LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 236 users in the forums

Position groups going forward

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Is there any position group that we are set at going forward, or atleast close to it?

I can't seem to think of one.

Our best player may be Kicker, but Dawson is already on his last leg.
Our offensive line isn't horrible
We will have a better than most OLine for our rooking QB next season.
Let's see

QB's = hell no
RB-s = Hyde can't stay healthy, Harris solid back up...nothing else behind them
OL = Been solid in pass pro but run blocking not so much. Can't get any push when it's really needed in short yardage. Most solid group
WR's - hell no
DL = AA and Buck still growing but we've been over what they both need to do to improve. NT is a disaster No depth
LB's = Bowman's health? Lynch's head and shape? Brooks is done. Tank and Eli are both busts. Still looking for ILB next to Bowman
DB's = Robinson looks promising. Ward seems solid. And that's about it. Everybody else is a question mark. Reid and Bethea are average and their times are up with this team. Reaser and DJ are back ups. I have no clue what we have in Tartt and Redmond
KR/PR = hell no
QB's =
RB-s = Hyde and Harris are legit. Need depth.
OL = Really nice power OL for Modkins. Too bad we run a zone.
WR's - Kerley is legit as is Torrey (with a QB). Badly need a true ZWR.
DL = Great young core with Armstead, Williams, Buckner and Dial. Health is killing this group...like many others.
LB's = From our strongest unit to crap overnight. Lots of work needed here. Health a big issue. Badly need a true WILL pass rusher.
DB's = Best unit. Legit starters in Robinson and Ward. Reaser can play inside or outside and I'd love to move Ward to FS and Tartt to SS. Depth already with Johnson, Brock, Redmond, Davis, etc. They need some front 7 help badly.
KR/PR = Kerley and Shepherd look good but we don't have a play maker there yet.
Originally posted by NTeply49:
Our offensive line isn't horrible

This is true.

They aren't set for the future, since Staley will be retiring soon but definetly can be build upon.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Let's see

QB's = hell no
RB-s = Hyde can't stay healthy, Harris solid back up...nothing else behind them
OL = Been solid in pass pro but run blocking not so much. Can't get any push when it's really needed in short yardage. Most solid group
WR's - hell no
DL = AA and Buck still growing but we've been over what they both need to do to improve. NT is a disaster No depth
LB's = Bowman's health? Lynch's head and shape? Brooks is done. Tank and Eli are both busts. Still looking for ILB next to Bowman
DB's = Robinson looks promising. Ward seems solid. And that's about it. Everybody else is a question mark. Reid and Bethea are average and their times are up with this team. Reaser and DJ are back ups. I have no clue what we have in Tartt and Redmond
KR/PR = hell no

Originally posted by NCommand:
QB's =
RB-s = Hyde and Harris are legit. Need depth.
OL = Really nice power OL for Modkins. Too bad we run a zone.
WR's - Kerley is legit as is Torrey (with a QB). Badly need a true ZWR.
DL = Great young core with Armstead, Williams, Buckner and Dial. Health is killing this group...like many others.
LB's = From our strongest unit to crap overnight. Lots of work needed here. Health a big issue. Badly need a true WILL pass rusher.
DB's = Best unit. Legit starters in Robinson and Ward. Reaser can play inside or outside and I'd love to move Ward to FS and Tartt to SS. Depth already with Johnson, Brock, Redmond, Davis, etc. They need some front 7 help badly.
KR/PR = Kerley and Shepherd look good but we don't have a play maker there yet.

I agree with both of these posts.

DB's may be a promising going forward(excluding Brock ) Although it's tough to get a good enough read on them considering teams would rather run all over us.
  • TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place
QB = Desperate Need. Kap is opting out leaving us with Ponder and he who shall not be named.
RB = We're okay. We could use more depth but we have a lot of gaps to fill
TE = Need. Celek can't block or catch. I was really looking forward to seeing Bruce and Vance work together but we are the 9ers and you know the rest
WR = Desperate need. Watch the Cowboys film. Teams can man up on us and take away the Zone Read because we have no one that can get separation off the breaks. Smith can burn guys over the top unless a safety comes over.
T = We're okay. Beggars can't be choosers. Trent Brown limits Chip's no huddle but does a decent job otherwise. Staley brings that veteran leadership to the line. I was actually real high on Theus and his pass pro at UGA. Cooper is decent too.
G = Need. While ZB has done a great job, it would be great to solidify the front 3 with another young Guard.
C = We're okay. Tiller is a great backup for Kilgore who can hold his own.
NT = Desperate need. A dominant NT will make the biggest difference in a 3-4. You win the numbers game regardless of the playside if you get a legit NT. We relied on undrafted guys or out of position 3-4 DEs to fill the gap.
DE = Need. I hated drafting AA and Buck. It's just a hope for potential with them. If you can't be 1 on 1 blocks for majority of the game, you shouldn't be a 1st round pick. These 2 have been on skates this season but Purcell gets all the blame. Hopefully they keep and develop Blair here. That guy has shown promise.
OLB = Need. Myles Garrett and Aaron Lynch could be the cornerstone of a great defense off the edge. We just have to hope for no more suspensions for Lynch, They could generate a lot of picks for this defense and Garrett is able to shutdown the run game for anything on his side.
ILB = Desperate Need. We lost Willis and Borland and still haven't made and effort to draft or sign another legit playmaker to help an already injured Bowman. An ideal ILB will be able to cover the huge gaps made by Buckner and AA getting driven back. We need a damn miracle here if we're stick with the Duck boys up front. I'm hoping that we develop Tartt here.
CB = We're okay. Front 7 getting to the QB will help production here.
S = Need. Why we took a great cover safety like Ward and made him a CB...and then drafted 6 more damn CBs who can't get Brock off the field is beyond me. Put Ward and Reid up top and you won't get Old Man Bethea type of problems.
KR/PR = We're fine. Shepherd is fine for now.
Special teams ace = We're fine. Bellore does a great job on kick coverage.
K = If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Hopefully we learned from Nedney to let old reliable play until the wheels fall off.
Share 49ersWebzone