Rep the Red & Gold: Shop 49ers Gear →

There are 720 users in the forums

John Lynch - 49ers GM

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by braap49er:

What should we accept for Mac Jones? DE? 1st round pick only?

Mac Jones & a 7th to NY Giants for:

Brian Burns
Originally posted by braap49er:

What should we accept for Mac Jones? DE? 1st round pick only?

I'd rather keep Mac unless it's a crazy haul which seems unlikely. The Giants are not a Mac Jones away from being contenders, so I don't see why they'd give up anything significant for 1 season of Mac Jones.
[ Edited by 49ersRing on Sep 22, 2026 at 11:56 AM ]
I know Mac Jones balled last season but right now I am high on our 3rd stringer Kurtis Roarke. Hindsight is 20/20 but asking for a 1st was a bit much. I would have gladly taken the Alex Smith deal for Mac. Now Drew Locke is looking like this year's Mac Jones and our division rival stand to gain a nice haul for him instead
Originally posted by FL9r:
Beating a team that belongs in the cfl is masking an annual injury pandemic that continues to accelerate. We are down at receiver and the d line is suffering. Just wait until we play a real team. Our gaps will be exposed. Brock won't be looking like he did when he has nobody to throw to and he needs to score 35 to win… We can't afford anymore injuries and we don't have the depth to cover them if they happen. This is the problem with fielding the oldest team while also missing on draft picks. When the senior citizen squad is healthy and on the field we look great. When they go down one by one we meet the analyst expectations. Every year we get teased with spectacular performances for a few games then reality clubs us. Just saying… we keep doing it the lynch way and we will continue being frustrated and disappointed.

The Rams are a CFL team? Weird, all I've heard all summer long is that they are far and away the best, most talented roster in the NFL and one of the greatest rosters of all time.

Did you just start following the 49ers' this season? Because only a fan who doesn't watch games or pay the slightest bit of attention would imply that Purdy hasn't had his way with good defenses in the past.

John Lynch has fielded the most talented roster in the NFL for 7 years straight, the only years they weren't in the in NFCCG was because they were absolutely decimated by injuries. Sorry that completely destroys your need for misery, hope you can have a better day today.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 67,132
Originally posted by braap49er:

What should we accept for Mac Jones? DE? 1st round pick only?

If they want Mac Jones, I'd do it for Kayvon Thibodeaux straight up.
Originally posted by Giedi:
I think Dugger will help the run stuffing by turning a four man line into a five man line if he lines up at the LOS. Add in Mykel Williams comming back in a couple of weeks - long term i'm confident the run defense will improve.

I think CJ West and Alfred haven't done as well this year as last year, is because of more of a scheme change than A regression in talent.

CJ West and Alfred Collins aren't the type of DT's that Raheem likes. He likes Pocket Collapsers over Space Eaters. Unlike coordinators who rely on massive, immovable defensive tackles to soak up blocks (Saleh/Demeco in the Wide 9), Morris prioritizes athletic interior defenders with high pass-rush efficacy. His scheme actively manufactures one-on-one situations across the line, requiring defensive tackles who can win those matchups rapidly.

I'm an optimist, but there is literaly 0 excuse for West and Collins performance this year. There is no scheme that allows or gives leighway to your DT's getting stood up and blown off the line of scrimmage 3-4 yards down the field. We better hope CJ West is just out of shape and needs to get his wind back, because the only other possibilites are that he just f**ked off his entire off season and didn't work out and lost power or he just has terrible technique and keeps getting stood up.

I was optimistic about both these players and I'll still hold out hope for West to turn it around, I just don't know how realistic that is at all, let alone for it to happen this year. A torn pataller tendon on a 6'6, 330 lb man might unfortunately be a career ender.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by braap49er:

What should we accept for Mac Jones? DE? 1st round pick only?

If they want Mac Jones, I'd do it for Kayvon Thibodeaux straight up.

Nah
Originally posted by SB49er4life:
I'm an optimist, but there is literaly 0 excuse for West and Collins performance this year. There is no scheme that allows or gives leighway to your DT's getting stood up and blown off the line of scrimmage 3-4 yards down the field. We better hope CJ West is just out of shape and needs to get his wind back, because the only other possibilites are that he just f**ked off his entire off season and didn't work out and lost power or he just has terrible technique and keeps getting stood up.

I was optimistic about both these players and I'll still hold out hope for West to turn it around, I just don't know how realistic that is at all, let alone for it to happen this year. A torn pataller tendon on a 6'6, 330 lb man might unfortunately be a career ender.

Yeah scheme ain't the issue for Collins, dude has poor technique and pad level….doesn't matter what scheme you're in when those are your problems. Guy was getting moved around like a rag doll.

Not sure what West's issues are. He should have the leverage and quickness to make it work. I have more faith in him getting it figured out than Collins.

Getting Williams back will be huge for the run D
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Yeah scheme ain't the issue for Collins, dude has poor technique and pad level….doesn't matter what scheme you're in when those are your problems. Guy was getting moved around like a rag doll.

Not sure what West's issues are. He should have the leverage and quickness to make it work. I have more faith in him getting it figured out than Collins.

Getting Williams back will be huge for the run D

No doubt getting Mykel back will be huge in shutting down the run to that side, I just don't know how much that's gonna do to help with the gaping holes up the middle. CJ West is getting absolutely obliterated off the ball, I consistently see him 4+ yds off the LOS.

I'm trying to explore all the possibilities in my mind of wtf could be going on with CJ West, and nothing seems to make sense other than he just completely f**ked off his off-season. He is just straight up lacking exlosion and power that he showed last year.
Originally posted by SB49er4life:
No doubt getting Mykel back will be huge in shutting down the run to that side, I just don't know how much that's gonna do to help with the gaping holes up the middle. CJ West is getting absolutely obliterated off the ball, I consistently see him 4+ yds off the LOS.

I'm trying to explore all the possibilities in my mind of wtf could be going on with CJ West, and nothing seems to make sense other than he just completely f**ked off his off-season. He is just straight up lacking exlosion and power that he showed last year.

Could be banged up and we don't know it.

They need another DT and DE regardless, not sure who's out there. They need another WR as well
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by SB49er4life:
No doubt getting Mykel back will be huge in shutting down the run to that side, I just don't know how much that's gonna do to help with the gaping holes up the middle. CJ West is getting absolutely obliterated off the ball, I consistently see him 4+ yds off the LOS.

I'm trying to explore all the possibilities in my mind of wtf could be going on with CJ West, and nothing seems to make sense other than he just completely f**ked off his off-season. He is just straight up lacking exlosion and power that he showed last year.

Could be banged up and we don't know it.

They need another DT and DE regardless, not sure who's out there. They need another WR as well

We always need something. Funny before the season started D line was expected to be much better and the WR group looked like the best since Kyle has been here. Then the injuries started and now both areas are in need of help.
Nobody is trading an edge rusher or good player for Mac Jones. Just doesn't make sense at all. A team trading for Jones is trying to salvage their 2026 season and compete immediately.

If Mac gets traded, it's for draft capital. Now we could take that draft capital and flip it for something else from another team, but in terms of Mac, the trade would simply be him for pick(s).
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
Originally posted by braap49er:

What should we accept for Mac Jones? DE? 1st round pick only?

I'd rather keep Mac unless it's a crazy haul which seems unlikely. The Giants are not a Mac Jones away from being contenders, so I don't see why they'd give up anything significant for 1 season of Mac Jones.

Ya these trade scenarios we trying out there crazy.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by SB49er4life:
No doubt getting Mykel back will be huge in shutting down the run to that side, I just don't know how much that's gonna do to help with the gaping holes up the middle. CJ West is getting absolutely obliterated off the ball, I consistently see him 4+ yds off the LOS.

I'm trying to explore all the possibilities in my mind of wtf could be going on with CJ West, and nothing seems to make sense other than he just completely f**ked off his off-season. He is just straight up lacking exlosion and power that he showed last year.

Could be banged up and we don't know it.

They need another DT and DE regardless, not sure who's out there. They need another WR as well

If the Colts are 3-6 or worse at the deadline, Buckner might be available on an expiring contract. Not sure if he's redundant to Osa though.
We are not trading our backup QB to a team in our own conference we're due to play in a few weeks. That's simply idiotic.

Despite the hyperventilating over the last couple of weeks' injuries, we're still due to get people back by the time we're getting to the tough stretch of the schedule. Not to mention that compared to other teams our main losses are less grave. I have great hopes for Stribling, but he remains a rookie. Ditto Thompson. Who knows what they can do in real games? Half of the webzone wanted Collins released in TC. Robinson is a very good member of the receiver corps, but let's not go nuts like we just lost Jerry Rice to injury.

Every season is a marathon and a war of attrition. All teams lose players along the way. It's true that with the age of the squad we have a higher risk - but we just saw that it was the rookies and a 2nd year player that are three of the four major injuries so far. Oh, and Tonges, that sucked but it was also partly his fault. Anyway, we are not pulling some crazy trade just so that we can say we did something. And we're keeping our backup QB because we know from experience how these things can turn out - not just last year, but 2022 above all. I bet there were people demanding to trade Purdy for depth at safety or something when Lance got injured - after all, we still had Jimmy.
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone