There are 224 users in the forums

SAN FRANCISCO 49ers at LA RAMS - Week 16 2016

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by 49erphan:
I have concerns about Kap's consistency if you look at his performance over the 10 games he's played. His performance last night, though, was not one where inconsistency was a big issue. I know that one particular stat alone doesn't tell the whole story but I just don't see how a QB completing 74% of his passes in a game can be said to have had a big problem with inconsistency in that game where he threw 38 passes. There were passes that looked pretty funky and I have the definite impression that he relies far too much on throwing bullets (and he seems to be struggling some with accuracy on deeper passes), but a QB that is significantly struggling with consistency in one game just isn't going to have 3/4s of his passes as completions in that game. Like I said, I do have concerns about Kap's consistency when I think back over all the games he has played this season, but I don't think this was a game where that was particularly a problem.

My issue with him is his inability to grow and develop. Ever.
  • He STILL continues to overthrow Kerley who is a shorter receiver but it's been 10 games now (should NOT be an issue)
  • He still can't throw with anticipation and when he does, he does it into double coverage for an INT
  • Still mostly a one-read-and-run QB
  • Still throws WAY too hard on short passes
  • Still throws a hard-to-catch ball d/t poor and streaky accuracy, spin, ball placement (not leading the player to the max RAC or into decapitations), etc.
  • Still is responsible for probably 50%-75% of the OL's "sacks"
  • Still much more effective as a runner and ab-lib QB vs. pocket passer and playing within the play designs
  • Still forces balls into obvious tight coverage (esp. to Celek)

He just seems allergic to growth/development.

He is what he is. The ceiling was reached long ago. He, at best, is a bridge-QB who mostly 'seems' to be going through the motions and certainly, not a QB who's driven to get to that next level. He's lived on athletic ability and God-given advantages but doesn't have the drive or mental acumen to ever fully reach his full potential.

I agree with a lot of your points. Although yesterday he only ran when he was absolutely forced to. And PFF pointed out that the Rams DLine DOMINATED out OLine yesterday. And when you say mental acumen, I cant help but think you're calling him dumb. He is not a dumb guy. However, he has not gotten much better because I think he works on strenthing his strenths (arm strength, speed, etc).

Chip's inside run calls were drive killers, but when he opened it up, the offense flourished. We know Colin can make plays but his inconsistency bothers me. Chip has to add some different things to the offense (I formations, Single back undercenter) to mix it up. Every time he calls a pistol formation its a run. 100% of the time. He needs to be more creative and adjust. Thats a major reason we get exploited in so many 2nd halves of games.
Originally posted by 49ersfansince90:
I have concerns about Kap's consistency if you look at his performance over the 10 games he's played. His performance last night, though, was not one where inconsistency was a big issue. I know that one particular stat alone doesn't tell the whole story but I just don't see how a QB completing 74% of his passes in a game can be said to have had a big problem with inconsistency in that game where he threw 38 passes. There were passes that looked pretty funky and I have the definite impression that he relies far too much on throwing bullets (and he seems to be struggling some with accuracy on deeper passes), but a QB that is significantly struggling with consistency in one game just isn't going to have 3/4s of his passes as completions in that game. Like I said, I do have concerns about Kap's consistency when I think back over all the games he has played this season, but I don't think this was a game where that was particularly a problem.

• He STILL continues to overthrow Kerley who is a shorter receiver but it's been 10 games now (should NOT be an issue)
  • He still can't throw with anticipation and when he does, he does it into double coverage for an INT
  • Still throws a hard-to-catch ball d/t poor and streaky accuracy, spin, ball placement (not leading the player to the max RAC or into decapitations), etc.
  • Still much more effective as a runner and ab-lib QB vs. pocket passer and playing within the play designs

He is what he is. The ceiling was reached long ago. He, at best, is a bridge-QB who mostly 'seems' to be going through the motions and certainly, not a QB who's driven to get to that next level. He's lived on athletic ability and God-given advantages but doesn't have the drive or mental acumen to ever fully reach his full potential.

I agree with a lot of your points. Although yesterday he only ran when he was absolutely forced to. And PFF pointed out that the Rams DLine DOMINATED out OLine yesterday. And when you say mental acumen, I cant help but think you're calling him dumb. He is not a dumb guy. However, he has not gotten much better because I think he works on strenthing his strenths (arm strength, speed, etc).

Chip's inside run calls were drive killers, but when he opened it up, the offense flourished. We know Colin can make plays but his inconsistency bothers me. Chip has to add some different things to the offense (I formations, Single back undercenter) to mix it up. Every time he calls a pistol formation its a run. 100% of the time. He needs to be more creative and adjust. Thats a major reason we get exploited in so many 2nd halves of games.

Don't get me wrong...I'm not talking about Kelly's sequence of plays, lack of creativity, drive killing penalties or key drops, etc. Just his play alone over his career and clear issues and ceiling. No, his mental acumen with regards to being a field general and the ability to process and execute optimal production...not I.Q.

LIke I said, I was focused on just whether or not he was particularly inconsistent in this game. Initially I thought he was but I think I just recalled his misses more than that he was still completing a pretty high percent of his passes.

With a couple of exceptions I agree that those are his biggest limitations. You can find instances where he executes just about any play you could ask a quarterback to do but those good plays are far outweighed by bad execution too much of the time on similar types of plays. I still think it is still possible that he may develop significantly more, but as more games go by it's looking less likely rather than more likely. I think that he is at least a very good backup quarterback and could be a reasonably good bridge quarterback for some team. Whether or not the 9ers are one of those teams is an open question to me. I'd like to see that the team has a better alternative fairly solidly lined up before letting Kap go, though. It may be a moot point because he may decide that he likes his prospects better somewhere else.
LIke I said, I was focused on just whether or not he was particularly inconsistent in this game. Initially I thought he was but I think I just recalled his misses more than that he was still completing a pretty high percent of his passes.

With a couple of exceptions I agree that those are his biggest limitations. You can find instances where he executes just about any play you could ask a quarterback to do but those good plays are far outweighed by bad execution too much of the time on similar types of plays. I still think it is still possible that he may develop significantly more, but as more games go by it's looking less likely rather than more likely. I think that he is at least a very good backup quarterback and could be a reasonably good bridge quarterback for some team. Whether or not the 9ers are one of those teams is an open question to me. I'd like to see that the team has a better alternative fairly solidly lined up before letting Kap go, though. It may be a moot point because he may decide that he likes his prospects better somewhere else.

Agreed. His projections before the Rams game. While the numbers below don't look too bad overall, it's the spotty, jerky and inconsistent play that hurts any offensive flow and rhythm and growth. So overall, I agree...good backup, solid bridge-QB.

--- *Colin Kaepernick is currently on pace to throw for 3,512 passing yards, 26 TD's & 6 INT's over a 16-game span under Kelly's system. That's well below in yards but close in TD's to his counterparts in Philly. He's currently on pace to have a 55% completion percentage with an 87 QBR. He's also on pace to take 44 sacks. (8 games). Note his numbers are looking normal now compared to his career numbers with a larger sample size of games. 2 more games should solidify these projections.

*The Chicago game was such an outlier (4 yards passing), I did not include it in his on-pace projections as it wouldn't be fair to him and especially the skill positions reliant on Kaepernick passing them the ball. That game was thrown out for all. Carlos Hyde was the only player included for that game as his numbers were similar to his usual/normal production.

• He STILL continues to overthrow Kerley wHe still can't throw with ho is a shorter receiver but it's been 10 games now (should NOT be an issue)

the bold is just something most of yall have believed for a long time and have just stuck with... so even when he shows that he doesn't do those things... yall ignore it or overlook it.

In the Rams game yesterday, he showed most of the stuff you said he doesn't do. Not saying he had a perfect game....but 99% of QBs don't have a perfect game.

it's whatever though... yall have made up yall mind along time ago.
So we win a meaningless game and Hyde blows his MCL...sounds about right for this season.
Watch this win be the excuse Jed needs to keep the whole FO and coaching staff. I hope everybody that said winning this game was important, is happy if we stay status quo.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Watch this win be the excuse Jed needs to keep the whole FO and coaching staff. I hope everybody that said winning this game was important, is happy if we stay status quo.
this win, No. Next weeks,....probably
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Dec 25, 2016 at 10:02 PM ]
Originally posted by Afrikan:

• He STILL continues to overthrow Kerley wHe still can't throw with ho is a shorter receiver but it's been 10 games now (should NOT be an issue)

the bold is just something most of yall have believed for a long time and have just stuck with... so even when he shows that he doesn't do those things... yall ignore it or overlook it.

In the Rams game yesterday, he showed most of the stuff you said he doesn't do. Not saying he had a perfect game....but 99% of QBs don't have a perfect game.

You got examples of him doing these things this game? This was a career ceiling post highlighting recent examples.

Decent backup/bridge QB if he still wants to be here. But the offense will never consistently hum under his leadership. He's tapped out.
Originally posted by ltrain:
So we win a meaningless game and Hyde blows his MCL...sounds about right for this season.

yeah for real, this season has blown...

• jcs
  • Veteran

I agree with everything but the bolded. Backup qbs need the mentality to be a Backup qbs I doubt he'll be that player because I think he will always see himself as a starter. Backup bridge qbs should also be more teacher and less of a distraction than he will ever be as well as be content knowing he is preparing his replacement.
Originally posted by jcs:
I agree with everything but the bolded. Backup qbs need the mentality to be a Backup qbs I doubt he'll be that player because I think he will always see himself as a starter. Backup bridge qbs should also be more teacher and less of a distraction than he will ever be as well as be content knowing he is preparing his replacement.

Valid point. He'd probably just retire before being a good soldier the way Alex was for him.

Valid point. He'd probably just retire before being a good soldier the way Alex was for him.

I can't read what jcs said, but there you go questioning Kaepernick's character and as a teammate again....WHEN HE JUST f**kING SHOWED WHAT TYPE OF TEAMMATE HE WAS WITH BLAINE STARTING OVER HIM!!!!

f**k yall negative s**t...anything regarding Kaepernick...it's negative, when he's shown the opposite. Never thrown teammates or coaches under the bus....

where as Blaine Gabbert has, but of course that is ignored. And I'm sure you'll ask me when...and again I'll have to prove something I've proved before. But just shows yall don't follow this team as much as you make seem...but still choose to personally attack the character of Kaepernick..when he has shown the direct opposite.

You got examples of him doing these things this game? This was a career ceiling post highlighting recent examples.

Decent backup/bridge QB if he still wants to be here. But the offense will never consistently hum under his leadership. He's tapped out.

Why should I have to point it out for you??? you have eyes!

Watch the game again then...

but here 4th down conversion along the sideline.

soft pass to RB less than 5 yards from him, over the middle for good gain.

whatever man wasting my time.

I can't read what jcs said, but there you go questioning Kaepernick's character and as a teammate again....WHEN HE JUST f**kING SHOWED WHAT TYPE OF TEAMMATE HE WAS WITH BLAINE STARTING OVER HIM!!!!

f**k yall negative s**t...anything regarding Kaepernick...it's negative, when he's shown the opposite. Never thrown teammates or coaches under the bus....

where as Blaine Gabbert has, but of course that is ignored. And I'm sure you'll ask me when...and again I'll have to prove something I've proved before. But just shows yall don't follow this team as much as you make seem...but still choose to personally attack the character of Kaepernick..when he has shown the direct opposite.

Sorry dude. Everyone could see Kelly loved Kaepernick and more than likely, it was just a matter of time once he got healthy, that he'd start. Fortunately for him, Gabbert expedited that process.

that said, we're talking about his future. Do YOU think next year he'd be fine sitting on the sidelines helping to raise a QB?

He's massively rich fir life, has a life, has things and causes important to him to support, is 30 and healthy, has a great family, etc.

What would his motivation be to stay? It certainly wouldn't be for backup money? Right?

Pointing out Kaepernick's strengths and weaknesses, his future, his career is no need to feel the desire to rush to your keyboard to support him. Kaepernick could care less what people think about these topics...but here in NT, we do because we'll be here LONG after he's gone.
Share 49ersWebzone