There are 105 users in the forums

Injuries - 9-Year Analysis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by NCommand:

Sorry but this can't be coincidence. It's like winning the lottery 5 times in a row. After the 3rd time people would ask if you have a system. After the 4th time they'd probably stop you from playing until they had concluded years and years of "investigations." There has to be something we're doing or not doing that keeps us as the either high or the lead for 7 seasons. Seven.

It's kind of ironic that the injuries are so high when the ownership of the team has a ton of medical knowledge and experience.

I've said before, when we had nothing, in building a team from scratch, moneyball had a place. But by 2019, we were pretty well set, but had continued the practice, and once you have the talent there is just no room for adding injured players anymore. So we ended up with contracts that are still running for Dee, Richburg, at two slots where we really needed that talent.

In retrospectoscope, those were unfortunate signings, and injury hx wasn't accounted for...or rather was a gamble. Now, as AGL leader but with a talented team, we cannot afford any more injury hx signings, either FA , draft, trade, or UDFA. And of our new guys, both Mack and Ebukam both are stalwarts.

Worst part of injured guys at critical positions is that not only are we stuck with the cap hit, we didn't have players at C and EDGE. Bad place to be paying top dollar and not have a player there. I think....hope...pray...that signing of nicked guys is over.

NC brot the moneyball issue up and deserves full credit for it. He was spot on.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Mar 23, 2021 at 10:01 AM ]
I hope the Niners run of injuries starts to turn around. They've had more than their share of bad luck. I understand the risk of drafting or signing players with an injury history, but every team does it because so many players suffer injuries during their career. Whether it's high school, college or the NFL players get hurt every game. There would be a lot of really good NFL players unemployed if teams weren't willing to take a chance on them.
Originally posted by stefano89:

Sorry but this can't be coincidence. It's like winning the lottery 5 times in a row. After the 3rd time people would ask if you have a system. After the 4th time they'd probably stop you from playing until they had concluded years and years of "investigations." There has to be something we're doing or not doing that keeps us as the either high or the lead for 7 seasons. Seven.

moneyball cheap out on injured prospects strategy and a conditioning staff thats unable to keep the players bodies in football condition. the perfect storm.

This is a terrible assessment, we have gone through multiple coaches, scouts, GM's, training staff etc. all in that time. We have been at the top of the cap, at the bottom, and in the middle, we have made runs to the superbowl and been within a razors edge of the first over all pick. The idea that it is something the team is actively doing that could cause this over a 7 year span...and if you think back it actually has been longer, that we have had injury issues, is faulty as hell.
#MoneyBall targets these players from Baalke ACL's to the current regime; keeps costs down, GTD $ low, no rush on a stacked roster, speed emphasis over strength, player profiles, keep believing in these players d/t faith, trying to get some kind of return, system and schemes ask (we eat through OL), etc.

That said, ShanaLynch did bring in two FA's who have had very durable careers.

...just a theory.

Is it Baalke or is it Paraag?

There's only been one constant AND Baalke just went apes**t in Jacksonville in free agency.

Soooo...think its pretty clear now.

You weren't kidding. Jacksonville just used up a *ton* of cap space in just a few days. Agree, I think Paraag and money ball is a big part of it (looking back now).

Hopefully its been addressed this offseason, as you said -- to take injuries into account in the money ball metrics.

Baalke is a whole new man out from under that Moneyball machine department here. Haha. Dude is trying to change his image big time.
Injury prone players off the top of my head as of today 3/23/2021.

Offense: Jimmy G, Deebo Samuel, Jeff Wilson, Jalen Hurd, Shon Coleman

Defense: Jimmy Ward, Jason Verrett, Kentavius Street, Nick Bosa

Special Teams: Robbie Gould

To make matters worse most of the above are projected starters. Bottom line a healthy team is a winning team.
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:

moneyball cheap out on injured prospects strategy and a conditioning staff thats unable to keep the players bodies in football condition. the perfect storm.

This is a terrible assessment, we have gone through multiple coaches, scouts, GM's, training staff etc. all in that time. We have been at the top of the cap, at the bottom, and in the middle, we have made runs to the superbowl and been within a razors edge of the first over all pick. The idea that it is something the team is actively doing that could cause this over a 7 year span...and if you think back it actually has been longer, that we have had injury issues, is faulty as hell.

the writings been on the wall the latest stats just prove it
Updated the OP for 2020 results/rankings.
dont let this offseasons active news an FA signings distract us from our real opponent.....the injury curse. no major changes to the medical or conditiining staff have been announced that i know of. i pray that they have made changes internally an/or the press just hasnt reported on it. cause if we roll into 2021 with the same conditioning staff as 2020.....you know what will happen. justin fields, nick bosa, JG10, aiyuk, doesnt matter who, no player can defeat what wev been going through with injuries. wont matter who we draft who we sign or anything, if we lose a starter every game again the years a waste. again. i pray the team has finally realized that.

rant over.
dont let this offseasons active news an FA signings distract us from our real opponent.....the injury curse. no major changes to the medical or conditiining staff have been announced that i know of. i pray that they have made changes internally an/or the press just hasnt reported on it. cause if we roll into 2021 with the same conditioning staff as 2020.....you know what will happen. justin fields, nick bosa, JG10, aiyuk, doesnt matter who, no player can defeat what wev been going through with injuries. wont matter who we draft who we sign or anything, if we lose a starter every game again the years a waste. again. i pray the team has finally realized that.

rant over.

The team made some big changes to it's strength and conditioning plus health and performance staff during the 2019 off-season (https://www.ninersnation.com/2019/2/27/18243281/49ers-announce-coaching-staff-hiring-wes-welker-shane-day-medical-training).

I agree though. Those moves sounded great in theory. It's their third off-season with this set up. Even though I knew with basically no real on field conditioning last off-season there would be a ton of soft tissue injuries, it's time for the team to get a return on investment to the changes they made in 2019.

We absolutely cannot have another injury filled season to the magnitude we did last season.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Apr 9, 2021 at 12:03 AM ]

rant over.

They are just gonna write off last year because of Covid and lack of reps/preseason.

• Giedi
  • Veteran
I'm thinking maybe ShanaLynch might be developing more into to a power-gap kind of team when playing on astro-turf maybe to reduce injuries on astro-turf? The new OLine picks and power back might be an indication of that.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
quick and dirty analysis. 2021 the 49ers play the following teams on astro-crete-turf.

Rams, Seahawks, Lions, and Bengals - total 4

The rest are on natural grass (a la 2019)
quick and dirty analysis. 2021 the 49ers play the following teams on astro-crete-turf.

Rams, Seahawks, Lions, and Bengals - total 4

The rest are on natural grass (a la 2019)

Don't forget the super bowl
Share 49ersWebzone