49ers vs. Seahawks Tickets Available! →

There are 867 users in the forums

John Lynch - 49ers GM

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 67,105
Originally posted by Cosmo:
More and more I'm beginning to agree with the Rams approach of trading high picks for proven talent. The Lance debacle screwed us out of a few 1st rounders, but even when we've had them none have been worth it outside of Bosa.

I wish Lynch would kinda take that approach. Just swing for the fences. I've been bringing up TJ Watt and if not him, how about someone of his caliber type trade. I really would love to see Buckner or Grover Stewart but we should at least see what we have in McKinnley Jackson and Naquon Jones first. I really like the Will McDonald mention but IMO it shouldn't take much to get him. 49ers need to do something though, this team takes a hit from injuries each week and seems to get weaker and weaker on defense.

BTW all these trade fits are annoying AF, yah I get it the 49ers are a fit for EVERY trade.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by Cosmo:
More and more I'm beginning to agree with the Rams approach of trading high picks for proven talent. The Lance debacle screwed us out of a few 1st rounders, but even when we've had them none have been worth it outside of Bosa.

I wish Lynch would kinda take that approach. Just swing for the fences. I've been bringing up TJ Watt and if not him, how about someone of his caliber type trade. I really would love to see Buckner or Grover Stewart but we should at least see what we have in McKinnley Jackson and Naquon Jones first. I really like the Will McDonald mention but IMO it shouldn't take much to get him. 49ers need to do something though, this team takes a hit from injuries each week and seems to get weaker and weaker on defense.

BTW all these trade fits are annoying AF, yah I get it the 49ers are a fit for EVERY trade.

We do swing for the fences and make trades when it makes sense, but they have to keep an eye on the big picture and not be overly reactionary or get caught up in the moment. Last year, people got really mad when we didn't trade for Jaelan Philips (or another big name) at the deadline, but it was the right move to sit tight. It wouldn't have made a difference last year if we had traded for one of those guys. It definitely didn't help the Eagles.
I too like the idea of trading our higher picks for proven players. But there is also a right way to do it. IMO the key is loading up on mid round picks especially considering those are the rounds we often hit on the most.

Go back and look at the 2nd round from 4 or 5 years ago. The majority of those picks didnt work out for their teams. Why take that gamble, trade that 2nd round pick for a proven player. You'll need a creative cap guy in the building that's for sure but if you do it right and hit on a few mid round picks here and there you can sustain success.
TJ Watt is most definitely not getting traded lmao. Steelers are first in their division.

If you want a splash, your best bet is someone like Jeffrey Simmons on the Titans. Maxx Crosby isn't happening either not after the Raiders' 3-0 start.
[ Edited by Fanaticofnfl on Oct 1, 2026 at 1:24 PM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 67,105
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
TJ Watt is most definitely not getting traded lmao. Steelers are first in their division.

If you want a splash, your best bet is someone like Jeffrey Simmons on the Titans. Maxx Crosby isn't happening either not after the Raiders' 3-0 start.

To say this WOULD be unrealistic. Especially since Myles Garrett was traded and Pittsburgh, everyone has a price. And if anyone is holding onto a player it's Tennessee, they really don't have anyone after Jeffery Simmons. At least Pittsburgh has Highsmith and Herbig. Although I wonder what it would take to get Simmons?
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
TJ Watt is most definitely not getting traded lmao. Steelers are first in their division.

If you want a splash, your best bet is someone like Jeffrey Simmons on the Titans. Maxx Crosby isn't happening either not after the Raiders' 3-0 start.

To say this WOULD be unrealistic. Especially since Myles Garrett was traded and Pittsburgh, everyone has a price. And if anyone is holding onto a player it's Tennessee, they really don't have anyone after Jeffery Simmons. At least Pittsburgh has Highsmith and Herbig. Although I wonder what it would take to get Simmons?

Simmons would probably take a 1st and another mid-round pick. Perhaps we would have to put in CJ West or Alfred Collins or someone Robert Saleh wanted us to draft last year, as well.

If the Steelers were terrible I get it but they clearly think they can still compete with this being Rodgers last year and competitive in their division. The absolute earliest TJ gets traded is after this season.

Meanwhile, unless Cam Ward turns it around overnight, the Titans might want to tear it down and sell high on a 29-year-old Jeffrey Simmons. Might buy Saleh some time as well to do his own rebuild, who knows? He wasn't the one who picked Cam Ward after all…
[ Edited by Fanaticofnfl on Oct 1, 2026 at 2:19 PM ]
Trading our higher picks for proven players? This one bothers me a bit. I am not sure how we could manage the salary cap with more relatively high salary players. Also, we obviously have 7 picks a year, with some flexing. To get any value out of this, we are going to have to use most of our picks to get 3 or 4 proven players. Leaving us with very little left to use to fill the vacancies which arise and of course to cover the numbers of injuries. I don't know if I am thinking it through clearly enough and obviously the Rams have made it work as a strategy, but with the salary cap in place I think I will stick with the draft as the main process of developing the team, with of course the use of relatively low cost FA to top up where necessary.
  • Cosmo
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,410
Originally posted by English:
Trading our higher picks for proven players? This one bothers me a bit. I am not sure how we could manage the salary cap with more relatively high salary players. Also, we obviously have 7 picks a year, with some flexing. To get any value out of this, we are going to have to use most of our picks to get 3 or 4 proven players. Leaving us with very little left to use to fill the vacancies which arise and of course to cover the numbers of injuries. I don't know if I am thinking it through clearly enough and obviously the Rams have made it work as a strategy, but with the salary cap in place I think I will stick with the draft as the main process of developing the team, with of course the use of relatively low cost FA to top up where necessary.

Team obviously had the philosophy of getting younger and cheaper last offseason, but with BA coming off the books, they should have flexibility with the cap. I know everyone is focused on the D-line, but I'm still wondering what the plan is to replace TW. He's worth every penny he makes, Kittle and Warner too, but unless Bosa can figure out a way to stay on the field, his $ would definitely be better spent on someone more durable.
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 37,244
Originally posted by Cosmo:
Originally posted by English:
Trading our higher picks for proven players? This one bothers me a bit. I am not sure how we could manage the salary cap with more relatively high salary players. Also, we obviously have 7 picks a year, with some flexing. To get any value out of this, we are going to have to use most of our picks to get 3 or 4 proven players. Leaving us with very little left to use to fill the vacancies which arise and of course to cover the numbers of injuries. I don't know if I am thinking it through clearly enough and obviously the Rams have made it work as a strategy, but with the salary cap in place I think I will stick with the draft as the main process of developing the team, with of course the use of relatively low cost FA to top up where necessary.

Team obviously had the philosophy of getting younger and cheaper last offseason, but with BA coming off the books, they should have flexibility with the cap. I know everyone is focused on the D-line, but I'm still wondering what the plan is to replace TW. He's worth every penny he makes, Kittle and Warner too, but unless Bosa can figure out a way to stay on the field, his $ would definitely be better spent on someone more durable.

RIght or wrong I think they are saving cap for resigning legacy players next year.
  • FL9r
  • Member
  • Posts: 290
Don't worry guys we went out and got Malik Turner. lynchy is all over it.
Originally posted by FL9r:
Don't worry guys we went out and got Malik Turner. lynchy is all over it.

Looking how Denzel Boston is lighting it up in Cleveland makes me wonder if Lynch missed on another one for a guy they fell in love with.

I think Stribling has potential and it's unfortunate he got hurt but I loved Boston coming out.

It happens every year with this regime. They over draft a guy with traits and pass on few a better players
Originally posted by Sask49erFan:
Originally posted by FL9r:
Don't worry guys we went out and got Malik Turner. lynchy is all over it.

Looking how Denzel Boston is lighting it up in Cleveland makes me wonder if Lynch missed on another one for a guy they fell in love with.

I think Stribling has potential and it's unfortunate he got hurt but I loved Boston coming out.

It happens every year with this regime. They over draft a guy with traits and pass on few a better players
Strib was thee Rookie WR before the season started.. don't act like Boston was better
  • BP13
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 7,659
Originally posted by Sask49erFan:
Originally posted by FL9r:
Don't worry guys we went out and got Malik Turner. lynchy is all over it.

Looking how Denzel Boston is lighting it up in Cleveland makes me wonder if Lynch missed on another one for a guy they fell in love with.

I think Stribling has potential and it's unfortunate he got hurt but I loved Boston coming out.

It happens every year with this regime. They over draft a guy with traits and pass on few a better players

Lots of people passed on Boston. 38 players were picked before him.
  • FL9r
  • Member
  • Posts: 290
Originally posted by BP13:
Originally posted by Sask49erFan:
Originally posted by FL9r:
Don't worry guys we went out and got Malik Turner. lynchy is all over it.

Looking how Denzel Boston is lighting it up in Cleveland makes me wonder if Lynch missed on another one for a guy they fell in love with.

I think Stribling has potential and it's unfortunate he got hurt but I loved Boston coming out.

It happens every year with this regime. They over draft a guy with traits and pass on few a better players

Lots of people passed on Boston. 38 players were picked before him.

Lynch seems to find a way to get the wrong guy, even when on paper it seems to be the right choice. His draft history for receivers is a horror show. Luck? Maybe but the consistency in bad outcomes is outstanding. Deebo is the only dude worth talking about. The rest are hurt, never developed and practice squad level talent.
Originally posted by FL9r:
Originally posted by BP13:
Originally posted by Sask49erFan:
Originally posted by FL9r:
Don't worry guys we went out and got Malik Turner. lynchy is all over it.

Looking how Denzel Boston is lighting it up in Cleveland makes me wonder if Lynch missed on another one for a guy they fell in love with.

I think Stribling has potential and it's unfortunate he got hurt but I loved Boston coming out.

It happens every year with this regime. They over draft a guy with traits and pass on few a better players

Lots of people passed on Boston. 38 players were picked before him.

Lynch seems to find a way to get the wrong guy, even when on paper it seems to be the right choice. His draft history for receivers is a horror show. Luck? Maybe but the consistency in bad outcomes is outstanding. Deebo is the only dude worth talking about. The rest are hurt, never developed and practice squad level talent.

I don't know what the talent acquisition side of the house can learn from the Stribling failure. He didn't have an injury history. He looked as good as advertised in camp and the preseason games. It's just unfortunate that he hasn't been able to stay healthy. What's the lesson to take away from that when it comes to evaluating future draft talent?
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone