There are 263 users in the forums

Question Niner Fans

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Eastcoast49er:
Are we really as bad as everyone says we are(TV Media). They pretty much say our roster is trash. I remember us leading/being in some game this year and the falling off in second half. Seems like some of that was coaching, as I think our DC sucked really bad. So could a good coach, FA and draft make us respectable or a playoff team?

Respectable? Yes
Playoffs? Need time

On paper, there is some talent, but there's been multiple years of arrested development.
Maybe some of these guys can finally find their place with a new system and coaching.
Either way, there's work to be done.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by D0PEMAN:
We are who we thought we were!!!!!

Originally posted by ChazBoner:

I want to know what movie is that.
Originally posted by NCommand:
It's hard to say...most injured team since 2013 and according to Better Rivals, second youngest team in the NFL.

Throw in crappy coaching and scheme and you have a 2-win team.

My 'guess' is that there is some legit talent on this team...lots of quality starters...but it's missing the impact players (and health) for each unit in QB, NT, OLB & P/KR. WR is not always needed to win a Superbowl but we sure could use a big bodied impact player at the Z!

And above that, it's missing a pro scheme and quality coaches who can develop players within it.

We are that bad. Even bad teams have some talent. We are down there with the worst.
Originally posted by Blindfury:
Originally posted by NCommand:
It's hard to say...most injured team since 2013 and according to Better Rivals, second youngest team in the NFL.

Throw in crappy coaching and scheme and you have a 2-win team.

My 'guess' is that there is some legit talent on this team...lots of quality starters...but it's missing the impact players (and health) for each unit in QB, NT, OLB & P/KR. WR is not always needed to win a Superbowl but we sure could use a big bodied impact player at the Z!

And above that, it's missing a pro scheme and quality coaches who can develop players within it.

We are that bad. Even bad teams have some talent. We are down there with the worst.

"I" can't make that determination yet...too early, too young, constant changes in coaches/playbooks, very low snap counts d/t injuries, etc. You can though. Quality coaching and scheme should go a LONG way next year. By game 11-12 we should have a better idea where the talent is...and where it's not.

It's no surprise Buckner is getting so much love...he already has over 1,000 snaps in his first year and as a result, was able to grow and develop while playing and his talent allowed him to start flourishing. Had we gone the Armstead route last year where he only had 375 total snaps, everyone would be labeling Buckner a "bust."

Until I see these kids get on the field and STAY on the field in a professional system with quality coaching and development, I won't make any claims one way or the other.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jan 18, 2017 at 9:02 AM ]
Originally posted by English:
Respectable, yes. Playoffs probably take a little longer. We carried a serious injury list last year which impacted.

Agree

Not as bad as many say and no where near as good as the Homers say.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Baalke invested in too many projects, injured guys and mental cases while letting talent we already had inexplicably walk.

Agree
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
we dont have enough blue chip players. Baalke focused on depth and ignored positions of need.

Next year we can look at having 5 blue chip players: Buckner, Brown, Staley, Ward, Bowman, Robinson. If we can add a Garrett and a blue chip player through FA like Jeffrey, Zeitler, Brandon Williams...then we could be on the way to exceeding expectations.

Yeah

Add to that a quality coaching staff and WCO and we're ready to compete.

2 years to the playoffs

and then .....
Originally posted by SFTifoso:

"Planet of the Apes" the original

Originally posted by SFTifoso:

I think it's from "Planet of the Apes"
Didn't our home defense rank near the top in the NFL the previous season but struggled in away games?
I think defensively coaching and injuries made us look a lot worse than we should have.
Offensively we were as bad as they say.
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
(How long till niners compete for super bowl) x (How many players currently on the roster will play in that super bowl) = how badly the roster sucks

everyone likes analytics

Average players last 3 years. We will not be a super bowl team that quickly. So NIL.
We didn't have the talent on offense to stay competitive , we didn't play at a frantic place as advertised ,We played at an average speed with a scheme regarded as "exotic" that relied on a breakneck speed pace that would eventually wear out the opposing defense, we didn't spend the money for legit weapons that fit this supposed exotic offense, they pinned their hopes on an offensive scheme we never got to use.

the injuries on defense KILLED us, we were weak up the middle in the worst way, once Bowman went down the ship sank quickly, we needed a bonafide NT to anchor our 3-4 defense, we failed to add talent in this area, and also did not make any moves to improve our pass rush with the plethora of cash we had at our disposal, it was a disaster and fairly obvious that our front office could not recognize those glaring needs , the result .. 2- 14

but we DO have building blocks for a competitive season , Trenton Brown, Joshua Garnett, Joe Staley, Carlos Hyde, Kaep, Torrey Smith (if he can stay healthy) Vance McDonald ( yes the guy can make plays, a 75 yard TD ain't nothing to sneeze at) ..on defense we have Buckner, Ward, Robinson, Armstead, Lynch, Reid and the legendary Navarro Bowman ......we could put a decent team on the field in 2017 , it's not like we have holes everywhere on the roster , yes we need talent in a big way, but with some patchwork, things could turn around quickly ......
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
#Worst2first #BookIt

Share 49ersWebzone