LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 194 users in the forums

Replacing the Strength and Conditioning Staff

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by D-NOTTE:
So did we actually change our strength and conditioning coach? Are they instituting yoga or more flexibility based workouts amongst players? Has the injury-proneness of our players been addressed

We changed them before the 2019 season.
So did we actually change our strength and conditioning coach? Are they instituting yoga or more flexibility based workouts amongst players? Has the injury-proneness of our players been addressed

I dunno but I couldn't help but chuckle at someone on twitter pointing out that maybe the injury curse was attached to Saleh after Quinnen Williams injured his foot.

Hopefully karma doesn't show up. Then again I feel like after we had so many injuries we're due for good health but I said that after the 2019 season too...so that wasn't it.

No question health is our biggest adversary again.
Don't know status of S& C, but still maintain that the job of S& C is to keep healthy guys healthy and when they get dinged up, get 'em back to work again. HOwever, it is NOT Their job to get a FA, trade or draft pick who have already been dinged up, surgerized, and expect them to keep those guys in the lineup....it just doesn't work that way. Our S & C guys are there to keep healthy guys healthy, and fix them when not. But when you get a Dee Ford type, that isn't on the S& C...that is on HC/GM. They made the decision.

As posted before, moneyball, the taking of chances on guys wiht injury for less money, is a bad bet...ONCE you have your lineup pretty well set. If you can do that during the formative yrs of a franchise....ie, when JL,KS came here, then fine. But if you continue to do that when your team is essentially built , all it does is make the IR and PUP ranks inflated.

So as noted by KS/JL in interview, health played a huge role in who they drafted, traded for, or FAed. And if not healthy, basically they weren't interested. That makes me feel like we finally are on the right track and with all draft picks (but 1 late one) cleared completely, i suspect our incredible horrid luck on IR and PUP will decr. Whatever, the S& C guys are there to get healthy guys back to the lineup. They are not there to see if a moneyball guy can be coaxed to return to practice even tho he came into camp wiht an ACL.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Don't know status of S& C, but still maintain that the job of S& C is to keep healthy guys healthy and when they get dinged up, get 'em back to work again. HOwever, it is NOT Their job to get a FA, trade or draft pick who have already been dinged up, surgerized, and expect them to keep those guys in the lineup....it just doesn't work that way. Our S & C guys are there to keep healthy guys healthy, and fix them when not. But when you get a Dee Ford type, that isn't on the S& C...that is on HC/GM. They made the decision.

As posted before, moneyball, the taking of chances on guys wiht injury for less money, is a bad bet...ONCE you have your lineup pretty well set. If you can do that during the formative yrs of a franchise....ie, when JL,KS came here, then fine. But if you continue to do that when your team is essentially built , all it does is make the IR and PUP ranks inflated.

So as noted by KS/JL in interview, health played a huge role in who they drafted, traded for, or FAed. And if not healthy, basically they weren't interested. That makes me feel like we finally are on the right track and with all draft picks (but 1 late one) cleared completely, i suspect our incredible horrid luck on IR and PUP will decr. Whatever, the S& C guys are there to get healthy guys back to the lineup. They are not there to see if a moneyball guy can be coaxed to return to practice even tho he came into camp wiht an ACL.

I understand that point but it seems as if they didn't do a good job of it as of late.
Originally posted by 49ersRing:

We changed them before the 2019 season.

ya an when did the injurys really start piling up....
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
Originally posted by Heroism:
One factor is the steroids. It's the elephant in the room that nobody wants to address. These dudes are getting too damn big for their joints and ligaments. The human body has built-in limits. Your muscles will only grow as much as your tendons and ligaments allow them to, but with things like anabolic steroids, insulin, and GH, your muscles outgrow the pace at which your tendons can keep up. It's just the truth.

Also, I don't know why this is, but terrible weight training instruction is so prevalent in football weight rooms. If you want to see terrible weightlifting form, just go into a football weight room. Now, this isn't true for every single program, but it's far too prevalent. My brother is 30 years old, and his body is DESTROYED(no meniscus in either knee, multiple labram surgeries) not from football itself but the absolute s**t weight training he was taught in high school. The number of young players I see on social media sacrificing their bodies to hit a PR in power cleans while abandoning all form just so they can post it on their IG and get props is f**king sad.

This doesn't explain why our team has been more injured than others for the last 6 years unless the implication is that our players use steroids more or have poorer weightlifting form than other teams.

For one they've been taking flyers on a lot of guys that were already injury prone. That's been going on for almost 20 years now. Sometimes injuries are bad luck and its entirely possible that guys will bounce back but I also think that some athletes due to genetics or structural issues are going to be predisposed to injury and it feels like the 49ers have acquired more than their fair share of the latter, always looking for a steal or a discount on a player due to their injury history and it rarely ever works out.
I think coaching philosophy is also a factor.

A not insignificant number of last year's injuries happened when players were attempting to get more out of a play than the play actually provided for.

Off the top of my head, I can remember Wilson and Deebo getting hurt by their maniacal determination to run through defenders.That's their game, and Shanahan loves them for it, but it comes at a cost, and sometimes that cost is availability.

The whole YAC philosophy that much of our offense is built on puts players in more situations where they are likely to get hurt.

Kittle got hurt making a catch with an awkward pirouette (so his feet were not directly under him, much like how the Warrior's James Wiseman was lost for the season this year on an awkward one-legged leap at the rim). Nice play, but no more Kittle for quite a few games.

Jimmy got hurt once when he put his head down to go through a defender on the left sideline in a futile (though admirable) attempt to get an important first down. Another time (or maybe twice?), Jimmy got hurt when he tried in vain to escape a sack, leaving his ankle exposed, when a smarter approach might have been to cut his losses on that play, curl into a ball for safety, protect the football, and accept the sack.

My memory's not perfect, but you get the idea, and I know there were other, perhaps better, examples of this, I don't keep lists of them, lol.

It's football, and some of these things are how you win, but at some point you have to find the balance of taking what is there from a particular play and living to fight another day.

I would think that balance and proportionate risk would be skills that could be taught and worked on, so conditioning coach stuff (though maybe non-traditional approaches would be best to teach this), but also the overall coaching philosophy that tries to maximize the YAC or outcome of every play beyond its safe threshold has a great cost.

Watch someone like Russell Wilson. He finds clever and effective ways to escape and/or to run upfield, and rarely gets squared up. Sacked a lot, makes hella plays upfield, but rarely gets hurt. He's not looking for YAC, he's looking to avoid contact, and when it's imminent, he puts his body in a safe position for it (often sliding when upfield), it's something he has mastered.

Frank Gore is another example of a guy who knows how to get a lot out of a play but not in a reckless way, he keeps his feet under control and underneath him, and when the play's over, he takes care of the ball and goes down to safety.

Jerry Rice was another player who sure as hell knew how to get a lot out of a play, combining great balance and control with intelligence that told him, despite his conviction that every time he had the ball he should score, how to reasonably come to terms with how a play was resolving so he could keep playing.

I'm not saying this explains all of our problems, obviously a number of these injuries (such as Bosa's) don't fit this profile, but I think our team, more than most, has a lot of injuries that do. Something to consider.
[ Edited by FiftyNiner on May 6, 2021 at 12:34 AM ]
Now everyone take a deep breath.............Did we replace this guy?
Now everyone take a deep breath.............Did we replace this guy?

It's not just one guy, and no.
Originally posted by FiftyNiner:

A not insignificant number of last year's injuries happened when players were attempting to get more out of a play than the play actually provided for.

Off the top of my head, I can remember Wilson and Deebo getting hurt by their maniacal determination to run through defenders.That's their game, and Shanahan loves them for it, but it comes at a cost, and sometimes that cost is availability.

The whole YAC philosophy that much of our offense is built on puts players in more situations where they are likely to get hurt.

Kittle got hurt making a catch with an awkward pirouette (so his feet were not directly under him, much like how the Warrior's James Wiseman was lost for the season this year on an awkward one-legged leap at the rim). Nice play, but no more Kittle for quite a few games.

Jimmy got hurt once when he put his head down to go through a defender on the left sideline in a futile (though admirable) attempt to get an important first down. Another time (or maybe twice?), Jimmy got hurt when he tried in vain to escape a sack, leaving his ankle exposed, when a smarter approach might have been to cut his losses on that play, curl into a ball for safety, protect the football, and accept the sack.

My memory's not perfect, but you get the idea, and I know there were other, perhaps better, examples of this, I don't keep lists of them, lol.

It's football, and some of these things are how you win, but at some point you have to find the balance of taking what is there from a particular play and living to fight another day.

I would think that balance and proportionate risk would be skills that could be taught and worked on, so conditioning coach stuff (though maybe non-traditional approaches would be best to teach this), but also the overall coaching philosophy that tries to maximize the YAC or outcome of every play beyond its safe threshold has a great cost.

Watch someone like Russell Wilson. He finds clever and effective ways to escape and/or to run upfield, and rarely gets squared up. Sacked a lot, makes hella plays upfield, but rarely gets hurt. He's not looking for YAC, he's looking to avoid contact, and when it's imminent, he puts his body in a safe position for it (often sliding when upfield), it's something he has mastered.

Frank Gore is another example of a guy who knows how to get a lot out of a play but not in a reckless way, he keeps his feet under control and underneath him, and when the play's over, he takes care of the ball and goes down to safety.

Jerry Rice was another player who sure as hell knew how to get a lot out of a play, combining great balance and control with intelligence that told him, despite his conviction that every time he had the ball he should score, how to reasonably come to terms with how a play was resolving so he could keep playing.

I'm not saying this explains all of our problems, obviously a number of these injuries (such as Bosa's) don't fit this profile, but I think our team, more than most, has a lot of injuries that do. Something to consider.

Nice thotful post …but it makes me queasy when kyle or fans start talking about Trey running the ball. If the hole is big enough to drive a truck thru, fine, go for it. But my hope with Trey is that he runs like Russ W, and keeps from getting tagged all the time. I know kyle likes tough guys but this is a 2 first rd picks and swapping our #1 (#13) for their #1 (#3 pick in draft).

When fans get excited about Trey being our running QB, i think back to Wentz's dive for the goal line and basically screwed up his career…or Dak in Dallas, or JG on the sideline running for more yds in a game we had already lost. Look at the QB injuries last yr…in part due to the covid no PS, No real OTAs, no real TC. I just don't want to blow this much player capital on a guy who runs like BALT QB. Trey is built , 230, and an exceptional runner.

But that isn't what i want to see him doing. Run, sure. But run to stay out of trouble and not get plastered , like RW did last yr. (SEA OL took a dump ). I want Trey to be here 10 yrs or more. If we have him running, i just hate to see the hits by 330 lb DLs and 260 lb LBs wiht a full head of steam. I'd like to protect him, or at least not put him at risk on most plays.

I hope that is Kyle's wish also, but wonder if we won't see Trey going RB on us…at Kyle's command.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Jul 31, 2021 at 1:41 PM ]

Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Originally posted by FiftyNiner:

Nice thotful post …but it makes me queasy when kyle or fans start talking about Trey running the ball. If the hole is big enough to drive a truck thru, fine, go for it. But my hope with Trey is that he runs like Russ W, and keeps from getting tagged all the time. I know kyle likes tough guys but this is a 2 first rd picks and swapping our #1 (#13) for their #1 (#3 pick in draft).

When fans get excited about Trey being our running QB, i think back to Wentz's dive for the goal line and basically screwed up his career…or Dak in Dallas, or JG on the sideline running for more yds in a game we had already lost. Look at the QB injuries last yr…in part due to the covid no PS, No real OTAs, no real TC. I just don't want to blow this much player capital on a guy who runs like BALT QB. Trey is built , 230, and an exceptional runner.

But that isn't what i want to see him doing. Run, sure. But run to stay out of trouble and not get plastered , like RW did last yr. (SEA OL took a dump ). I want Trey to be here 10 yrs or more. If we have him running, i just hate to see the hits by 330 lb DLs and 260 lb LBs wiht a full head of steam. I'd like to protect him, or at least not put him at risk on most plays.

I hope that is Kyle's wish also, but wonder if we won't see Trey going RB on us…at Kyle's command.

That's one of my biggest worries about Trey. On runs, he seemed to relish contact and use his physical strength to push through for extra yards. Doing that in the NFL is not the key to longevity.

Hopefully he'll learn when to just slide or go out of bounds and not try to always pick up that one extra yard. Plus, if he gets really good at going down at the last second it's really easy to get an extra 15 yards via penalty as we've seen with Murray and Wilson over the years. Research has shown that running QBs don't have a higher rate of injury than pocket QBs, but that is likely dependent on them being smart about not taking unnecessary hits.
Share 49ersWebzone