There are 252 users in the forums

Trade chips to move up?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Staley - absolutely not unless we get a top 15 pick without having to give a 2nd or 3rd which is unlikely.

Hyde - I'd consider moving but I don't think we'd get much in return at all. We only have him under control for one more season and he has an injury history and plays a position where there's tons of talent in the draft.

If we're hypothetically talking about moving a player, I think Eric Reid could be a decent candidate. I think his value is a little overstated, and we could either replace him with Tartt or draft a player like Obi Melifonwu or Jabrill Peppers at the beginning of the 2nd or end of the 1st round. I think a team like the Cowboys would be very interested and would potentially offer a 3rd or a 2nd (if they got a pick or two as well).
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
in a perfect world, we trade Tank for a 3rd and Harold for a 4th , and use those picks to move up and grab an elite prospect , and grab a Derek Barnett or Charles Harris

lol in a make believe world, you mean. Tank isn't even worth a 7th rounder. Hes done nothing.

it would be a steal if we came away with a 7th for Tank ....I'm so disappointed in the guy, he's been given every excuse , "he's playing out of position" .."he's been hurt".."he has been asked to try too many different spots that stunted his growth (3-4 DE, 3-4 OLB, 4-3 DE) ....all I know is I've lost patience with him , last season he could have stepped it up with all of the injuries on defense and stood out among the rest , he wasn't even an average D-Lineman , SO bummed out he never answered the bell , I think it's time we moved on and gave another player a chance for his spot on the roster
I don't see Staley going any where, unless he asks to be traded which I don't see at least this year. So are only real options would be Reid who could net us a 4th or 5th round pick perhaps, nothing higher, because teams value picks too much. I think Brooks could be trade able as well, but wouldn't net us much. Perhaps we could get a 7th this year, or a 6th in 2018? Not much, but I'm all for trading him any ways, and letting a kid take his place. Brooks is almost done in this league, so no point in having him start and stunt someones growth. He doesn't make much, so that is why he might have a little appeal to someone in need of what he brings to the table.

Basically this draft should be about drafting BPA, and personally I don't want us drafting 10 or 11 guys. They're not all going to make the 53 man roster, so some will have to go to the PS and be vulnerable to other teams stealing them for nothing. We lost a couple guys last year, because we drafted too many. Fahn Cooper a 5th round pickleft for nothing, Driskell a 6th round pick left for nothing, Kelvin Taylor a 6th round pick left for nothing. At least Prince made it to our PS, but he was a 7th round pick. So basically we pissed away a 5th and two 6th round picks for NOTHING. I want to walk away from this draft with like 7 or 8 guys that actually have a good chance at being 49ers for a long time. I'm all for trading down from number 2 and acquiring more draft picks, but I'm also down with trading picks this year for better picks in next years draft. The rule of thumb generally is that what ever round you trade this year is equal to an earlier round the following year. So a 5th this year is worth a 4th next year.

I know you have to have a trade partner to get deals done, but there's always deals to be made in the later rounds, and that is where I'd be looking to trade our picks for future picks. Most of our late round picks won't make the team, just like last year, so we might as well trade those picks in a deep draft for better draft capitol in next years draft. Those picks next year could be good pieces to move around in the draft, or we could once again look to make some of those even better future assets in the draft the following year once again. So many options.
Originally posted by Bobdawg78:
I don't see Staley going any where, unless he asks to be traded which I don't see at least this year. So are only real options would be Reid who could net us a 4th or 5th round pick perhaps, nothing higher, because teams value picks too much. I think Brooks could be trade able as well, but wouldn't net us much. Perhaps we could get a 7th this year, or a 6th in 2018? Not much, but I'm all for trading him any ways, and letting a kid take his place. Brooks is almost done in this league, so no point in having him start and stunt someones growth. He doesn't make much, so that is why he might have a little appeal to someone in need of what he brings to the table.

Basically this draft should be about drafting BPA, and personally I don't want us drafting 10 or 11 guys. They're not all going to make the 53 man roster, so some will have to go to the PS and be vulnerable to other teams stealing them for nothing. We lost a couple guys last year, because we drafted too many. Fahn Cooper a 5th round pickleft for nothing, Driskell a 6th round pick left for nothing, Kelvin Taylor a 6th round pick left for nothing. At least Prince made it to our PS, but he was a 7th round pick. So basically we pissed away a 5th and two 6th round picks for NOTHING. I want to walk away from this draft with like 7 or 8 guys that actually have a good chance at being 49ers for a long time. I'm all for trading down from number 2 and acquiring more draft picks, but I'm also down with trading picks this year for better picks in next years draft. The rule of thumb generally is that what ever round you trade this year is equal to an earlier round the following year. So a 5th this year is worth a 4th next year.

I know you have to have a trade partner to get deals done, but there's always deals to be made in the later rounds, and that is where I'd be looking to trade our picks for future picks. Most of our late round picks won't make the team, just like last year, so we might as well trade those picks in a deep draft for better draft capitol in next years draft. Those picks next year could be good pieces to move around in the draft, or we could once again look to make some of those even better future assets in the draft the following year once again. So many options.

I'm hoping we use a mid round pick to move into position to grab a difference maker, if there is a player that fits what we want to do , I'd gladly package and trade away a 4th and a 5th to get the BPA in the 3rd round , it's about quality , not quantity this year ....I hope
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Originally posted by Bobdawg78:

I'm hoping we use a mid round pick to move into position to grab a difference maker, if there is a player that fits what we want to do , I'd gladly package and trade away a 4th and a 5th to get the BPA in the 3rd round , it's about quality , not quantity this year ....I hope

In a deep draft could be a combo of both but we definitely hear what you're saying. Nice post.
I'd rather move down a smidgen for more picks .

We getting Cousins next year anyways ,right?

RIGHT ?!!!
Wrong thread to be talking about trades.
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
I'd rather move down a smidgen for more picks .

We getting Cousins next year anyways ,right?

RIGHT ?!!!

You sir are correct. Passing on a QB in the top of the first will prove that
Armstead could be on the block...

True, but i think they are looking for a way to keep what little talent we have and build around it. Otherwise, it's double the work to replace every starter they trade away. There are just too many holes at NT, CB, ER/OLB/DE passrusher, ILB, and maybe another DL. Truly we need 2 LBs. Plus no way of knowing just how much or how well Bow can play this yr. Oh add Safety to the list also. Cupboard is pretty bare when it comes to legit starters on D. Considering we had many D drafts, that is an amazement.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

It's not a good draft for 3-4 DE or 4-3 DT... so he could have a lil added value cause of that, I don't think he ends up being dealt. I think ours better off letting him build his value this upcoming year and trade in 2018.
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:

It's not a good draft for 3-4 DE or 4-3 DT... so he could have a lil added value cause of that, I don't think he ends up being dealt. I think ours better off letting him build his value this upcoming year and trade in 2018.

Unless he finds his groove with Kyle and Saleh. If he lights it up...hey, nobody is saying a peep about trade...we're just glad to have him.

that would be so stupid.
I don't want to see Armstead traded, he has little value in trade, and we might as well see if he can break through with us, as opposed to having him do it for another team.
Share 49ersWebzone