There are 185 users in the forums

Thanks Lynch, 2017 Draft A Success.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Bobdawg78:
I don't know why so many people are down on CJ? Sure we traded up for him, but he was basically our 4th round pick. We traded a 7th and that pick for the extremely late 3rd round pick that we used on CJ. Backup QB's these days cost an arm and a leg, if CJ (only) becomes a back up QB, his 4 year rookie deal will be saving us quite a bit of money by not needing to sign a spendy Vet to be the back up.

Then there's the upside, that in a year or two CJ might show that he's got starter material, and challenges for that spot or takes it over. Late 3rd/early 4th round QB's hardly ever become long term starting QB's, so it's not like we miss out if he (only becomes a cheap back up QB) for us. I trust that Shanny sees something he likes, and the good thing is that we don't have to worry about needing him to produce right away, because he'll start out 3rd string.

Spot on. 👍
Very good post.
  • dj43
The roster turnover that Lynch and the FO has orchestrated is going to be amazing by the time TC ends. It would not surprise me to see 50+% new players to the team. We saw a lot of FA signings to fill specific roles that fit into the new scheme/new regime, particularly on offense. Those moves set up the defensive picks at the top of the draft. The FO did their homework and took advantage of a very good crop of defensive players coming out of college. Much of the success of this draft is due to the success of filling roles in FO.

We could very well see most, if not all of these draft picks making the 53. That is due to both the quality of the picks but also the lack of quality on the squad from last season. Even a couple of the UDFAs could make the 53.

In today's NFL, where the goal is to have 75% of the teams still in the playoff hunt in the 15th week, it makes it much easier to turn a team from a bottom-feeder to a team that competes well into the second half of the year. All the offensive pieces fit what Kyle wants to do and the fixes that came at the top of the draft are going to make the defense much better than last season. 9-7 would not surprise me at all. Lynch and friends have done a great job injection not only quality but hope into what has been a massive train wreck for four years.

These guys killed it. I love hearing them talk about why they made the moves they made. It's refreshing seeing these guys be so open and really give insight into how they operate. They're doing this the right way.
Not sure if it's successful but almost all if not all of these guys have a strength that can make them successful which is way different from Baalke's drafts.
Originally posted by BigBug415:
Originally posted by Bobdawg78:
I don't know why so many people are down on CJ? Sure we traded up for him, but he was basically our 4th round pick. We traded a 7th and that pick for the extremely late 3rd round pick that we used on CJ. Backup QB's these days cost an arm and a leg, if CJ (only) becomes a back up QB, his 4 year rookie deal will be saving us quite a bit of money by not needing to sign a spendy Vet to be the back up.

Then there's the upside, that in a year or two CJ might show that he's got starter material, and challenges for that spot or takes it over. Late 3rd/early 4th round QB's hardly ever become long term starting QB's, so it's not like we miss out if he (only becomes a cheap back up QB) for us. I trust that Shanny sees something he likes, and the good thing is that we don't have to worry about needing him to produce right away, because he'll start out 3rd string.

Spot on. 👍
Very good post.

I agree. Everyone is willing to write him off. He could DEVELOP into a starter in this league. Heaven forbid QBs are allowed to DEVELOP to reach their potential. QBs get 1 year to prove themselves in this day and age. Some dont even get a full year, just ask Goff. He is already being considered by some to be a bust. Ridiculous.
  • Eazy_
  • Veteran
Sheet Around 49ers Facility On Draft Weekend ( Photo: Peter King/The MMQB )

[ Edited by Eazy_ on May 1, 2017 at 7:59 AM ]
i hope he's as aggressive during the rookie free agent pool as he was in the draft.
Originally posted by dj43:
The roster turnover that Lynch and the FO has orchestrated is going to be amazing by the time TC ends. It would not surprise me to see 50+% new players to the team. We saw a lot of FA signings to fill specific roles that fit into the new scheme/new regime, particularly on offense. Those moves set up the defensive picks at the top of the draft. The FO did their homework and took advantage of a very good crop of defensive players coming out of college. Much of the success of this draft is due to the success of filling roles in FO.

We could very well see most, if not all of these draft picks making the 53. That is due to both the quality of the picks but also the lack of quality on the squad from last season. Even a couple of the UDFAs could make the 53.

In today's NFL, where the goal is to have 75% of the teams still in the playoff hunt in the 15th week, it makes it much easier to turn a team from a bottom-feeder to a team that competes well into the second half of the year. All the offensive pieces fit what Kyle wants to do and the fixes that came at the top of the draft are going to make the defense much better than last season. 9-7 would not surprise me at all. Lynch and friends have done a great job injection not only quality but hope into what has been a massive train wreck for four years.

IMO, the product on the field will be much better than the last few years, but it's not likely to translate into any more than 4-6 wins tops (which is a huge improvement, btw). I definitely don't see a scenario where the 2017 roster becomes a 9-7 team...that's not going to happen until we solve the QB problem.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

IMO, the product on the field will be much better than the last few years, but it's not likely to translate into any more than 4-6 wins tops (which is a huge improvement, btw). I definitely don't see a scenario where the 2017 roster becomes a 9-7 team...that's not going to happen until we solve the QB problem.

Yeah we said the same thing about Alex Smith before the 2011 season lol.
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:

And I'd be happy to eat crow for a 2011-type turnaround. Just don't see it.

Originally posted by braap49er:
Originally posted by Heroism:
No ACL picks.

This!!

Oh crap, you're right. Didn't even realize that lol. Finally!!
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:

And I'd be happy to eat crow for a 2011-type turnaround. Just don't see it.

Im not saying anything about an NFCC this year... But I'm not, not saying anything about a NFCC this year lol.

Nice post, hitting almost all the high points. Like you, I am a bit surprised fellow webzoners don't see us much better than 4-6 Ws. We have taken a sludge hammer to the previous talent, keeping what is good and shedding what isn't. The front 7 got two potential all pros, a yr or so down the road...two starters for sure. And Ahkello very likely will start. It looks like we may end up keeping as many as 9of our 10 draftees....a sterling way to start.

The thing is, that woeful D isn't going to be a little bit better, it may be terrific. If Saleh can figure out how to use AA, Solomon, and Buck, all together...we could have one helluva DL, and our D strength comes from our DBs, which also got better. Oh, and there are no flies on our LBs, suddenly.

On O we got rid of a bevy of sad WRs, and with FA and draft, got some great new blood. Beefed up running game, plus got a Cracker Jack FB. Then , Center, our weak link was made whole with zuttah. Nice depth in Gilliam. We are putting out a great OL. Early on Kyle cemented Hoyer in as QB, so we didn't have to worry about that. Right now, the stage is set for our FR QB next yr, along with a #1 WR.

Compared to how far we had fallen, that is extraordinary. Like DJ,I see us winning more than we lose this
yr, but that's about it. Some are forgetting that our HC is also our OC, and Kyle is going to win some games for us also. For yr 1...we are way ahead of schedule.

I just don't see only 4-6Ws.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on May 1, 2017 at 2:40 PM ]
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
Originally posted by CrookedCrown:
Agreed, they are trying to make that defense great again. That being said, I hope we go 5-11 this year, or worse.

6-10 is my guess. It's been my guess every year since 2015 though lol

If we do go 6-10 we have enough draft capital to move up and get a potential FQB

If we do better, like around 8-8, I see us staying pat w/Cousins.
There is that Wally, but i think we all know that neither Kyle nor john subscribe to losing to achieve a better draft position, which you were not advocating. My guess is they go all out to win at all costs, trying to see just how much better they can make this team. They know they have Hoyer and what his limitations and high points are. But how that translates into
Ws , wiht a markedly better HC...tough call. I think Dj probably has my # at 9 Ws. Now that assumes everything that could go right does, but we have seen everything break badly that one could imagine, primarily in F.O and coaching, going back some time now. So if we get the good bounce of the ball...only thing that comes to mind is....we put in our time in the cellar. We got good people at the top, sometihing this newly owned franchise has NEVER had in 17 yrs.

And now we have those great people, so how do you put a number on how many Ws Kyle gets us? How do you put a # on how many wins John gets us? And then with a revamped D, front to back,fixing the OL, adding a OW at FB, finally trashing our 3 or 4 yrs of do nothing receivers....and bringing in new blood...what does all that translate into with Ws?

By far and away, our one biggest acquisiton for getting better is...kyle shanahan. This is the guy calling the game plan, the plays. This is the guy figuring out who is best suited to play where. This is the guy who will be most repsonsible if we break .500. Now Lynch got him a great start in FA with Juttah, Jusczyk, 3 or 4 much improved WRs, and then got him the best DLineman in the draft, the best LB in the draft, and a rangy CB who probably will start by mid season or before. He also got us great depth at TE, WR, RB, DL, LB, QB, and some of those guys may be starters, but more likely rotational guys. Also got us two NTs, who can play DT. How many Ws is all that talent worth? It looks like we could actually keep 9 of our 10 picks but that remains to be seen. We got deeper, we got faster, we got more aggressive.

Sure it is easy to say ,"Oh, 4-6 Ws" . That should be pretty easy. I jsut don't see kyle shanahan saying that. Nor lynch. Those guys are going for broke, mind you, with a journeyman QB and his journeyman backup. That was decided by kyle and john from day 1. What they have done is ALMOST, almost, remake this team. Kudos to them, but don't think they ae going to be satisfied with 4-6 Ws. That is the furthest thing from their minds. They want to win...probably not playoffs, with no FR QB, but a winning record. I bet they could go with that. It will be interesting to see what the sports media says re: our record. My guess is 4-6...but i also bet they are way wrong. A little bit of great coaching and playcalling goes a long way in the NFL. I predict we are about to see that.
Share 49ersWebzone