LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 251 users in the forums

Speed Kills!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I'm watching guys like Tyreek Hill and Taylor Gabriel gash through defenses with pure speed. I've always been an advocate for size at WR but now my viewpoint is changing. I'm starting to like guys like Dede Westbrook. Who else is there coming out or future free we could target that has that blazing speed that we can see on film. I haven't really seen that out of Torrey Smith
We definitely need more team speed on offense next year for sure
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
gash
Hill and Smith are nothing alike. But we have not had anyone like him any a very long time. Do we even have a good kick returner?

5th round pick. Too bad our front office is terrible at acquiring talent on the offensive side of the ball.
When a guy runs a 4.2 you have to look at him
  • Jasta
  • Veteran
You can't just put an Olympic sprinter out there and expect him to take it to the house every play. You can run posts all day as fast as you like but if that's your only threat they'll just drop the coverage back a bit. You can't beat a safety with speed if he's already where the ball is going to land.

Torrey mightn't have seriously top end speed... but he's not slow. The problem is he's predictable and we're not challenging defenses enough in other areas to give him room to work.
Originally posted by Jasta:
You can't just put an Olympic sprinter out there and expect him to take it to the house every play. You can run posts all day as fast as you like but if that's your only threat they'll just drop the coverage back a bit. You can't beat a safety with speed if he's already where the ball is going to land.

Torrey mightn't have seriously top end speed... but he's not slow. The problem is he's predictable and we're not challenging defenses enough in other areas to give him room to work.

Yes, Torrey is easy to neutralize unless you have a guy like Flacco who will bomb it and hope for a PI. Hill is shifty, can put him in the slot, backfield wherever. Kinda reinds me of Persey Harvin.
These guys also have quickness not just speed. I don't think Torrey is quick
i still like torey, and with the right QB, can be good.
13 tds with flacco. Torrey is sick.

We need both. We have the slot WR already and need to lock him up. We need the tough physical WR at the Z and speed at the Y to compliment both.

Right now, we don't have the big bodied WR with a huge catching radius. And we don't utilize Torrey at all for his skill set. We use Kerley quite a bit though.
With Kap's arm I just can't understand why he doesn't chuck one or two up for Smith every game. Just throw it as far as you can and see if he can get to it.

Even if he doesn't catch it at least it will make the secondary think about the possibility and open up other things.
Originally posted by filthyrich49er:

There were plenty of really fast players in the league that also amounted to nothing...it's awesome to be fast but you got to be a football player too.

Here's a couple of stupid fast WRs (from the top of my head) that amounted to a bunch of nothing

Heyward-Bay-ran a 4.3 but can't run anything but a go route and has hands of stone.
Jacoby Ford-ran a 4.28 but couldn't run a route to save his life
Cordarrelle Patterson-ran a 4.4 at 6-2 220, he had the size and speed to be a WR stud, but never learned how to catch the ball or run routes lol

The key is finding someone that is fast and knows how to play WR...hill IMO get's schemed the ball a lot (Reid is a bad ass coach) same with Gabriel. You want someone with speed and great route running look no further than OBJ (who I wanted so bad smh).

We need speed for sure but we need a QB that can get them the ball as well.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by filthyrich49er:

There were plenty of really fast players in the league that also amounted to nothing...it's awesome to be fast but you got to be a football player too.

Here's a couple of stupid fast WRs (from the top of my head) that amounted to a bunch of nothing

Heyward-Bay-ran a 4.3 but can't run anything but a go route and has hands of stone.
Jacoby Ford-ran a 4.28 but couldn't run a route to save his life
Cordarrelle Patterson-ran a 4.4 at 6-2 220, he had the size and speed to be a WR stud, but never learned how to catch the ball or run routes lol

The key is finding someone that is fast and knows how to play WR...hill IMO get's schemed the ball a lot (Reid is a bad ass coach) same with Gabriel. You want someone with speed and great route running look no further than OBJ (who I wanted so bad smh).

We need speed for sure but we need a QB that can get them the ball as well.

Bey has been productive with the Steelers,Patterson is just Now coming around ,Ford yeah you`re right and look at the TD`s Patterson has on Kick-off, Hill and Taylor have been very productive so I have ti disagree with you NY which does`nt happen often. 9ers need to speedo@ the wideout position,but 1st they need to FIRE that no-talent GM named the Baalkinater which destroys teams rosters.
Originally posted by jrouter4949:
Bey has been productive with the Steelers,Patterson is just Now coming around ,Ford yeah you`re right and look at the TD`s Patterson has on Kick-off, Hill and Taylor have been very productive so I have ti disagree with you NY which does`nt happen often. 9ers need to speedo@ the wideout position,but 1st they need to FIRE that no-talent GM named the Baalkinater which destroys teams rosters.

Bey had 314 yards and 2 TDs with Brown getting doubled and in a pass happy system last yr IMHO top 10 pick bust. Patterson wasn't drafted in the 1st to be a kick-off only guy. The only way he get's the ball is when they scheme plays for him...he doesn't get open.

I'm not saying Hill and Taylor haven't been productive at all....I was driving to work this AM and Louis Riddick was talking about how Reid is scheming plays for Hill and they were attacking Nate Allen. They've created space for Hill to run when he get's the ball same with Taylor.

I agree we need speed no doubt but just because a guy runs a 4.3 doesn't mean he's gonna be a good football player (that's my main point ). I think one of the reason's Hill dropped in the draft was because of a DV situation and the fact he came from a small school.
Share 49ersWebzone