LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 280 users in the forums

49ers Week 14 2016 - Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • dj43
Originally posted by elguapo:
I am very impressed with the first half of almost every game except Seattle this year. We were killing the cowboys too!! People need to realize this and see the niners have the potential to be a really good playoff team. Need to be better at the qb position in the second half and coaching as well.
Maybe some better players but we are extremely competitive the way we are which is kinda weird.

It wouldn't hurt to be healthy bc if bowman was in we would of won at least 3 more games maybe 4. So thank you for the injuries besides bowman (Ian Williams and ray ray along with others) bc now we get a top 3 pick. I'm just worried the browns take Garrett at 1 and a qb at around 10 and we are stuck reaching for a qb at 2. Such an unlucky team.

Kap needs to go
Need an upgrade at C
Need to spend in free agency bc would of loved for the cap to go up a lot back a few years ago so we could of possibly kept players like delanie Walker iupati maybe Crabtree and so on. Oh well. Now we need to upgrade and overspend like the NYG did on defense.
The Browns are really in a great position. They get the best player in the draft (Garrett) and a quarterback that could turn out to be pretty good without having to reach too high.
Originally posted by RTFirefly:
Great observation about the close games.
We have to stop the run. 7 (?) straight backs with 100 yds.
Stop the run. Then worry about 2018.

So true. After we get our run defenders back then our secondary will most likely improve. Especially with lynch back and Buckner and hopefully AA.
I am very impressed with the first half of almost every game except Seattle this year. We were killing the cowboys too!! People need to realize this and see the niners have the potential to be a really good playoff team. Need to be better at the qb position in the second half and coaching as well.
Maybe some better players but we are extremely competitive the way we are which is kinda weird.

It wouldn't hurt to be healthy bc if bowman was in we would of won at least 3 more games maybe 4. So thank you for the injuries besides bowman (Ian Williams and ray ray along with others) bc now we get a top 3 pick. I'm just worried the browns take Garrett at 1 and a qb at around 10 and we are stuck reaching for a qb at 2. Such an unlucky team.

Kap needs to go
Need an upgrade at C
Need to spend in free agency bc would of loved for the cap to go up a lot back a few years ago so we could of possibly kept players like delanie Walker iupati maybe Crabtree and so on. Oh well. Now we need to upgrade and overspend like the NYG did on defense.

Since Dorsey + Jones have started the past three games, naturally, Buckner is playing far better and our run defense is playing top 10 even WITH Bellore and Wilhoite shooting through the wrong gaps 50% of the time. O'Neil's scheme still blows but that's a pretty good indicator talent alone, can make up for a lot of that.

So true. After we get our run defenders back then our secondary will most likely improve. Especially with lynch back and Buckner and hopefully AA.

Ok, so here is my question. We all talk about "when so and so" gets back:

After sifting thru the All ACL teams, and looking at all guys on IR, or out for extended time, it seems to me that we all collectively have the injured player a lock to come back in and play extremely well. Problem is we are depending on those guys to return to pre-injury status, when many times that doesn't happen. So, how are we supposed to factor in the many injured DBs, DLs, LBs, WRs, OLs that have been or are out....What appears to be happening, is the coaching staff looks down the bench at those injured and ASSUMES that all those guys are coming back the way they were beforehand.....and that just doesn't happen. So when someone makes a comment re: our team and we include all wiht injury, I don't see why we just automatically assume they will restart as good as they were when injured.

Bottom line is this: wiht 50 guys on IR since 36 mos ago, how do we know what we really have on the team. My answer would be that we have no way of knowing...and this then screws up our assessment of what we really need in FA but draft, especially. Any thots on how we truly assess what we actually need, with the incredible # of guys out injured, or coming back from injury, or waiting to go on IR??

When rebuilding a team, you have to know what you actually have, and it seems to me, we haven't known that in a very long time. Therefore it is pretty hard to build on something where no one knows for sure what we do hav
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Dec 14, 2016 at 8:26 AM ]
Originally posted by billbird2111:
The Browns won't win a game because they got lucky and didn't get to play the 49ers this year.

They would have named it "The Toilet Bowl"
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:

After sifting thru the All ACL teams, and looking at all guys on IR, or out for extended time, it seems to me that we all collectively have the injured player a lock to come back in and play extremely well. Problem is we are depending on those guys to return to pre-injury status, when many times that doesn't happen. So, how are we supposed to factor in the many injured DBs, DLs, LBs, WRs, OLs that have been or are out....What appears to be happening, is the coaching staff looks down the bench at those injured and ASSUMES that all those guys are coming back the way they were beforehand.....and that just doesn't happen. So when someone makes a comment re: our team and we include all wiht injury, I don't see why we just automatically assume they will restart as good as they were when injured.

Bottom line is this: wiht 50 guys on IR since 36 mos ago, how do we know what we really have on the team. My answer would be that we have no way of knowing...and this then screws up our assessment of what we really need in FA but draft, especially. Any thots on how we truly assess what we actually need, with the incredible # of guys out injured, or coming back from injury, or waiting to go on IR??

When rebuilding a team, you have to know what you actually have, and it seems to me, we haven't known that in a very long time. Therefore it is pretty hard to build on something where no one knows for sure what we do hav

Good post.

Also, who will be doing the rebuilding is crucial.

I don't feel we have a roster "Stocked" w/talent like many do.

We have may just above average players that strike fear into zero teams.

Each of us fans have our own feelings and ideas how to get to Winning Football.

Mine is a sea change.

In the last games we should play every guy who isn't a starter and see how they do.

If they make the grade - keep them if not

Tough call on injured guys - That's for another post.

Your point too about lost players returning to form is great too. Look at Dorsey...took him until game 8 until he was back to "starting" and last game, I saw him limping on that same injured knee (with a brace on). So he's probably 75%. Redmond looked good and then gone. Crabtree, years removed from injury is closer back to 2012 form but may never be that explosive again. Ian Williams was able to play, like Dorsey, and then lost again for a full year. Willis, Bowman, etc. Catastrophic loses and with no guarantee those players will ever be where they once were. Seattle loses ONE guy and their defense falls apart. f**k them!
[ Edited by NCommand on Dec 14, 2016 at 9:42 AM ]
one obvious thought on what i watched these guys most on defense straight up quite. gave up, threw the towel in. now were it was really relevant...over time. wow the fact that my 8 & 10 yr old can call it out says a lot,

I know so many injuries & the dark cloud above this team, but fk show some effort.

Love what i am seeing with Buckner! This kid is going to be a stud, and needs another body right next to him. it's obvious how many holes we have to fill. it will take time boys!
Originally posted by NCommand:

Your point too about lost players returning to form is great too. Look at Dorsey...took him until game 8 until he was back to "starting" and last game, I saw him limping on that same injured knee (with a brace on). So he's probably 75%. Redmond looked good and then gone. Crabtree, years removed from injury is closer back to 2012 form but may never be that explosive again. Ian Williams was able to play, like Dorsey, and then lost again for a full year. Willis, Bowman, etc. Catastrophic loses and with no guarantee those players will ever be where they once were. Seattle loses ONE guy and their defense falls apart. f**k them!

And there it is with the examples you state. You just can't get back injured guys and expect them to be like new...because it just doesn't happen. For 5-6 yrs now we have been going into FA and Draft, with NO IDEA what we got, and instead the F.O is saying well we got ian at NT....well, obviously we didn't, and WORSE...we made NO allowances for him to crap out. NONE. That is just bad, no horrible planning, yet that has been our M. O now for yrs. It has to change or we remain the same yr in and yr out...counting on the IR guys to come thru for us. That is bad thinking.
Opponent Receiver makes a deep catch: always seeing #26 and #41 around.

Originally posted by Marvin49:

4) Draft: Will the damn Browns PLEASE win a game!?!

I know what you mean. Chip's probably sympathetic to the tank, but Hue doesn't even seem to be trying.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Opponent Receiver makes a deep catch: always seeing #26 and #41 around.

Brock is terribad

don`t forget Blair,kid`s going to be an impact player ,there are signs already this year.
Originally posted by NCommand:

And there it is with the examples you state. You just can't get back injured guys and expect them to be like new...because it just doesn't happen. For 5-6 yrs now we have been going into FA and Draft, with NO IDEA what we got, and instead the F.O is saying well we got ian at NT....well, obviously we didn't, and WORSE...we made NO allowances for him to crap out. NONE. That is just bad, no horrible planning, yet that has been our M. O now for yrs. It has to change or we remain the same yr in and yr out...counting on the IR guys to come thru for us. That is bad thinking.

LOL.

Baalke thought, "It's a new year! Let's sign Ian Williams. Top 5 NT. Boom. What? He's out for the year? Crap. OK, well Dorsey should be back so we should be OK. What? He won't start until half way through the season and play at 75% the rest of the way? f**k! OK, fine, we'll start Dial? He's played there before. He's eff'd up too? SOB! How about Purcell? He seems to be coming on, right? Hello...anyone? FUUUUCK! Screw it...throwing in the towel. Just give Seattle Garrison Smith and be done with it. LOL. He's on I.R. there too now? Yup...curse confirmed! f**k my life. Screw you guys...going to Denver!"
  • dj43

Good questions.

There is no easy answer to it. That is why building quality depth via good draft decisions AND QUALITY player development. I have ragged on Harbaugh a lot lately but one of his other flaws was his reluctance to play/develop younger players. In order to have a competitive team year after year, you must constantly be teaching ALL the players on the roster but especially the young ones.

Look at the NE Patriots. Yes, Brady covers up a lot of sins but Belichick and his staff do a great job of playing "next man up." For example, their OL this season is one of the lowest paid in the league yet they are keeping Tommy Terrific's butt clean most of the time. Also, when Jamie Collins decided he didn't want to stick to his assignments he wound up in Cleveland and a rookie is ready to take his place. That takes quality coaching. Keeps the salary cap in line and the franchise just keeps rolling along.

A couple of other examples that come to mind of a coaching staff that knows what they are doing: Tully Banta Cain thought the grass was greener on the other side of the coast so he came here a laid an egg. Belicheck brings him back and he keeps on going like he never left. Ligarette Blount is in his second tour with NE and is leading the league in TDs.

That is what you must compete with if you are going to have a winning franchise. It isn't enough to be better than Arizona or the Rams. Belichick, and other guys like Tomlin, are where the bar has been set. They build athletes into pro football players. Santa Claus doesn't bring All Pros to their tree. It is about coaches and the GM doing their job.
Share 49ersWebzone