LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 236 users in the forums

Rare VHS of Deion Sanders Fighting Andre Rison and INT. *Classic*

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by wailers15:
Fk I hated those uni's. I know a lot of you on here have a fkn hard on for those but those 3D numbers looked stupid. Didn't even go with the helmet and uniform. Just ugly.

they were adapted from the 1955 unis (though the white jerseys actually had black on the shoulder and sock stripes):

the team could've worn red helmets to complete the throwback look (NFL didn't have their stupid one helmet shell color policy yet), but didn't...probably so fans could still tell they were the Niners
I remember that game. Funny.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
I use to record every game on vhs. Problem was, i only had like 2 tapes
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Fk I hated those uni's. I know a lot of you on here have a fkn hard on for those but those 3D numbers looked stupid. Didn't even go with the helmet and uniform. Just ugly.
no, you're ugly

this man

Lol let me guess you probably love the all black uni's too
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:

they were adapted from the 1955 unis (though the white jerseys actually had black on the shoulder and sock stripes):

the team could've worn red helmets to complete the throwback look (NFL didn't have their stupid one helmet shell color policy yet), but didn't...probably so fans could still tell they were the Niners

I think the red helmets would've been sick, but I recall that red they used that years wasn't that classic niner's red. it was very bright.

• Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Lol let me guess you probably love the all black uni's too

Of course he does.

[ Edited by VaBeachNiner on Apr 3, 2017 at 7:24 PM ]
Originally posted by mojave45:
Yep, Deion was a great back. Loved him... When he played for us, lol.

our version of Dion was different then anyone else.

there has never been another CB that had that sort of impact, including Dion Sanders.

This will be hard for fans to understand that did not watch Dion on the 49ers. Take half the field, and mark that as a cant throw to area...now put TWO probowl safeties on the other side of the field, and dare the other team to throw the football, meanwhile make the running game useless because your team averages 30-40 points a game.

There was a point late in that season where Dion had more INTS for TDs then he had given up in first down passes. He might have ended the season like that. He did give up one TD late in the season on a goal line miscommunication...but basically he just shut down half the field.

Everyone knew the game plan...hell Dion did not even huddle with the rest of the team...he just stayed in position waiting for the next snap. Even knowing there was no subterfuge with Dion...teams still could not gain completed passes on him.

It was sheer insanity....

lol....

no....

This was pre-HD

Seeing the numbers on TV was pure hell... Most players you knew by posture size and style.... you could not read the numbers on TV
Originally posted by Wu-5Rings:
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Best part about that was him taking it to the house on the very next play and talking to the ATL sideline as he did it

Priceless

Hr likely hold some sort of one upping record. I can think of 3 times he answered a punt return or kick off return TD with one of his own. When Dion focused he was deadly.

This. I hated them as well, and thought the same exact thing about the helmet, just didn't flow. Best unis were the red jerseys with white numbers outlined in black and gold, and the real gold plants, not the pantyhose colored or mustard pants.
Originally posted by JimA49ers:

This. I hated them as well, and thought the same exact thing about the helmet, just didn't flow. Best unis were the red jerseys with white numbers outlined in black and gold, and the real gold plants, not the pantyhose colored or mustard pants.

So you like the Florida state 49ers huh lol
Started a thread in the Mock Draft subforum. Looking to set up a 32 member draft where each member represents 1 team, trying to get good members first choice on teams. Just post in the forum if you're interested.
I think the red helmets would've been sick, but I recall that red they used that years wasn't that classic niner's red. it was very bright.

1994 and 1995 especially featured this brighter color red on all of our jerseys. 1995

When they went back to the championship colors in 2009, they settled on a red more in tune with the pre 1994 uniforms.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Apr 3, 2017 at 9:50 PM ]

it's probably just bad scans of old film photos and inaccurate .jpg color renderings. also, when combined with white pants and the shadowed numbers, the scarlet red seems to "pop out" more...

team didn't have time to order a whole new set of jerseys (throwbacks were originally just gonna be worn for a couple games, then the team went on a win streak and petitioned the league to keep wearing them)

what the equipment guys did was just use the same blank template of red and white jerseys with 3 stripes, replace the sewn-on plain numerals with the dropshadow ones, and didn't sew on the smaller TV numerals above the shoulder stripes. the white pants and striped socks were obviously ordered anew (though some of the striped socks may have been leftovers from the late-80's...team switched to solid red socks by November).

keeping the same template for the white jersey resulted in the not entirely accurate 3 red shoulder stripes, when the original 1955 white jerseys had black-red-black shoulder stripes.

Niners weren't alone in doing half-assed "throwbacks" in 1994....other teams did the same: replace numeral design but keep the same jersey template; keep the same helmet shell color but replace the decals with older designs; go with a plain blank helmet; not replace the helmet at all...

...makes you wonder what the NFL will do in 2019 (100th Anniversary season) because of that silly one helmet shell color policy it implemented in 2013. last time they had accurate throwback helmets was 2009 for the 8 original AFL teams, and in 2012 for the Bucs, Pats, and Skins (as far as different helmet shell colors)
[ Edited by Dr_Bill_Walsh on Apr 4, 2017 at 7:40 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone