LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 137 users in the forums

What will it take to NEVER have to Totally Rebuild Again?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Sourball:
Hitting on a replacement franchise QB before your current franchise QB retires
Franchise QB makes your coaching look good so they have job security
Franchise QB makes offensive players around them look good

While a franchise QB is important, there's a reason why teams like the Ravens and Bears have won Super Bowls without QB's and why current teams like the Lions and Colts struggle to contend despite having franchise QB's.
IMO San Francisco is a 2nd tier sports town. When it lights up in interest it can match the cities mentioned above: Pittsburg, Green Bay and Boston.

Those are also 3 cities that would not accept the political stuff recently clouding the franchise

I didn't buy into it at first but I think the move to Santa Clara and losing Candlestick killed some of our identity.

Long time since 1995. Willis and Gore is fortunately a quality layover
[ Edited by Lipstickonface on Oct 24, 2017 at 6:36 PM ]
Naming chaz and sus co-gms
Same thing Packers have: community owned team.
System that exploits other teams in all 3 phases and is flexible enough to change to continue. Like a machine.
Originally posted by Lipstickonface:
IMO San Francisco is a 2nd tier sports town. When it lights up in interest it can match the cities mentioned above: Pittsburg, Green Bay and Boston.

Those are also 3 cities that would not accept the political stuff recently clouding the franchise

I didn't buy into it at first but I think the move to Santa Clara and losing Candlestick killed some of our identity.

Long time since 1995. Willis and Gore is fortunately a quality layover

To be fair Pittsburgh is a fair weather town too. Look at the current pirates and the penguins before Mario bought them
A FQB with another FQB waiting on the bench as the first FQB hits his mid 30's. It will also take innovative coaching but if the talent isn't there the wins won't manifest.

If we want another dynasty we're going to need a couple FQB's. They make the WR's look better and if you have a beast pass rusher it's so much easier to build/maintain a winning team.

This is why I've said Shanalynch's most important decision will be at QB. If they can't find a FQB by 2019 they probably won't be here after 2020. I trust his offensive mind but if we can't get the talent here it will all be a waste.

I think we're going to need a different DC along the way. I haven't made my mind up on Saleh but as of now he's not on the top of my list as far as long term answers.

Nothing has changed since week 1 (besides Bowman). We need a FQB, gaurds, WR, CB, pass rusher, maybe center and LB.

We need least seven new starters. Quality starters. I think QB and o-line will be the most important. If Shanahan can't get this offense going in 2018 he's going to lose a lot of support. We NEED a FQB and better blocking. Top of the list.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
elite qb
elite coach

pretty simple
Gregg Popovich
Originally posted by miked1978:
Getting a good HC/GM and keeping them. Understand you aren't going to win a SuperBowl every year and there will be years you aren't going to make the playoffs.

The HC will need to be able to change with the times. Just because a particular scheme worked the first 5 years you were the coach doesn't mean it will work forever.

The GM will need to work with the HC and get the players they both want.

It isn't talked about often but Eddie D was sorta like his nephew with his ultra high standards and demanding expectations. Difference was, he lucked out on Walsh and Montana and had Carmen Policy act in the middle when he got crazy with Bill Walsh.

From that Eddie D "a football life" it seems he fired/unfired Walsh several times, just saved by Policy not having it ever sticking or going public.

Jed York blowing lines while confessing love to Baalke
right now it looks like offensive and defensive schemes we run are successful elsewhere in the NFL(ATL...SEA)...we are going from one the worst offensive rosters, to asking them to be the 2016 Atlanta Falcons...not gonna happen soon...And like wise on Defense....we are going from one of the worst run defenses ever to asking them to be the Seattle Seahawks def...not gonna happen soon....So you ask whats it gonna take....years and years of drafting and free agent signing of guys who FIT our schemes....committing to coaching staffs and committing to the schemes they run....
Seems that every consistent winning team has a great QB. Dynasty's have a great QB and HC. Great HCs are quirky, are hard to deal with and get the attention of the media. If an Owner + GM can't play 2nd fiddle to them then they lose their dynasty (Jerry Jones, York and Baalke).
It's sad that Harbs help draw the base that built Levi's. Now that Jed is older I'm wondering if he would have chosen differently.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by crabman82:
Naming chaz and sus co-gms

It's all about rebuilding the kind of culture that simply won't permit the team to slide back into the depths of despair and ineptitude. That means bringing in the kinds of players and coaches who can rebuild the cohesiveness essential to reestablishing perennial playoff teams. Lynch & Shanahan inherited quite a mess...and even though they're still not winning games, aside from the Dallas beatdown, they've been in every game and had legitimate chances to win 5 of the other 6 contests. That's progress. I get a lot of fans are impatient and aren't willing to acknowledge the incremental improvement, but patience is a must in this rebuild. Fortunately, the team will have the most cap space to acquire some key FA's. They already have a promising draft posture, given they have 5 picks in the first 3 rds. I think it's probable Lynch acquires another pick or two. Between those two events, they should be able to take the next step toward relevancy. What takes time is meshing the new players into your team structure...when you have so many new players this year and next, it won't be easy to meld them together, but that's what's got to happen. Fans simply need to focus on the big picture rather than living and dying with each game now. That's not easy, but the fan base just has to realize things will get better...it's just not going to happen overnight.
Share 49ersWebzone