Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by genus49:
I agree with this honestly. We did what we had to do. This game doesn't move the needle for me. It's why I felt very confident going into this game because between Kyle and our vets I knew the only shot the Dolphins had would be an insane amount of key injuries early...thankfully that didn't happen. Sadly we ended up losing a couple of guys anyways tho it still didn't matter.
I love what I'm seeing from Brock and Kyle so far this year but I need to see it vs Denver and Seattle(on the road) that to me will be the real test. I expect them to take it to this Dolphins team without their best pass rusher.
What does annoy me is that eventually Kyle/Brock will have an off game(hopefully get it out of the way in the regular season and save the best for the hopeful postseason) and those people will ignore all the good on their way to bash them.
But yes - I need to see them vs the top defenses in the league. We'll have to see whether the Rams were a legit test or an illusion cuz of the Australia factor.
I've always thought the issue is defense with Kyle. In other words, Kyle's offenses will always be good (or productive - in a sense). Give him offensive chicken 💩💩💩 he'll make chicken salad.
If there is a weakness with Kyle its with his defenses. This year its run defense. Years previously - its been pass defense.
What i like about this years defenses is scheme flexibility. Raheem doesn't have the personnel (and probably will never have) the kind of players that can dominate the run and shut it down like the steel curtain days of old. But he can stop the run with his scheme change up's. He has all these hybrid players that can start crowding the LOS on runs or drop back into coverage on passes. So Raheem is the Kyle Shanahan of defenses (at least i'm hoping he's more like Mike MacDonald) versus the Demeco and Saleh's of the NFL.
To a degree. We had some terrific defenses under Kyle(until other teams poached our DCs) but the offense was limited by the QB play. Right now Brock and Kyle are in a clear groove so they're extra productive(though like any QB you can only do so much with poor players...so we need to avoid further injury to our top guys)
We'll see how Raheem's D progresses. I do think going from Saleh to Raheem hurt us on the personnel front. In order to attract Saleh last year we clearly gave him the green light to bring in his guys. He ran the draft and we have Mykel, Alfred, Martin, Stout and CJ West in the first 5 picks.
Raheem comes in without the same green light though we did make some big moves with the addition of Osa via trade and bringing back Greenlaw. Mykel still out at least another 2 weeks. Alfred and any potential he had is gone until at best next season. CJ looks to be regressing in Raheem's scheme. Martin is on IR and who knows if he'll get any playing time. Stout at least is still playing great. Clearly DBs are Raheem's strength.
I'll be curious if we end up trading for someone this year but my guess is we'll give him a better draft haul next draft. For now we better hope our key DLmen stay healthy and we manage to clean up our tackling.