LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 306 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by 5thSFG:
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Thanks. Yet to your comment, the rest of that particular paragraph of what you bolded is laughable? It's exactly true and can't be discounted. I'll re-post that part as apparently it's needed:

Garoppolo has shown he can stay healthy. 2019 was just last year...he started all 19 games last year and didn't leave a single game due to injury. 20 of 32 teams last year had QBs that didn't start 16 regular season games. We'll see what this year's number looks like at season's end. Yes, Garoppolo has had some injuries...this is football and QBs are especially vulnerable (as we see every season). Hopefully, the team will address the C position/IOL. We all want him to stay healthy as we've seen what he can do in helping lead this team to many, many wins - I'll put next year's healthy starters with Garoppolo against any other team and I'll like the Niners' chances in every game.
everyone forgets that JG was targeted in a dirty play and play it off as injury prone.. just normal WZ haters

I mean, yes, he's had injuries. Next time, I guess I need to phrase it as "Garoppolo has shown he can stay healthy in a full season + three playoff games." This is the WZ, people will read things as they choose. To what you said, Q. Williams lands on anyone's ankle wrong and I'm betting on at least a high ankle sprain. The neglect of the OL, particularly the IOL, unfortunately caught up with the Niners in Garoppolo's injury. To write stuff like that off just as, "Garoppolo is injury prone", I don't agree with.

Our center(s) and right tackle have been our biggest Oline problems. The niners haven't neglected either one of those positions. The center position has been crushed by injuries, and McG is having a tough go at it.

Mismanaged? Maybe. Neglected? Nope

This is not the right thread, but I was really hoping they'd draft a promising Center in this past draft with Richburg's injury (though it sounds like they didn't know the extent of it). One very big reason is to make the right calls on the line and block well in both the run & pass...to help protect Garoppolo. Garland, though he did a pretty good job in filling in, is not a starting caliber C, especially against good teams. So to me, in not drafting a C last year, they didn't fortify one of the most important positions on the OL in C. Call it what you want - I used the word "neglect" but maybe that's a little harsh.
I've got a funny feeling Matthew Stafford will be taking his place next season...
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
I've got a funny feeling Matthew Stafford will be taking his place next season...
with a 24m dead cap hit to Detwa is nothing to laugh at
Originally posted by RasSuar:
You could say Kyle took a very meh QB and made him look better with short passing and a strong running game that protected and hid his weaknesses.

You could say that, but it would be dead wrong. If it were so easy to take a meh QB and pump them up in this offense with this line then Mullens would be lighting s**t up. But, alas, he did not.

Where's the, "Did we just become best friends? Yup!" meme?

They might not have much of a choice...

They might not have much of a choice...
matt is under contract, he has no choice. well one, retirement
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Giants is mid season. Chargers preseason...it's the fact that he actually ran dude. He's not a statue who won't run on a RPO or scramble if he has too.
He holds onto the ball too long in the pocket because he can't process the field quick enough. That doesn't make him immobile, just a bad QB.
Your clips aren't helping you at all.

Giants trash team.
Chargers pre- season scout defense.
Packers bring the house and miss therefore the Red Sea splits open, lucky.
There are no top defenses in the Big Ten West

Guy has one lucky play. He's immobile and gets blasted against first string defenses therefore he stays on the bench even behind a crap QB like Mullens like you said. But by all means carry on bro!
[ Edited by Niner4ever on Nov 30, 2020 at 6:45 PM ]
Best bet right now would be for Garoppolo to take a pay cut and cross our fingers he doesn't break again.

The next best option is to get a cheap veteran that can be a field manager while we hope a rookie can develop.

Don't bank on a top rookie QB via the draft.
Originally posted by Niner4ever:
Best bet right now would be for Garoppolo to take a pay cut and cross our fingers he doesn't break again.

The next best option is to get a cheap veteran that can be a field manager while we hope a rookie can develop.

Yeah, I keep seeing that and that's not going to happen.
Originally posted by RasSuar:
You could say Kyle took a very meh QB and made him look better with short passing and a strong running game that protected and hid his weaknesses.

You could say that, but it would be dead wrong. If it were so easy to take a meh QB and pump them up in this offense with this line then Mullens would be lighting s**t up. But, alas, he did not.

Or the guy he identified as the best QB in the 2017 draft and the only QB he was interested in.

• Koldo
  • Veteran
Draft a QB, get rid of Jimmy and sign Fitzmagic. There's your offseason plan.
Originally posted by NCommand:

Agree.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Completely disagree. I think the Niners are in a great spot with Garoppolo. Having a QB of his caliber...and then you continue to pair him with this starting roster they've built along with some key reserves. Here's why (speaking to a lot of the areas you mentioned):

-They still can draft a quality young backup in a guy like Mac Jones, perhaps in the 2nd, to be groomed by Shanahan and provide some healthy competition to Garoppolo going forward (gives the Niners more talent at the most important position in football...and talent that's on a rookie contract).

-You mention, "I suppose they could let Nick or CJ start the season if the rookie wasn't ready." No thank you. Starting next season with this roster and having Mullens or Beathard as the starter would hopefully never happen as it would be a disaster. We've seen four years of these two...this team with this quality roster needs a better backup QB, and why not draft a young, talented guy like Jones who could give this offense a good chance in any game if for some reason pressed into duty.

-Garoppolo's salary next year is $26M...10 other QBs are making more next year (and maybe more by the time next season starts)...I think a healthy Garoppolo for this team is definitely worth that salary next year (for such a premium position, you have to pay for it a little bit when you have a quality starter like JG).

-Regarding the $ needed for Free Agents, this team has only one very expensive starter to hopefully re-sign and that's Trent Williams. After that, there's only six other starters to re-sign (Juice & Brunskill on offense, D.J. Jones, K. Williams, Verrett & Moseley on defense). There's other key reserves to hopefully re-sign but none are going to break the bank...Hyder's excellent play might put him out of reach but guys like J. Reed, Wilson, Dwelley, Blair will be cheap. Regarding next year's cap, as jonnydel pointed out, no one knows exactly what the salary cap level will be as EVERY TEAM is going to be affected, especially many good teams continuing to pay for high-level talent, teams that are in much worse shape salary-wise than the Niners...some kind of compromise/agreement will hopefully take place between the league & players yet we all know the owners want to make as much $ as possible...the pandemic has created an unprecedented situation regarding the cap next year.

-Garoppolo has shown he can stay healthy. 2019 was just last year...he started all 19 games last year and didn't leave a single game due to injury. 20 of 32 teams last year had QBs that didn't start 16 regular season games. We'll see what this year's number looks like at season's end. Yes, Garoppolo has had some injuries...this is football and QBs are especially vulnerable (as we see every season). Hopefully, the team will address the C position/IOL. We all want him to stay healthy as we've seen what he can do in helping lead this team to many, many wins - I'll put next year's healthy starters with Garoppolo against any other team and I'll like the Niners' chances in every game.

If Garoppolo comes back healthy this season, perhaps after another two games, and Mullens can do enough to hopefully help win at least one of these next two games, I think the Niners would have a shot at making the expanded playoffs. And if they can get in, look out! They have many guys from last year who gained valuable playoff experience & success. Once you're in the playoffs, anything can happen (also, getting guys back like Kittle, Aiyuk & K. Williams will help).

Nice post. Unfortunately the bolded was so laughable I almost forgot what the rest of the post was about.

Thanks. Yet to your comment, the rest of that particular paragraph of what you bolded is laughable? It's exactly true and can't be discounted. I'll re-post that part as apparently it's needed:

Garoppolo has shown he can stay healthy. 2019 was just last year...he started all 19 games last year and didn't leave a single game due to injury. 20 of 32 teams last year had QBs that didn't start 16 regular season games. We'll see what this year's number looks like at season's end. Yes, Garoppolo has had some injuries...this is football and QBs are especially vulnerable (as we see every season). Hopefully, the team will address the C position/IOL. We all want him to stay healthy as we've seen what he can do in helping lead this team to many, many wins - I'll put next year's healthy starters with Garoppolo against any other team and I'll like the Niners' chances in every game.

You didnt need to repost it, I was kidding. It was a good post, I read it. I just disagree with the injury part. What I read was a spin job to try to downplay the fact that he has had huge injuries in 2 of the 3 seasons he was our starter, and another injury that knocked him out of the starting role that he should have had for 4 games in New England. Just because other quarterbacks got hurt last year doesnt change anything. Doing something once (starting 19 games) is an aberration, until proven otherwise.

...because other teams are just itching and clawing at the chance to pay him just as much?

If he closes the season with a bang,...then I'll humor this. But as things stand now,...Can anyone spell out his options at this point?
[ Edited by random49er on Nov 30, 2020 at 7:54 PM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Oh I'm the king of acknowledging ALL of it. I've stated a million times unit pass protection is key and there are many variables that make it up. Unit pass protection is just not a high priority. Never was. And that remains today.

Changing a QB isn't going to change that UNLESS they finally approach team building it like they do with the DL...keep adding talent at all levels until the standard is met.

How is "unit pass protection" not a high priority? They spent a f**k ton of money on a FB, top 10 pick on a RT, traded for a top LT, traded for a former 1st rd OG, spent top money on a top 50 pick center...hell they run more 21personnel than anyone (extra blockers if need be).

Good QB play will absolutely help PP...not having our 4th string center and 3rd string RG will help PP. being able to run the ball will help PP.

You think if they stuck Mahomes or Rogers back there they'd get destroyed all game? f**k no. Mahomes doesn't have some all-star OL, especially in the interior.

Mahomes or Rogers
I like how you think!
Lol
Well damn all we gotta do is draft the next elite QB then..
EZ-PZ
Share 49ersWebzone