There are 219 users in the forums

When will Kaep get a start?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

When will Kaep get a start?

I don't think the injury clause has a thing to do with it. That makes zero sense, to me at least. If they were worried about that they wouldn't have him dressed and ready as #2. I think he is just better than Ponder and either not healthy enough, or looking good enough to beat out Gabbert in practice. But even at less than optimum he is still better than Ponder.
As to when he starts... Who knows, but if he dies it probably won't be before the by week.
[ Edited by mojave45 on Sep 28, 2016 at 10:22 PM ]
Originally posted by mojave45:
As to when he starts... Who knows, but if he dies it probably won't be before the by week.

I don't think the injury clause has a thing to do with it. That makes zero sense, to me at least. If they were worried about that they wouldn't have him dressed and ready as #2. I think he is just better than Ponder and either not healthy enough, or looking good enough to beat out Gabbert in practice. But even at less than optimum he is still better than Ponder.

Fair point, I didn't think of that.
Originally posted by Zealot:

Lol, freaking spell Check!
  • dj43
I don't usually read Grant Cohen but I did today. He made a couple of points that I have made in the past. (what does that make me? )

1. Gabbert is performing better in practice than Kaepernick. Tim Ryan, who watches all the practices, has said the same thing (see story on home page). None of the rest of us see practice so I will assume Ryan is telling us what Kelly is not when Kelly blames it on CK's weight. Kelly is backing his player without having to say Gabbert is beating him out.

2. Baalke is hoping that some team will suddenly need a QB after their starter goes down, and will come for Kaepernick. Right now no one knows how he is doing for sure but for those who are desperate, they will hope he can still play like 2013 and will pay accordingly. Grant called it phantom value. I agree with that as well. I hope it works that way because I want the 49ers to get some value for him. It would be colossal failure if we just cut him and got nothing of value for a high 2nd round pick.

I personally don't think the injury clause is a big deal to the FO. If Kelly is forced to use him due to injury to Gabbert, so be it. In the meantime, I think #2 above is in play, although #1 will continue to be the case until Kaepernick proves otherwise in practice.

Just my .02 worth...
  • dj43

I don't think we will ever see Ponder ahead of Kaepernick unless CK sustains an injury in practice that keeps him from playing. To play Ponder ahead of a healthy CK would totally destroy any trade value CK may have to some desperate team.
Originally posted by dj43:

I don't think we will ever see Ponder ahead of Kaepernick unless CK sustains an injury in practice that keeps him from playing. To play Ponder ahead of a healthy CK would totally destroy any trade value CK may have to some desperate team.

No, #2 or #3 or what ever Kaep is listed will not effect his value. No team sees what he is doing because he's not on the field. Also, You don't think that Kelly by saying Kaep is under weight and other stuff is destroying his value already?
Originally posted by SoCold:
When he's 100%.

Lol. When he can play better than Gabbert in practice.

I cant wait for us to draft a QB. I want all this to end. Just...no more.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
When we played in the NFCCG the previous year, and become a SB contender the following year. Then Kaep can start and carry the team to the SB.

This

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by awp8912:
Originally posted by awp8912:
Hilarious. All off-season, Gabbert this, and Gabbert that. Essays written on the guy and now the "expert" wisdom that was wrong time and time again is trying to convince us all Kap is garbage too!!

....Yeah as if there is an ounce of credibility left from all that Gabbert talking up all off-season that many of us and the rest of the world already knew was false.

Only difference between Gabbert and Kap right now is, Gabbert is playing and making mistakes. What, do you think Kap is not gonna make any mistakes and all of a sudden light the world on fire after a year off?? You think Kelly's offense is gonna magically make him an elite QB with this defense backing him up??

No. I and the rest of the world that didn't think for one second Gabbert was anything more than a bust, think the Oline which hasn't been this good since 2013 will make Kap 10x better than Gabbert........cause ya know that's kind of an important thing to have for a QB especially one that thrives on throwing down the field and loves to improvise and extend big plays.........

No one thought Gabbert was gonna be the next best thing, people thought he was a better fit for the offense, could spread the ball around a lot more and manage the offense.

And 10x better than Gabbert, setting the bar a little low there, shoot I'm pretty sure Ponder can step in and look better than Gabbert. And since you bring up the O-line, I'm also willing to bet Kap get's sacked a lot more than Gabbert does, dude just holds onto the ball forever and a day.

But whatever, I'm fine with the coaching staff making a switch at QB after a game or two I think it's time. One thing though, if Kap is a team player, he'd restructure and waive that injury clause don't you think, or will he go with the same song and dance if he starts to falter??
Who care about the money, injury clauses, unfinished house paintings, peoples feelings ..put the damn QBs in there till someone starts playing the actual position. and if they can't dont do it, then we would know to cut them all in the off season

LOL who cares, I'm sure everyone that matters in the organization cares. You don't pay a QB who's played terrible for two years $30 million dollars, only to be stuck with him again for a third year. If Kap restructured, I think he would gain more respect from the front office and teammates.
everyone in the Org wants to see if we have a QB on the roster. It's time to find out about the 2 other QBs.

Kaeps money will not hinder us next season if he's injured. We can still afford two good WRs and even a Vet QB like Fitz if we need to

So in two years you paid a QB $30 million dollars that regressed in 2015 and picking up where he left off in 2016. That's not smart business right there, I don't know how many times I have to repeat that. It's also easy to say when it's not exactly your money right.

Now KNBR is reporting Gabbert looks better than Kap in practice, holy smokes Kaepernick must really suck.....and he's making $14.5 million.
First game after the trade deadline.

This is actually the only clever thing Grant Cohn has ever written: if you play him before and he sucks (as he probably will, since the team is dreadful anyway) you annihilate any trade value he has left. He doesn't have much, true, but why throw it away. Perhaps some team panics and pulls a Palmer-to-the-Raiders move. Keep Kaepernick out, healthy and perhaps, just possibly, effective, and you may cash him for a decent pick. If it doesn't happen (and most probably it won't), it doesn't make much of a difference. We're thin on talent across the board and highly unlikely to make a run at the playoffs. If the stars align, and Gabbert starts pulling wins out of his ass, great. If we suck, as everyone not wearing rose-coloured glasses has expected since March, then wait till Week 7 or whenever the first post-deadline is, then start Kaepernick. Making the switch before then is suboptimal.
No team is gonna trade for Kaep this year and here is why. His contract, if you trade for him and start him and if he is sucking and gets hurt guess what you are gonna have to pay him next year. If any teams are interested in Kaep what they want to see happen is Kaep play this year for the 49ers and see how he performs, if he sucks but he showed enough for that team to be intrigued just wait for the 49ers to cut him next year and get him for cheap, No reason to take on that huge contract for a player who has some pretty major question marks as a QB

No matter what your opinion is of Kaeps protests no team wants to take that on right now, its would be too much of a distraction for that new team.

Kaep is gonna play this year and he either plays well enough to remain a 9er next year or his suckage will continue and the 49ers will get no one to take on his contract and he will be cut. I dont see any other logical scenarios

Kaep will start after the bye if Gabbert continues to play like he is.
NONE >> In another lifetime, with a lot of luck.

But how do we know that for sure 45? Ponder looked way better than Kap in preseason; quick release, fast decisions, accurate, run well, took some downfield shots and connected for the most part. I say inactive Kep and save any $14mil oss in case he gets a booboo and go with Blaine/Ponder, and stat Ponder if Blaine continues to fail..I think like many, and a couple writers including the guy from KNBR who sees every practice live says Kap looks like poo and hasn't been able to beat out Gabbert so far...imagine that..
Share 49ersWebzone