There are 289 users in the forums

Week 3 2017: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Marvin, thanks for your efforts. Wish i agreed with everyone who likes protesting in NFL or other sports games, but i don't. It takes all the fun out of it for me. I wish there were a way to keep politics out of sports. Sports are just that. Sports. Those ruining it, while it is their right, makes sports , my one real pleasure, not much fun.

I was late to turn game on and knew we had the ball first. So imagine my surprise to see the rams almost on the goal line, with the ball . Couldn't believe it. That truly ended the outcome of the game right there. Then Hoyer came back and had himself a game, with some superb play at WR. Ended up being an enjoyable game to watch, first time in almost three and one half yrs. Also the take away for me was, if hoyer put up another stinker, KYle would be running out of things to say in his defense. So good on hoyer for coming back. But had he not, then i think kyle would have had to think about CJ next week, esp in a blowout. My preference is to keep CJ with the clipboard until late in the season and THEN see what he has. So i am thankful hoyer finally came thru. Sure sucks tho that he got that picked on first play of the game. The comeback was admirable...and exciting.

No worries. A lot of people feel that way about sports and politics (my sister in particular). I see it a bit differently but we don't have to have that conversation here, now or ever.

My point was more about the way Jed handled and has been handling the situation compared to some other owners. If we blast him for the considerable number of mistakes he's made, kinda feel like we have to give him credit when he does something right. It also seems ludicrous to criticize him over it when he's one of the few who backed Kap. Nuff said.

Peace.
Originally posted by SoCold:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
I was at the game on Thursday night so took me awhile to be able to rewatch...and then a lot of stuff happened (more on that later)....

1) Hoyer: I gotta give the guy some credit here. That is just about the worst way to start a game and he did so after back to back weeks of little to zero success. The fact that he was able to bounce back and with the help of some great plays by WRs have a solid game was impressive. Over 300 yards, 2TDs and another on the ground. Not bad for Hoyer. He still ain't the long term answer but good for him for bouncing back a bit.

2) Garcon: Wow. Had himself a game. Dunno how much more he has in the tank but that was nice to see. If he can play like this for a few more seasons he could be a big part of who they can become.

3) Goodwin: He needed this game. Two great catches.

4) Pass Rush: Errr....uh.....hmmmm. Yeah...this one will likely be an issue all year. They don't have "that guy" yet. They need that guy who can make it all go. Solomon will improve as a pass rusher, but I don't know that he'll ever be a consistent threat on the edge. Buckner will be a good inside rusher...but they need that guy who can scare defenses from the edge and demand the double teams that will open it up for everyone else. They don't have that guy. They will, but he's not on the roster yet. I still like the guys they have on the D-Line, but that unit isn't yet complete.

5) Hyde: Man...it wasn't a huge game statewide but there was more "want to" in his running than I've ever seen from him. The fighting for every inch at the goal-line was impressive.

6) Bowman: Wow. Rough day. Maybe he bounces back. Dunno. I do remember thinking Crabtree was done that first year after the achilles and I see him now in Oakland and I see he's recovered completely. Can Bow make that same recovery and its just going to take time? I dunno, but right now I'm doubtful. Shame to see one of my favorite players having issues moving around out there and not being able to make plays he'd make in his sleep before.

7) Refs: I try really hard not to make it about the refs and at this point I have STILL not seen another angle of the OPI on Taylor....but man I hate it when a great game seems to be ruined on a bad call.

8) Great Game: It sucks that they lost (although draft position isn't lost on me), but that was easily the best game I've ever seen at Levis. I was lucky enough to be at some big games at the stick (Niners Falcons-last game at the stick, Niners Packers-Kaps breakout game, Niners Saints-Vernons last second TD, Niners Jets many years ago-Garrisons 96 yard run), but this was easily the best game since the move. I hope for many more.

9) Carradine: Sucks to see him get hurt when he was just starting to play so well. I like that we'll probably see Solomon get more opportunity to gain experience, but Tank was doing well playing a position that fit him far better. Hope he's not out too long.

10) Jed York: OK. So. Outside of the Webzone I'm a fairly political person. I spent a lot of time away from this board recently because I was on political forums. Having said that, I don't want to make this a political statement or have a political discussion here.

What I do want to say though is this:

I liked what said did this weekend and what he's done since the beginning in regards to Kap, Reid and Eli. Say what you want about the way he handled Harbaugh, Tomsula, or Kelly, he's been on this one since the beginning and he's done and said the right thing at every turn.

Again, I'm not bringing this up to have a political debate. I'm bringing this up to express frustration over some who don't understand the game of football and use this situation to make a point about the way the league deals with race. I'm a Democrat. I'm a liberal. I say that only to make the point that this isn't comping from a conservative. Some of the stuff I read on Jeds twitter mentions drives me nuts.

Jed calls out the president on his speech friday night and what is the very first twitter response? "Prove it. Sign Kap". Wow. Jed backed Kap at every turn and currently employs both of the guys who knelt next to him. I read before the game that there would be groups protesting the game because of Kap. Drives me nuts. If there is ANY QB needy team that deserves a pass on this situation its the 49ers. Kap isn't gone because of his political stance. He is gone because it was time to start over. Its that simple. Calling out Jed over the Kap situation completely ignores that he's one of the very few owners in the NFL who are not die hard conservatives. Thats not an attack on those who are BTW, but it would be nice if those protesting knew who they were protesting.

Anyway, kudos to Jed for not putting a wishy-washy statement out there and being one of the few owners who actually called out the president directly.

Most of Hoyer's choices and throws were bad. If not for a half dozen amazing catches they wouldn't have been in the game. His INT was still a killer. Esp when you lose by 1 score.

Points 2 and 3, agree. Made Hoyer look good.

They have guys playing out of position imo. AA doesn't look like he's giving 100%.

Hyde and Bowman are good when healthy.

3 fumbles, lost 2 plus the dreaded pick on the first play. Yeah a team with this talent isn't going to win many of those. Rams tried to fumble a 2 score lead away late. Don't blame the Refs for one horrible call when the players screw up 20.

Then I stopped reading.

Wasn't blaming refs. In fact I think I went out of my way to NOT blame the refs, I'm just saying I hate it when yellow laundry essentially decides the end of what would have been a great game win or lose. I'd rather he'd dropped the ball or something.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by Sourball:
Originally posted by SoCold:
Most of Hoyer's choices and throws were bad. If not for a half dozen amazing catches they wouldn't have been in the game. His INT was still a killer. Esp when you lose by 1 score.

Points 2 and 3, agree. Made Hoyer look good.

They have guys playing out of position imo. AA doesn't look like he's giving 100%.

Hyde and Bowman are good when healthy.

3 fumbles, lost 2 plus the dreaded pick on the first play. Yeah a team with this talent isn't going to win many of those. Rams tried to fumble a 2 score lead away late. Don't blame the Refs for one horrible call when the players screw up 20.

Then I stopped reading.
I have heard comments that AA is overcompensating for his coaches telling him to play low which essentially puts him in the position of trying too hard to be low at his size. I don't know about this theory but he does seem to be lumbering along at times.
Opinions?

Could be technique? He just looks kind of awkward while running.

Jimmy Graham is 6-7 like 240. Arik is 6-7 290. Arik should be able to fire off the ball and get under his pads and drive him back three yards. Instead he stands straight up and gets stood up by Jimmy at the los. It's just one example but it shouldn't happen. I just have to question his drive, determination and motor.

This was from nfl combine write up.
Weaknesses Power-based pass rush with very little production to show for it over his time at Oregon. Plays tall as pass rusher and doesn't use his hands to gain consistent advantages. Has no reliable counter moves when rush stalls. Gets caught up in whipping man in front of him rather than making the ball carrier his focus. Will win against an offensive lineman, but doesn't put himself into position to finish.

Sources Tell Us "I see the power in his hands and all of his tools, but I don't see the production or the consistent push that I feel like I should see from him. He could end up being a monster, but you have to understand that what you get right now is just a big athlete with some upside." -- Pac-12 area scout
Hoyer finally played how I expected this year. I can handle hon playing similar to the rest if the year which gives us a chance. I don't expect maricles from Hoyer but a little more consistency would be nice. The WR made some great catches, but that's what they are paid to do. Saying if not for a half dozen great catches then we wouldn't have been close just doesnt make sense. Had Brady's deep ball not been such a spectacular catch they would not have won either and that would have been looked at as a s**t throw, so bottom line is if the ball is out where the WR can grab it, they need to catch it! Hyde looking strong and consistent. Pass rush will be hit or miss depending on match ups and blitzes. Overall I'm happy with the game and am excited to see the potential of Shanahan system here for years to come.

Stop reading now if you don't want political response to Marc.

I'm conservative, not conservative like I don't believe government shouldn't exist or that I have a fall out shelter, but in the view of government having a limited roll in our lives and not violating our constitution. I'm a Sheriff's Deputy and take our citizens rights seriously because I KNOW how easily they can be abused. These players have a right to kneel, burn, spit, s**t, and step on this great countries flag. However this country or any country can always get better, but there is none better then this. Those idiots standing for God save the queen must not realize what role that country played in slavery and should educate themselves. There cause truly has nothing to do with the flag, as they sit there making millions because of opportunities afforded to them by this great country. American sports make more African American millionaires then any other entity in the WORLD! These players want to make a difference, then they should go to these neighborhoods and communities and become champions of them. Invest their money in them by opening businesses, or contributing to the schools! Kneeling on the sideline doesn't show unity as a country is shows exactly the opposite, it proves were divided! I now have citizens in communities I police tell me that I don't live in their neighborhoods and so I shouldn't be there. I tell them, come apply and help protect and serve your own streets, you could really do a good thing, show the young ones a good way of life. They say nah I would never be a pig, then I say well I guess I will have to stay in your neighborhood then since you won't take my place.

To note our president was not my first choice as a conservative person. I agree with him on some policy issues and completely disagree on others. I don't always agree with his messaging/tweeting and I can see arguments for both sides like a mature adult. But he is our president and respect should be shown just like I showed alot of respect to Obama upon meeting him during dignitary protection. I did not agree with a majority of his policies or statements, but that does not negate his status as POTUS.

Okay I will be done with politics as I only responded because of Marv. I won't argue with any of my fellow brothers and sisters here either so don't waste your time. 🇺🇸
Unfortunately the coaches film for the game doesn't show Taylor's break but I see no friggin pushoff on the other angle. What an awful call...

However I will say I'd rather lose with a bad call by the refs where it looked like we would've won in a year where we're rebuilding than lose in a blowout or just lose because we couldn't make the plays.

Much easier to swallow loses with stuff like that going on...but if we were a playoff contender I'd still be throwing things.
Originally posted by wolfpack2192:
Hoyer finally played how I expected this year. I can handle hon playing similar to the rest if the year which gives us a chance. I don't expect maricles from Hoyer but a little more consistency would be nice. The WR made some great catches, but that's what they are paid to do. Saying if not for a half dozen great catches then we wouldn't have been close just doesnt make sense. Had Brady's deep ball not been such a spectacular catch they would not have won either and that would have been looked at as a s**t throw, so bottom line is if the ball is out where the WR can grab it, they need to catch it! Hyde looking strong and consistent. Pass rush will be hit or miss depending on match ups and blitzes. Overall I'm happy with the game and am excited to see the potential of Shanahan system here for years to come.

I'm conservative, not conservative like I don't believe government shouldn't exist or that I have a fall out shelter, but in the view of government having a limited roll in our lives and not violating our constitution. I'm a Sheriff's Deputy and take our citizens rights seriously because I KNOW how easily they can be abused. These players have a right to kneel, burn, spit, s**t, and step on this great countries flag. However this country or any country can always get better, but there is none better then this. Those idiots standing for God save the queen must not realize what role that country played in slavery and should educate themselves. There cause truly has nothing to do with the flag, as they sit there making millions because of opportunities afforded to them by this great country. American sports make more African American millionaires then any other entity in the WORLD! These players want to make a difference, then they should go to these neighborhoods and communities and become champions of them. Invest their money in them by opening businesses, or contributing to the schools! Kneeling on the sideline doesn't show unity as a country is shows exactly the opposite, it proves were divided! I now have citizens in communities I police tell me that I don't live in their neighborhoods and so I shouldn't be there. I tell them, come apply and help protect and serve your own streets, you could really do a good thing, show the young ones a good way of life. They say nah I would never be a pig, then I say well I guess I will have to stay in your neighborhood then since you won't take my place.

To note our president was not my first choice as a conservative person. I agree with him on some policy issues and completely disagree on others. I don't always agree with his messaging/tweeting and I can see arguments for both sides like a mature adult. But he is our president and respect should be shown just like I showed alot of respect to Obama upon meeting him during dignitary protection. I did not agree with a majority of his policies or statements, but that does not negate his status as POTUS.

Okay I will be done with politics as I only responded because of Marv. I won't argue with any of my fellow brothers and sisters here either so don't waste your time. 🇺🇸

Peace.
Peace.

Thank you Marv. And since I have your attention for this brief moment I look forward to your post very much after each game. I have learned quite alot about this game from you. Please keep it up.

Absolutely the best post I have read on this site in quite some time. Players standing for God Save The King just shows how uneducated they are. Yes let's stand for the country that brought slavery to the new world
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by defenderDX:
The team showed fight and competitiveness. Something we haven't seen since Harbaugh. yeah, we're 0-3, but this is not the same garbage team/regime we saw in 2015/2016. We're going all-in with this regime.

Last year we showed fight vs the rams twice, close games vs the cowboys, cards, dolphins, jets and seahawks. People just forget.

that's because Kap was our qb
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
All I can say if Brandin Cooks had a blatant push off in front of a ref on pats final drive.

No flag.

Hard to believe no one mentioned the play calling. Between both Shanahan and mcvay, there was a plethora of good offensive scheming. A great game to watch in that regard. I'm gonna enjoy every game between these two HC's.
Originally posted by Big_Daddy:
Hard to believe no one mentioned the play calling. Between both Shanahan and mcvay, there was a plethora of good offensive scheming. A great game to watch in that regard. I'm gonna enjoy every game between these two HC's.

Very true. There were several plays during the game that were pure play calling. The first one I remember was Breida breaking open for a first down throw but the one that really got me were the back to back plays by the rams at the goal line. Same formation, one run and one pass.
Very true. There were several plays during the game that were pure play calling. The first one I remember was Breida breaking open for a first down throw but the one that really got me were the back to back plays by the rams at the goal line. Same formation, one run and one pass.

I love the play calling of game 3. I wish we ram a little more though. I think if we can really set that tone, it could really disrupt teams ability to cover the pass.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Jed ponied up, what, $1M to support Kaps cause from day 1 and during a time there was much backlash.

The ignorance to blame Jed for Kap being out of the NFL or "bring back Kap" are just that...ignorance.

Great write up and hey, what more can we ask for...loss by 3, loss by 2, down to the wire games but still hold serve for a top pick in the draft.

Isn't that what we all asked for originally?

Great point NC!
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

I agree with most (if not all of your post) I have a lot of friends in the police force and they are very under appreciated government employees. I think these *kids* really are just ignorant of policy and history - simply because 100% of their energy is focused on football. Same with the Hollywood stars, trying to make it as an actor/actress in Hollywood is just as competitive and brutal as the NFL in my opinion. These folks just don't have the time to really study the issue. But it's good that *both* sides are talking about it now and really asking some hard question from the other side.
Share 49ersWebzone