49ers vs. Commanders Tickets Available! →

There are 854 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
https://sports.betmgm.com/en/blog/nfl/coach-of-the-year-odds-predictions-this-season-bm16/

I really have to ask: real talk, what do the voters have against Shanny? I honestly don't get it. How can he be 6th in the odds to win Coach of the Year? Seriously, what are they holding against Shanny year after year? I honestly don't get it.
The 49ers past has created some strong animosity with a lot of NFL alum

If that's the case - if that's TRULY the case - then the Coach of the Year Award is fraudulent, and I can't take it seriously. I can't blame the Vegas odds makers because they seem to know something about the voters that nobody else do, and they seem to always be right when it comes to this. So if what you say is true, that basically the voters are holding some grudge against the franchise, and making Shanny pay for it regardless of how well he does, then the Coach of the Year Award is a fraud. Because nobody is convincing me that Shanny is doing the 6th best coaching job so far this season. I'd like to hear that argument.

The CoTY award is basically meaningless at this point. In the last 10 years, winners include Brian Daboll, Matt Nagy, and Kevin Stefanski (twice) amongst others. If Kyle didn't win it in 2022 when he went 13-4 with 3 different starting QBs he probably never will.
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
https://sports.betmgm.com/en/blog/nfl/coach-of-the-year-odds-predictions-this-season-bm16/

I really have to ask: real talk, what do the voters have against Shanny? I honestly don't get it. How can he be 6th in the odds to win Coach of the Year? Seriously, what are they holding against Shanny year after year? I honestly don't get it.
The 49ers past has created some strong animosity with a lot of NFL alum

If that's the case - if that's TRULY the case - then the Coach of the Year Award is fraudulent, and I can't take it seriously. I can't blame the Vegas odds makers because they seem to know something about the voters that nobody else do, and they seem to always be right when it comes to this. So if what you say is true, that basically the voters are holding some grudge against the franchise, and making Shanny pay for it regardless of how well he does, then the Coach of the Year Award is a fraud. Because nobody is convincing me that Shanny is doing the 6th best coaching job so far this season. I'd like to hear that argument.

The CoTY award is basically meaningless at this point. In the last 10 years, winners include Brian Daboll, Matt Nagy, and Kevin Stefanski (twice) amongst others. If Kyle didn't win it in 2022 when he went 13-4 with 3 different starting QBs he probably never will.
you can go as far as back to Kyles first season and the way he ended that season with turing around a dumpster fire Org
-He should of won it in 2019, starting the season undefeated for nearly 3 months and going to a SB that we were robbed of
-He should have won it again for 2021, 2022, 2023 taking a entire new team to a SB that we were robbed of again
-He should have won it last year for taking a JV squad 12-5 and knocking out a top team on the road.

it's truly a fraud of an award
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
you can go as far as back to Kyles first season and the way he ended that season with turing around a dumpster fire Org
-He should of won it in 2019, starting the season undefeated for nearly 3 months and going to a SB that we were robbed of
-He should have won it again for 2021, 2022, 2023 taking a entire new team to a SB that we were robbed of again
-He should have won it last year for taking a JV squad 12-5 and knocking out a top team on the road.

it's truly a fraud of an award

like all of the awards, in the 80s they were giving nfl mvp to barefoot kickers and not jerry rice so who cares about their lil rinky dink award you think daboll is polishing his trophy right now? he's polishing his resume he can't score any pts
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
https://sports.betmgm.com/en/blog/nfl/coach-of-the-year-odds-predictions-this-season-bm16/

I really have to ask: real talk, what do the voters have against Shanny? I honestly don't get it. How can he be 6th in the odds to win Coach of the Year? Seriously, what are they holding against Shanny year after year? I honestly don't get it.
The 49ers past has created some strong animosity with a lot of NFL alum

If that's the case - if that's TRULY the case - then the Coach of the Year Award is fraudulent, and I can't take it seriously. I can't blame the Vegas odds makers because they seem to know something about the voters that nobody else do, and they seem to always be right when it comes to this. So if what you say is true, that basically the voters are holding some grudge against the franchise, and making Shanny pay for it regardless of how well he does, then the Coach of the Year Award is a fraud. Because nobody is convincing me that Shanny is doing the 6th best coaching job so far this season. I'd like to hear that argument.

The CoTY award is basically meaningless at this point. In the last 10 years, winners include Brian Daboll, Matt Nagy, and Kevin Stefanski (twice) amongst others. If Kyle didn't win it in 2022 when he went 13-4 with 3 different starting QBs he probably never will.
you can go as far as back to Kyles first season and the way he ended that season with turing around a dumpster fire Org
-He should of won it in 2019, starting the season undefeated for nearly 3 months and going to a SB that we were robbed of
-He should have won it again for 2021, 2022, 2023 taking a entire new team to a SB that we were robbed of again
-He should have won it last year for taking a JV squad 12-5 and knocking out a top team on the road.

it's truly a fraud of an award

It looks that way. But I really would like to know what the voter's are basing this on. Now I know that's wishful thinking because they'll never come out and say what they are judging on (which makes it even more fraudulent). But for my own indulgence, I really would like to hear their logic as to how they think that Shanny is doing the 6th best coaching job in 2026 (if those Vegas odds play out that way).
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
It looks that way. But I really would like to know what the voter's are basing this on. Now I know that's wishful thinking because they'll never come out and say what they are judging on (which makes it even more fraudulent). But for my own indulgence, I really would like to hear their logic as to how they think that Shanny is doing the 6th best coaching job in 2026 (if those Vegas odds play out that way).

cuz it's moronic they bake a lot of weird stuff into the award they say oh we thought you were gonna suck and you didn't that's the award, so his only real shot was maybe 2019 unless he goes undefeated or something
It's week 5 guys and a lot of your perceptions are baked into those odds.

Most of us know how great of a coach Kyle is. The other candidates at the top of that list are off to a great start as well.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
It's week 5 guys and a lot of your perceptions are baked into those odds.

Most of us know how great of a coach Kyle is. The other candidates at the top of that list are off to a great start as well.
For me, I don't even pay attention to that stuff cause I know Kyle is not winning it no matter what.. It's just the irony of the award
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Oct 9, 2026 at 10:39 AM ]
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
It's week 5 guys and a lot of your perceptions are baked into those odds.

Most of us know how great of a coach Kyle is. The other candidates at the top of that list are off to a great start as well.
For me, I don't even pay attention to that stuff cause I know Kyle is not winning it no matter what.. It's just the irony of the award

COY or POY. MVP. Those are fine for the individual but the only one that the fans really care about is the Lombardi.
  • Sickaa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 10,830
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
It's week 5 guys and a lot of your perceptions are baked into those odds.

Most of us know how great of a coach Kyle is. The other candidates at the top of that list are off to a great start as well.
For me, I don't even pay attention to that stuff cause I know Kyle is not winning it no matter what.. It's just the irony of the award

COY or POY. MVP. Those are fine for the individual but the only one that the fans really care about is the Lombardi.

Absolutely! Winning the super bowl is the only thing that matters
Bill Belichick won the award twice. Obviously, he wasn't the best HC in the league for only those two years. Same for Reid. If your team has done awesome and there are expectations, it's unlikely said coach will win.

Daboll & Nagy took over teams without expectations. In fact, both teams were rotten the few years prior. Their team had an unsustainable way of winning. The record looked good. The next season there was a course correction. More film is available. And the inferior coaches get exposed before getting fired eventually.

This is why the league is full of with overall poor HC's who have won the award.

Jmo.
[ Edited by 49ers9797 on Oct 9, 2026 at 1:25 PM ]
Originally posted by 49ers9797:
Bill Belichick won the award twice. Obviously, he wasn't the best HC in the league for only those two years. Same for Reid. If your team has done awesome and there are expectations, it's unlikely said coach will win.

Daboll & Nagy took over teams without expectations. In fact, both teams were rotten the few years prior. Their team had an unsustainable way of winning. The record looked good. The next season there was a course correction. More film is available. And the inferior coaches get exposed before getting fired eventually.

This is why the league is full of with overall poor HC's who have won the award.

Jmo.

Anecdotally, I think the COY award is the least relevant of the yearly awards. Been involved in football conversations/arguments for decades now, and nobody ever cites it when discussing or comparing coaches. There's usually multiple deserving candidates as well.
  • dj43
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 38,439
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
It's week 5 guys and a lot of your perceptions are baked into those odds.

Most of us know how great of a coach Kyle is. The other candidates at the top of that list are off to a great start as well.
For me, I don't even pay attention to that stuff cause I know Kyle is not winning it no matter what.. It's just the irony of the award

Kyle is just the son of a great coach and father that told him all he knows...just a system guy...

...Brock Purdy was drafted last so he doesn't get props either.
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
It's week 5 guys and a lot of your perceptions are baked into those odds.

Most of us know how great of a coach Kyle is. The other candidates at the top of that list are off to a great start as well.
For me, I don't even pay attention to that stuff cause I know Kyle is not winning it no matter what.. It's just the irony of the award

Kyle is just the son of a great coach and father that told him all he knows...just a system guy...

...Brock Purdy was drafted last so he doesn't get props either.

I don't think it was just because he was drafted last. I think it's more about his physical stature. His level of play is stsrting to make people around the league accept the fact that he's a good QB and many of them wish they had taken him. If he can lead the team to a SB title then you may see a trend in ther league where teams start looking at QBs that have 4-6 years of college starts instead of the 2 year physical specimens. We're starting to see it now with the NIL and transfer portal allowing QBs to stay in college longer. Some teams may decide it's better to grab that premier edge rusher or OT in the first round and take a QB that has 4-6 years of experience in a later round.
[ Edited by CatchMaster80 on Oct 9, 2026 at 2:38 PM ]
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
It's week 5 guys and a lot of your perceptions are baked into those odds.

Most of us know how great of a coach Kyle is. The other candidates at the top of that list are off to a great start as well.
For me, I don't even pay attention to that stuff cause I know Kyle is not winning it no matter what.. It's just the irony of the award

Kyle is just the son of a great coach and father that told him all he knows...just a system guy...

...Brock Purdy was drafted last so he doesn't get props either.
Kyles a system coach ?
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
It's week 5 guys and a lot of your perceptions are baked into those odds.

Most of us know how great of a coach Kyle is. The other candidates at the top of that list are off to a great start as well.
For me, I don't even pay attention to that stuff cause I know Kyle is not winning it no matter what.. It's just the irony of the award

Kyle is just the son of a great coach and father that told him all he knows...just a system guy...

...Brock Purdy was drafted last so he doesn't get props either.

I don't think it was just because he was drafted last. I think it's more about his physical stature. His level of play is stsrting to make people around the league accept the fact that he's a good QB and many of them wish they had taken him. If he can lead the team to a SB title then you may see a trend in ther league where teams start looking at QBs that have 4-6 years of college starts instead of the 2 year physical specimens. We're starting to see it now with the NIL and transfer portal allowing QBs to stay in college longer. Some teams may decide it's better to grab that premier edge rusher or OT in the first round and take a QB that has 4-6 years of experience in a later round.

His stature plays into it bc he was a 7th round pick. If he was 6'4 and drafted in the 7th, nobody would be batting an eye. They would say s**t like he's the next Brady, but also athletic.

It's just hard to fathom QBs being that short and successful bc it rarely happens nowadays.
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone