LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 188 users in the forums

Coaches Film Analysis: 2017 Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by walker807:
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by zonkers:
IIRC Taylor didn't get a reception until later in the game. Not sure if that's partly due to Hoyer being unfamiliar with Taylor in live action. I figured Taylor would've gotten more targets.

On the 4th down screen to Hyde (with Buckner blocking) - was that a bad lead by Hoyer or misread by Hyde? Kuechly did seem to sniff it out and had a good angle.
Hoyer could have made it easier to catch, but I don't think it mattered. Kuechly did sniff it out. If Hyde tries to take it wide, Kuechly is all over it. Kuechly is full speed while Hyde is starting from a stand still after making the catch and would be moving lateral towards sidelines, not downhill into endzone.

Hoyer mid windup, Kuechly breaking on the throw.

Hyde catching at a stand still while Kuechly is full speed.

Even if Kittle makes the block on Kuechly, I'm still not so sure it's six. Garcon ends up blocking the lane a bit to the end zone when he seals his block. If Hyde hesitates and tries to break back inside or outside there are two Carolina players closing.

Carolina played this one very well. The CB gets inside leverage on Garcon and Kuechly runs across Hyde to cutoff the outside. Only option I see at all would have been Hyde coming back towards Hoyer and trying to take the ball all the way back to the other side.

Right. Because of where Garcon has to seal his block it creates an awkward lane for Hyde where regardless of what Kittle does with Kuechly Hyde has to kind of bounce around Garcon. There may have been a momentary opening. It's tough to say now.
Hopers decisions making is terrible, should have thrown the ball to 81 by the goal line .
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
that play was doomed. the panthers knew exactly what was coming.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
He should have stayed to the outside.
Originally posted by cNiner:
Hopers decisions making is terrible, should have thrown the ball to 81 by the goal line .

There's no question in my mind Kuechly's earlier pick was the reason he didn't. Luke got in his head. He saw him flash in the area and didn't trust himself to get it there to beat Kuechly after the earlier pick.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
kittle should've blocked luke.

dude was playing the hokie pokie
Originally posted by jonnydel:

Offense: I loved the design on a few plays. There was one play where I have no idea how Shanny knew what he did about the defense - it was uncanny. He had a variation of a 'stick' concept dialed up and the defense was showing cover 3 zone - which the 'stick' beats, but right before the snap they shifted into a cover 2 zone - which beats a 'stick' concept but shanny had a stick'nod called up for the TE. The play would've gone for a good gain had we had better protection - but it was a Keanu matrix, "whoa" moment, lol. Overall, I thought we were better than the score was and more competitive. It felt like watching a real grown up football game, lol. We didn't get yards by trickery or misdirection only, but by good, sound plays and good variation. We used pre-snap movement to reveal coverages and create mismatches, not "the things that make things tough for the defense" i.e. 800 plays a game.

There was one play where I have no idea how Shanny knew what he did about the defense - it was uncanny. the defense was showing cover 3 zone - which the 'stick' beats

He had a variation of a 'stick' concept dialed up

right before the snap they shifted into a cover 2 zone - which beats a 'stick'.

but shanny had a stick'nod called up for the TE.

The play would've gone for a good gain had we had better protection

My man's got my back while I'm out of town. I love it!
Originally posted by cortana49:
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
I'd like to have some analysis on wtf Kyle was thinking on that long developing dive to Juice coming across the formation on 4th and short. Quite possibly one of the worst playcalls I've ever seen.

That WAS a head-scratcher!
slow mo
Kawaan Short. Too slick for Fusco, too quick for Brown.

Ahhh! Details. Thanks.
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by cNiner:

There's no question in my mind Kuechly's earlier pick was the reason he didn't. Luke got in his head. He saw him flash in the area and didn't trust himself to get it there to beat Kuechly after the earlier pick.
One thing KS loves to do, and the Panthers know this, is to run PA then hit a mid-in or slant route after that. The idea is, you pull the LB's up with the fake and then throw the ball right where they should've been - that's what happened on the Keuchly pick. There were 2 other plays where Keuchly blew up because he didn't bite on the fake at all and immediately dropped into the lane. That's just a good player being a good player. I can't really fault Shanny for that. It works against nearly all the other teams. This one just has a guy that's really good and has seen Shanny's style 4 times already IIRC.
I'd like to have some analysis on wtf Kyle was thinking on that long developing dive to Juice coming across the formation on 4th and short. Quite possibly one of the worst playcalls I've ever seen.

slow mo

Ahhh! Details. Thanks.
Yes, very thankful you covered this one too. What I meant by Fusco fail. How you manage to only block air against a guy 300+ lbs....idk. I mean.... he doesn't even hardly tough the guy, lol.

Basically a lot of these plays where well designed and WR were open, but the o line (guards) suck ass so Hoyer was already running for his life? proof o-line is everything lol
Originally posted by TheNef77:

slow mo

Brown is at fault here taking a bad up field angle instead of securing the 1st level. Sure, no one is there on the pre snap but inside zone is always a flat horizontal step 1st to prevent this.

Yeah you can see him take a step up field and then say, oh s**t, and tried to recover but that split second was all Short needed. Fusco and Brown end up playing patty-cake while the run is stuffed in the backfield.

And on the second gif, it looks like Fusco was supposed to turn Short out but for whatever reason, almost falls on his face.
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 14, 2017 at 7:25 AM ]
First year in a new system. We'll look sloppy. The best thing this team needs is continuity. Carolina was a team of familiar players playing in a familiar system. They would have got beaten handily by a better team. Our beatdown should have been worse.
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:
First year in a new system. We'll look sloppy. The best thing this team needs is continuity. Carolina was a team of familiar players playing in a familiar system. They would have got beaten handily by a better team. Our beatdown should have been worse.

...playing against a familiar offensive scheme.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Tarrt isn't not a single high safety...that one handed INT was amazing but this stuff is ridiculous

you just said tartt is a single high safety.
Share 49ersWebzone