There are 195 users in the forums

What if Thread: Harbaugh stayed

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NinerGM:
I really can't believe this thread is not locked.

Seriously?

Can I start a "What if we Kept Alex Smith" thread? I'd really like to.
already in NFL talk
riginally posted by crabman82:
There's no way Willis gets hurt like he did and go from talking about for sure playing the next season to abruptly retiring without the massive downgrade in coaches being a factor.

Good story except Willis's last half season was with Harbaugh? You guys are crazy to think Harbaugh had anything to do

not even worth the debate just plain idiocy!!
[ Edited by Izyniner on Sep 7, 2016 at 9:02 AM ]
Depends if Harbaugh was willing to change his offense because the defense was about to have a bomb go off on it.

Harbaugh wouldn't have prevented:
Aldon from being Aldon
Justin Smith retiring
Chris Borland retiring
N. Bowman's injury

Either way it would have been tough for even Harbaugh to have a good year last year. Maybe Kap wouldn't have struggled as much but I don't think he would have been as good as he was when the read option was the hot thing in the NFL. So with that said even if Kap played average we still would have sucked last year.
Originally posted by miked1978:
Depends if Harbaugh was willing to change his offense because the defense was about to have a bomb go off on it.

Aldon from being Aldon
Justin Smith retiring
Chris Borland retiring
N. Bowman's injury

Either way it would have been tough for even Harbaugh to have a good year last year. Maybe Kap wouldn't have struggled as much but I don't think he would have been as good as he was when the read option was the hot thing in the NFL. So with that said even if Kap played average we still would have sucked last year.
Harbaugh ignited the fuse

We're the 49ers and we can do what we want !

The NFL back handed us the whole time JH was here
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
But 2015/2016 with Harbaugh? Maybe we attract players...

Sean Smith flat out said the reason he (or any FA) didn't come here was b/c we were 'perceived' to 1) no longer have a Franchise QB, 2) everyone and their mother (except our own fans) saw our roster turned completely over in one off season and we were now rebuilding, and 3) Kelly's offensive system appears to put the defensive players at a disadvantage d/t higher snap counts and pace.

Jim Harbaugh would not have effected #1 & #2 in any way.
Originally posted by miked1978:

Aldon from being Aldon
Justin Smith retiring
Chris Borland retiring
N. Bowman's injury

And it was far more than that. All those players that were sitting on the bench coupled with these veteran losses you noted and now you add a bunch of rookies starting with them meant we completely turned the entire roster over in one single off season and became the 6th youngest team (and even fewer snap counts/NFL experience).

How this is dismissed or ignored to this date is beyond comprehension.

Take the Hawks, Patriots, Broncos, Panthers, etc. Turn their entire roster over in one off season and leave just one veteran starter on offense and defense. Pick ANY two.

How would they do? How would fans feel about the current state of the franchise? About their GM (no matter what they accomplished in the recent past)?
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 7, 2016 at 9:29 AM ]
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
What if: Harbaugh wasn't a douche.....

Belichick isn't the friendliest guy. Who cares? He is a winner.
What if fish?
What if we didn't go into Iraq?

What if the economy didn't crash?

What If, What if, What if ...

These threads are a complete waste of time.

We have a brand new season to look forward to.

Threads like this are so pointless.

They focus on unchangeable crap.

All they succeed in doing is pissing people off and take away from the excitement of a new season.
Alex Smith was carrying Harbaugh's golf back at events, he let him go, Kaepernick would have followed the same route as he no longer was a winning QB.

Harbaugh was lucky to exit at the right time before his weakness as a coach was completely exposed with a decimated roster. He wasn't an innovator, his strength was in keeping guys on edge all the time, a big reason why he burns out at every stop. That style of coaching works when you have a superior roster, but motivating crappy players isn't going to win games.
Originally posted by znk916:
Harbaugh was lucky to exit at the right time before his weakness as a coach was completely exposed with a decimated roster. He wasn't an innovator, his strength was in keeping guys on edge all the time, a big reason why he burns out at every stop. That style of coaching works when you have a superior roster, but motivating crappy players isn't going to win games.

Having crappy players period does not help win games.
We wouldn't of had that clown ass coaching staff last year who are all unemployed now.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
I really can't believe this thread is not locked.

Seriously?

Can I start a "What if we Kept Alex Smith" thread? I'd really like to.

This is bullcrap. This board used to be about football. Now it's about attitudes and opinions, by a bunch of know nothings that think they know everything. There are some on here that still try to talk about the game but mostly it's a bunch of lame crap like "Baalke fired JH" . I want to know what mushrooms you ate to make that a reality in your mind. All these opinions from guys working jobs that have nothing to do with football, but somehow, they've become experts in the business of running a billion dollar NFL franchise. They are so good that they can tell you what players are thinking in the locker room, what the coaches are planning, who's grabbing more power in the front office, what the state of the finances are for the team, everything! Homers and trolls going back and forth endlessly. Put down experts anxiously waiting for another poster to take the bait so they can zing them with their take. I'm just tired. Okay that felt good , have a great day. Go Niners. Destroy the rams!
Share 49ersWebzone