There are 73 users in the forums

Coach spending

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Will Jed finally learn that you get what you pay for with coaching? They tried to nickel and dime withe second rate replacement coaches of the Harbaugh regime which resulted in a situation that no promising coach wants any part of. The Jim Leavitt as LB coach was an example of how great the staff was during the new stadium.....I mean SB run. Could we see a knee jerk reaction to bring in a better staff once a new GM is in place? Rex Ryan might be available for DC. But it's hard to make chicken salad from chicken Sh#! as they say.

Of course like Steve Young said, none of this matters if the ownership remains in the same rut. Jed should go talk with the Rooneys.
The team haven't shown any signs of being tight with coaching staff.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I think they should stick with Chip and just let him bring in the players that best fits his scheme.
Pretty sure jed paid top dollar for all of harbs coaching staff and we are currently paying for two HCs.

I think chip is a top 5 paid head coaching as well. Jed isn't cheap when it comes to coaching staff we are just bringing in the wrong staff IMO.
Originally posted by mayo49:
I think they should stick with Chip and just let him bring in the players that best fits his scheme.

Like chip don't think he's the answer for a NFL coach, there's no balance and the defense is suffering because of it.
Yeah, not paying enough for coaches hasn't been one of York's miscues. With respect to coaches, York really blew it with the way he handled Harbaugh in 2014. After the 2013 season, evidently York had major issues with Harbaugh. At that point he should have either put on his man pants and just fired Harbaugh - as hard as that would have been at that point - or sucked it up and shown nothing but full support for Harbaugh in 2014. Instead he undermined Harbaugh behind the scenes. Then he screwed up even more by elevating Tomsula to head coach the next year. His primary problem with coaches has been his gutlessness and pettiness. He might have grown up some and learned some from those humongous mistakes, but it's probably too little, too late.
[ Edited by 49erphan on Dec 18, 2016 at 7:01 AM ]
There's a report this morning that the Saints are putting Sean Payton up for trade. It would be a dream to trade Trent and Chip for him. We had a chance to get him last year, but the discussions were silenced because we really were too cheap to sign him. Knowing us and our recent record, if we did trade for him we would do a Gruden type trade and lose 1st round picks that we can't afford to lose.
Rex Ryan and Chip Kelly on the same sideline ... how long before one of Chip's 3 and outs gets him a punch from Ryan
Originally posted by mitpdub:
There's a report this morning that the Saints are putting Sean Payton up for trade. It would be a dream to trade Trent and Chip for him. We had a chance to get him last year, but the discussions were silenced because we really were too cheap to sign him. Knowing us and our recent record, if we did trade for him we would do a Gruden type trade and lose 1st round picks that we can't afford to lose.

Do you have a link to a reliable source for the bolded claim above? I Googled for information on this and I didn't find any that said that the reason Payton didn't sign with the 9ers is because of not getting offered enough money and/or enough in trade.
[ Edited by 49erphan on Dec 18, 2016 at 8:32 AM ]
What you mean? Tomsula, geep, mangini, that radio host,Jim O'Neil and Modkins were high priced mega hirings.

Originally posted by NYniner85:
Pretty sure jed paid top dollar for all of harbs coaching staff and we are currently paying for two HCs.

I think chip is a top 5 paid head coaching as well. Jed isn't cheap when it comes to coaching staff we are just bringing in the wrong staff IMO.

...even hired a secret consultant for Roman's fat ass. Enormous coaching staff. Offered Harbaugh a contract then sweetened the deal. The difference between the lowest paid HC and the top is what, $5M? Nothing for owners, really.
The trouble with the Yorks is that they think they know more than anyone they hire.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by mayo49:

Like chip don't think he's the answer for a NFL coach, there's no balance and the defense is suffering because of it.

This
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
Rex Ryan and Chip Kelly on the same sideline ... how long before one of Chip's 3 and outs gets him a punch from Ryan

After one glimpse at Chip barefooted, Rex would go into a frenzy
I want Chip gone. You pay for mistakes. Chip and Tmsula were both mistakes the Yorks get to pay for.
Share 49ersWebzone