LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 463 users in the forums

Who would you want as your 49ers qb for 2018?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who would you want as your 49ers qb for 2018?

Originally posted by Alfienator:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
I want Beathard. If the young man can show he can handle the job, then it would means we have a diamond in the rough, Shanny knows how to pick QBs, and we can home grown our own without paying a boat load for transplants.

Oh look 👀 the Cousin or bust crowd has gathered as
I typed.

I'm all for this if Kyle can turn beathard to a cousins 2.0

Interesting question to revisit middle of the season and the end of this season.

The dark horse is Hoyer. He may play good to decent enough to warrant a competition in 2018. And Washington lost some offensive weapons that may cause Cousin's numbers to drop. The Cousin or bust wagon might be a little lighter
Originally posted by Alfienator:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
I want Beathard. If the young man can show he can handle the job, then it would means we have a diamond in the rough, Shanny knows how to pick QBs, and we can home grown our own without paying a boat load for transplants.

Oh look 👀 the Cousin or bust crowd has gathered as
I typed.

I'm all for this if Kyle can turn beathard to a cousins 2.0

I know fans struggle perceiving this one... naturally...but I wouldn't write this kid off. He's still going to need 2+ years but he does seem like a nice mold for Kyle and I know he's going to be properly developed and Kyle's not going to put him in until he's comfortable and ready, which is very rare in this day and age.
Ask me this again after this season. Our FO doesn't have to make a decision until then and the decision is likely going to depend on how Cousins plays, how our QB's play (especially Hoyer and Beathard) and what QB's declare for the draft.

Right now at this point in time, I'd pay about $25M/year for Cousins and draft a key prospect at another position. But that could easily change after this season.
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
Ask me this again after this season. Our FO doesn't have to make a decision until then and the decision is likely going to depend on how Cousins plays, how our QB's play (especially Hoyer and Beathard) and what QB's declare for the draft.

Right now at this point in time, I'd pay about $25M/year for Cousins and draft a key prospect at another position. But that could easily change after this season.

Yeah, this is the sensible approach.
Don't know. Really! As it is a young team Beathard would be the best fit but it's early days to bet the franchise on a midrange pick. I am not convinced about Cousins or Hoyer.

Damn!
Perfect world? Beathard just absolutely dazzles is and shows he us going to ve the guy. Real life? Cousins. We should have a pretty good team going into 2018, abd he has experience in the system. No way do I want to start a rookie in 2018.
I would rather see a FQB drafted. Cousins is an above average QB but not top tier and I think he will get top tier money. I know Shanahan thinks Beathard is the best QB in the past draft but I am not convinced.
[ Edited by TheWooLick on Jul 17, 2017 at 11:21 AM ]
best case scenario: Hoyer has a career year and everyone jumps on his bandwagon; Beathard develops to the point that he's ready to step in and carry the load; and Cousins has a so-so year and becomes an unrestricted FA whom the Niners sign for a reasonable price--which he takes cuz he wants to play for Shanahan.

So next season we'd have THREE options to choose from, irrespective of the draft. May the best man win.

one can always hope.
  • TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
I would rather see a FQB drafted. Cousins is an above average QB but not top tier and I think he will get top tier money. I know Shanahan thinks Beathard is the best QB in the past draft but I am not convinced.

Same. Cousins with the cap space that he'll demand will be too much for for the help that he needs to win rings.
I agree that the question is better answered at least half way through the season or later but I took the question to be who you'd pick now based on what we know as this point. I'd choose Cousins. I think if he stays healthy that Hoyer could have a good year, but I'd still take Cousins because he is tougher and probably will be better than even a good Hoyer. I think even with Cousins on board and even if Hoyer and Beathard look good that Shanahan will keep his eyes open for another guy to try to develop. I think that's just in his nature.

Originally posted by oldninerdude:
best case scenario: Hoyer has a career year and everyone jumps on his bandwagon; Beathard develops to the point that he's ready to step in and carry the load; and Cousins has a so-so year and becomes an unrestricted FA whom the Niners sign for a reasonable price--which he takes cuz he wants to play for Shanahan.

So next season we'd have THREE options to choose from, irrespective of the draft. May the best man win.

one can always hope.

Well this would be a great problem to have!
Originally posted by NCommand:

one can always hope.

yes, one can always hope.
Originally posted by TheNef77:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:

Same. Cousins with the cap space that he'll demand will be too much for for the help that he needs to win rings.

With the way SF's cap space is looking next yr they could have at the very least $80 million in space....let's take off $25 million for Kirk and you still have $55 million lol. We have no huge priority in-house signings to worry about either.

Get Kirk and trade that possible top pick for more cheap rookie contracts.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jul 17, 2017 at 12:32 PM ]
IF Kirk is there and played like he did this past season hell yeah!

Take that possible high end pick, trade it and get a ton of draft capital similar to what the titans did. We can build the OL/pass rush or whatever with those picks and we'd still have a crap ton of cap space to work with.

I like the possible FQB in the upcoming draft, but even a smart vet like Ryan took a year to get Kyle's system...I'd rather be a playoff team sooner than later.
Originally posted by NCommand:

one can always hope.

Sure would be a welcome change after years of injuries, retirements and drama
Share 49ersWebzone