know the market will easily pay you that AND you will easily make that in three years of franchise tags?

This. I still think it would be best for Jimmy to take the franchise tag $24M guaranteed, and then get a $70-80M guaranteed contact the following year. Just got over $100M guaranteed by betting on himself. Now obviously it is a bit of a gamble but he could always buy insurance. Not sure why he would take a long term deal now, when he has all the leverage in this situation. And not sure why the 49ers should want to go over $24M guaranteed too. This would give them some protection if he ends up sucking next year. Then if he lights it up, well screw it, back up the brinks truck, dude is clearly worth it. With how hard it is to get franchise QB's, just pay him whatever he wants the following year.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Happs:
This lady lost her fortune when Theranos failed. The blood testing product was a scam.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/matthewherper/2016/06/01/from-4-5-billion-to-nothing-forbes-revises-estimated-net-worth-of-theranos-founder-elizabeth-holmes/#3461a21f3633

Off topic, but laughed when I saw who it was. LOL.

Ouch, I didn't know that! Oh well, maybe Jimmy might marry a millionaire super model like Tom Brady did.

Share 49ersWebzone