John Lynch - 49ers GM

Shop Find 49ers gear online
[ Edited by GoreGoreGore on Apr 27, 2024 at 11:58 PM ]
Originally posted by Dirtydonedirtcheap69:
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
Originally posted by miked1978:
Originally posted by Bullrush42:
Shocking draft to me and not in a good way. Not surprising as the guy making the picks is also the one who thought Trey Lance was not only a good qb but worth trading the immediate future of the team for.
A move that cost this franchise at least 1 Super Bowl.

You can't fix stupid

So we got an lol and a you can't fix stupid. Either of you care to elaborate or would you rather just talk s**t?

We signed Collins for that exact reason. We also have Davis. We also drafted a 6'3 350 lb NT.

Look s**t up instead of talking dumb

A. Zero idea wtf you're talking about
B. Mods, how would you respond to this?

Well, to start with is the comment of the guy who states categorically that trading up and drafting Lance cost the team at least 1 Super Bowl. Don't know how he concludes that. The other QB's who we could have drafted that year have all busted. Who would have been heaving the rock to power us to multiple SB's? No idea. Had he included the word "maybe" in the sentence it would have appeared a little more dogmatic and somewhat less challenging.

So several posters responded. Then another poster commented as to how the team had addressed the issues and suggested that you could have done the research yourself.

Not sure why you don't know what he is talking about. I haven't gone back into the thread but it is perfectly obvious to me. How do I respond as a mod? Well, there is something of an unspoken agreement that at the most emotional times, game day, drafts etc, we tend to be a trifle more patient and understanding with posters. Up to a point, anyway. I might have gently asked them to be a trifle kinder to other posters.

On the subject, some posters appear out of nowhere and flame the team, the coaches, the draft, the zone and even other posters on occasions. Then they get all upset when others react. We try to accommodate different views here but this place remains a place for 49ers fans to talk. If you walk into a bar and start sounding off at the locals, chances are people will react. It would be sensible if you are an utterly negative minded supporter of the team to let people get to know you before bringing your tidal wave of misery here.
Well said pom
The crying after a solid draft.
I am really happy about the last 2 drafts....

We have added some hard nose, mentally tough guys...and we have added much needed speed.

The only down side, is I fully expected a Trent replacement.... I guess values did not add up, or they dont expect Trent to hang it up as soon as I do.....

or hell...

Maybe they throw top dollar at a tackle in free agency when the time comes....I dunno...but I sure would like to see a LT contingency plan.
The 49ers have a blind spot on players who "do it all".

tough-nosed
block and catch
tackling a must

im not necessarily against that. But I know they would have skipped over Deion Sanders, saying that the CB doest support the run enough.

there's more than one way to draft successful NFL players. I thought Adam Peters and company were a good FOIL for Shanahan and lynch. Let's see if our current FO operates like that. Someone needs to push back on Shanny. He did get his 4th around RB let's hope that guy doesn't flame out.

No DTs or DEs was a major upset. I guess they like the guys they signed.

the ravens are either lucky or extremely well run. They always sit there, don't jump around, and take the obvious perfect fit player. Wish we were like them.
Originally posted by bewdynewk:
Well said pom

lol! G'day Bruce. Let's get the beers in. Glad you guys are still with us.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by bewdynewk:
Well said pom

lol! G'day Bruce. Let's get the beers in. Glad you guys are still with us.

This girlfriend of mine is in London rn and shes already hammered today. Al though she's 7 hours ahead of me. Lol
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
Originally posted by miked1978:
Originally posted by Bullrush42:
Shocking draft to me and not in a good way. Not surprising as the guy making the picks is also the one who thought Trey Lance was not only a good qb but worth trading the immediate future of the team for.
A move that cost this franchise at least 1 Super Bowl.

You can't fix stupid

So we got an lol and a you can't fix stupid. Either of you care to elaborate or would you rather just talk s**t?

We signed Collins for that exact reason. We also have Davis. We also drafted a 6'3 350 lb NT.

Look s**t up instead of talking dumb

A. Zero idea wtf you're talking about
B. Mods, how would you respond to this?

Well, to start with is the comment of the guy who states categorically that trading up and drafting Lance cost the team at least 1 Super Bowl. Don't know how he concludes that. The other QB's who we could have drafted that year have all busted. Who would have been heaving the rock to power us to multiple SB's? No idea. Had he included the word "maybe" in the sentence it would have appeared a little more dogmatic and somewhat less challenging.

So several posters responded. Then another poster commented as to how the team had addressed the issues and suggested that you could have done the research yourself.

Not sure why you don't know what he is talking about. I haven't gone back into the thread but it is perfectly obvious to me. How do I respond as a mod? Well, there is something of an unspoken agreement that at the most emotional times, game day, drafts etc, we tend to be a trifle more patient and understanding with posters. Up to a point, anyway. I might have gently asked them to be a trifle kinder to other posters.

On the subject, some posters appear out of nowhere and flame the team, the coaches, the draft, the zone and even other posters on occasions. Then they get all upset when others react. We try to accommodate different views here but this place remains a place for 49ers fans to talk. If you walk into a bar and start sounding off at the locals, chances are people will react. It would be sensible if you are an utterly negative minded supporter of the team to let people get to know you before bringing your tidal wave of misery here.

What you said is a great way to look at posting, thanks.

The problems IMO are when someone has a issue with what the team prioritizes which in turn causes the team to not bring number 6 home. The posters (Homer's) attack critical thinking, a problem not just limited to the zone. I am one of the "negative posters", when over and over again the team fails in the off-season to address what a lot of us perceive the biggest weaknesses of the team. Some of us have been spoiled from the old days and it's frustrating to watch this group of players not have the organization trying to fix it. We are so close yet so far after this off-season. Just to give you perspective on what some of us think. NC and others are constantly attacked for pointing out how important the oline is. Its like I want to have another forum for folks who can critically think about this team.

This was our last year wth this group of players to win it all and the FO failed to address one of the areas of huge need. Yes it would have cost us alot of capital to move up to get one of the top tackles but this year was the year to over pay for it. It's my opinion and shared by alot of people who love this team.
Originally posted by bassmanr:

The problems IMO are when someone has a issue with what the team prioritizes which in turn causes the team to not bring number 6 home. The posters (Homer's) attack critical thinking, a problem not just limited to the zone. I am one of the "negative posters", when over and over again the team fails in the off-season to address what a lot of us perceive the biggest weaknesses of the team. Some of us have been spoiled from the old days and it's frustrating to watch this group of players not have the organization trying to fix it. We are so close yet so far after this off-season. Just to give you perspective on what some of us think. NC and others are constantly attacked for pointing out how important the oline is. Its like I want to have another forum for folks who can critically think about this team.

This was our last year wth this group of players to win it all and the FO failed to address one of the areas of huge need. Yes it would have cost us alot of capital to move up to get one of the top tackles but this year was the year to over pay for it. It's my opinion and shared by alot of people who love this team.

NC is constantly attacked because he keeps changing the goalposts on what a top OL is. Reality is the Chiefs just won a SB with terrible tackles.

I won't say whether this draft was good or bad until 2026. By then I'll have a chance to see if any of these players become starters or contributors. I know some fans are disappointed that they didn't get a top tackle. I'm sure they tried moving up but teams were reluctant to make trades that might cost them a guy they wanted. The Niners were set to take Rosengarten but the Ravens grabbed him one pick ahead of them. The draft often comes down to luck. Not just about who you pick but who gets taken before your pick. You have no control over that.
Originally posted by bassmanr:

Ok. One point. You say they failed to address one of the areas of huge need. One of. To trade up to pick one of the top tackles would have taken Aiyuk. Or, depending on which value table you use, every pick we had. Yes I would have loved one of the top tackles but it wasn't to be. And since Reggie McGrew I don't approve of covering a need regardless of the player's actual abilities. I like this draft because, as I see it, they covered a whole lot of need with mature and responsible guys, including team captains etc. And without an injury record. But even with all this there is no guarantee that they will transform into NFL players.

Bear in mind also that it is Lynch's stated intention to continue to evolve the team so that it stays competitive. Not like the Rams for instance. So yes, next year some players will go, one way or another. But that isn't the end of the world. It may be the last year to go all the way with this group of players but not the last year for the team.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
NC is constantly attacked because he keeps changing the goalposts on what a top OL is. Reality is the Chiefs just won a SB with terrible tackles.

Having good tackles matters but with so many awesome DTs in todays game - you need a stud interior too. Especially in our scheme. I'm really hoping puni works out and the UDFA we signed does.
Ok. One point. You say they failed to address one of the areas of huge need. One of. To trade up to pick one of the top tackles would have taken Aiyuk. Or, depending on which value table you use, every pick we had. Yes I would have loved one of the top tackles but it wasn't to be. And since Reggie McGrew I don't approve of covering a need regardless of the player's actual abilities. I like this draft because, as I see it, they covered a whole lot of need with mature and responsible guys, including team captains etc. And without an injury record. But even with all this there is no guarantee that they will transform into NFL players.

Bear in mind also that it is Lynch's stated intention to continue to evolve the team so that it stays competitive. Not like the Rams for instance. So yes, next year some players will go, one way or another. But that isn't the end of the world. It may be the last year to go all the way with this group of players but not the last year for the team.

If Brock takes the next step the window is a decade +
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

If Brock takes the next step the window is a decade +

Share 49ersWebzone