Dieter Kurtenbach, FOX Sports: A-

awp8912:

This

That
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
Originally posted by LVJay:

Before the draft, with all the guys we signed / released, I looked at us as a 6 win team (no less). After this awesome draft, it seems that 7-9 could be the worst we can do.

I'm not even going to doubt from "worst to first" ... unlikely, but I still won't put it past Lynch / Shanny.

Yeah, I know, "Hoyer is our QB" but on the other hand, Shanny is a QB / offensive guru.

#DrinkUpTheKoolAid

We will win no less than 0 regular season games and lose no more than 16 because that's how we roll.

Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
The roster turnover that Lynch and the FO has orchestrated is going to be amazing by the time TC ends. It would not surprise me to see 50+% new players to the team. We saw a lot of FA signings to fill specific roles that fit into the new scheme/new regime, particularly on offense. Those moves set up the defensive picks at the top of the draft. The FO did their homework and took advantage of a very good crop of defensive players coming out of college. Much of the success of this draft is due to the success of filling roles in FO.

We could very well see most, if not all of these draft picks making the 53. That is due to both the quality of the picks but also the lack of quality on the squad from last season. Even a couple of the UDFAs could make the 53.

In today's NFL, where the goal is to have 75% of the teams still in the playoff hunt in the 15th week, it makes it much easier to turn a team from a bottom-feeder to a team that competes well into the second half of the year. All the offensive pieces fit what Kyle wants to do and the fixes that came at the top of the draft are going to make the defense much better than last season. 9-7 would not surprise me at all. Lynch and friends have done a great job injection not only quality but hope into what has been a massive train wreck for four years.

IMO, the product on the field will be much better than the last few years, but it's not likely to translate into any more than 4-6 wins tops (which is a huge improvement, btw). I definitely don't see a scenario where the 2017 roster becomes a 9-7 team...that's not going to happen until we solve the QB problem.

I am not expecting 9 wins. I would be pleased with 7.

I just have more confidence in the combination of Hoyer and Shanahan to make this offense work.

And there we go. Vegas puts us at 4.5 Ws in 2017. Wow are they ever in for a jolt . And my 9 W guess....that is what i think kyle and john are shooting for. Seeing that Vegas 4.5, tho is not reassuring. If we had some major reversals, eg, Reuben Foster's shoulder, then, yes, I could see that. This yr afer 17 yrs of ACLs, shoulders, high ankles and hammy's, it will be of interest to see how our team physicians and trainers respond.

Wow, Vegas at 4.5 Ws. That seems like a really good bet. I wonder a) if they factored in kyle shanahan and his playcalling, and b ) if they know we are on course to have an entirely new HALF of a team this yr, and that every one of those guys is a huge improvement over what we had over the last few yrs? 4.5 Ws. That is a combo of the team under tomsul and chip. I have to believe they are way off the mark, in that both those teams were peppered with horrible talent...OL, DL, WRs, QB, LBs, DBs, and horrid coaches, neither of which had a game plan and both of which were duds on playcalling. I hate going against Vegas because the are consistently so right seemingly all the time. I just think they are missing it here.

I think they are ignoring the total turnover (for the better) of the F.O, the difference in the HC (perhaps looking at kyle as the brand new HC that he is....altho as we have seen he is way more mature and experienced than his yrs), and somehow have not factored in his part in the increased Ws he will play. Vegas has rated us at fewer Ws than we had under tomsul, and with a gutting of half a team full of non contributing players...and restocked with much better talent...they are setting themselves up for a huge comeuppance. Maybe this is a sucker's bet, but right now it looks like a gimme. 4 1/2 Ws...that is nothing more than a joke.
To be fair, with 2 picks in the first round and the No 2 pick overall, you would hope you get an A grading.
Originally posted by GoldenGateGlory:
To be fair, with 2 picks in the first round and the No 2 pick overall, you would hope you get an A grading.

True, but what really seals it is Foster at 31. Thats highway robbery. Plus the maneuvering to get the Bears to trade up, grab 3 additional picks, one of which was used to trade up for Foster. Solomon Thomas is a stud, and Ahkello Witherspoon will likely start. 3 starters with our first 3 picks is a job well done.
Lets wait till 2020. Then we will really know. Until then we are all speculating.
Originally posted by GoldenGateGlory:
Lets wait till 2020. Then we will really know. Until then we are all speculating.

Of course. Who knows where this draft class will be in 3-4 years.

Just based on what we know today, they couldn't have worked the draft board any better.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Of course. Who knows where this draft class will be in 3-4 years.

Just based on what we know today, they couldn't have worked the draft board any better.

If we find out it was a huge success I'm gonna get it blown up and put on a poster to hang up.
Originally posted by GhostOfBaalke:
If we find out it was a huge success I'm gonna get it blown up and put on a poster to hang up.

Cool idea! Hope it turns out that way.
The roster turnover that Lynch and the FO has orchestrated is going to be amazing by the time TC ends. It would not surprise me to see 50+% new players to the team. We saw a lot of FA signings to fill specific roles that fit into the new scheme/new regime, particularly on offense. Those moves set up the defensive picks at the top of the draft. The FO did their homework and took advantage of a very good crop of defensive players coming out of college. Much of the success of this draft is due to the success of filling roles in FO.

We could very well see most, if not all of these draft picks making the 53. That is due to both the quality of the picks but also the lack of quality on the squad from last season. Even a couple of the UDFAs could make the 53.

In today's NFL, where the goal is to have 75% of the teams still in the playoff hunt in the 15th week, it makes it much easier to turn a team from a bottom-feeder to a team that competes well into the second half of the year. All the offensive pieces fit what Kyle wants to do and the fixes that came at the top of the draft are going to make the defense much better than last season. 9-7 would not surprise me at all. Lynch and friends have done a great job injection not only quality but hope into what has been a massive train wreck for four years.

IMO, the product on the field will be much better than the last few years, but it's not likely to translate into any more than 4-6 wins tops (which is a huge improvement, btw). I definitely don't see a scenario where the 2017 roster becomes a 9-7 team...that's not going to happen until we solve the QB problem.

I just have more confidence in the combination of Hoyer and Shanahan to make this offense work.

I guess I'm looking at it differently. I would be perfectly happy with a 4-6 win 2017 season for the obvious reason that it sets us up nicely for another huge draft haul, which is what this organization needs more than anything to compete for the relative long haul. With their twin 6 year deals, I think Shanny/Lynch are in the unique position to play the "long game" and I hope they do.

2017 (4-6 wins) - Tons of playing time for rookies and assess which of Baalke's holdovers are worth a second contract
2018 (7-8 wins) - Veteran or top 5 rookie QB, much stronger supporting cast, draft key offensive weapons and plug remaining defensive holes
2019+ (Playoff/SB runs) - Shoring up any remaining holes, annual push for home field advantage throughout the playoffs

Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by GhostOfBaalke:

Cool idea! Hope it turns out that way.

better idea: electric billboard up in seattle
If my name is Carlos Hyde, I'm worried. I hope he can stay healthy for a full season!

I guess I'm looking at it differently. I would be perfectly happy with a 4-6 win 2017 season for the obvious reason that it sets us up nicely for another huge draft haul, which is what this organization needs more than anything to compete for the relative long haul. With their twin 6 year deals, I think Shanny/Lynch are in the unique position to play the "long game" and I hope they do.

2017 (4-6 wins) - Tons of playing time for rookies and assess which of Baalke's holdovers are worth a second contract
2018 (7-8 wins) - Veteran or top 5 rookie QB, much stronger supporting cast, draft key offensive weapons and plug remaining defensive holes
2019+ (Playoff/SB runs) - Shoring up any remaining holes, annual push for home field advantage throughout the playoffs

Eff draft positioning my dude.. we got ammo with an extra second and third round picks. Bears pick will be top 10-12, Saints probably a mid second to 20-24.
[ Edited by SmokeCrabtrees on May 4, 2017 at 1:06 AM ]
Originally posted by billbird2111:
If my name is Carlos Hyde, I'm worried. I hope he can stay healthy for a full season!

A certain WZer is gonna have to change his username again lol.
I don't care if we go 2-14 again. If our team doesn't pass the eye test(ie not look like bumbling idiots out there) then to me it means we are improving. Either way we are in for a special ride my brothers.
Share 49ersWebzone