There are 282 users in the forums

Who should we pick up

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
The Yorks and throw them out of the country!
  • Andra
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Lifer:
WR Justin Hunter:

6' 4", 201 lbs., 4.36 speed, 25 years old. He was drafted in the second round by the Titans and put up 1,812 yards and 18 touchdowns over three seasons. He's coming off a broken ankle and kinda got lost on a talented WR depth chart in Tennessee. The guy has more potential than Burbridge IMHO. Also, his mom says the 49ers are interested:

"It's time for him to move on," Gloria Hunter said on Saturday from her home in Virginia Beach, Virginia. "… He probably wouldn't have a lot of playing time there. They had nine receivers and they brought people out of retirement, but it's all right because he has teams looking at him. He is going to get picked up. San Diego is looking at him, the 49ers, Miami and the Redskins are too."

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/nfl/titans/2016/09/03/justin-hunters-mom-ready-son-join-new-team/89845318/

Bring him in why not??

I second that
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Because teams share film on players. And when all you do is look at film and do player evals, you tell pretty much in an instant what will work at a baseline level and what won't. People forget we do this PART TIME, as a hobby, as something that entertains us. Very few on this board watch THOUSANDS of hours of film and spend 10 hours a day 6 days a week looking at players. Is it possible something is missed? Absolutely. Is it LIKELY that something is missed? Not really.

I don't have a problem with the team bringing Hunter in for a look but people are getting carried away with the lauding of a guy who has never come close to reaching his potential. Odds are that he is completely out of the NFL in a couple of years. He's tall but smaller CB's have routinely outjumped him for passes. He doesn't have much bulk and he has poor technique so more physical cornerbacks have been able to lock him up really easily with press coverage. He runs poor routes and doesn't always go after the football aggressively. He may run a 4.3 something but from what I've seen, he certainly doesn't play to it.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Kayarris Garrett, Ian Seau, Jace Amaro, Dee Milliner, kevin Hogan, Tyrone Holmes, Andre Williams
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Because teams share film on players. And when all you do is look at film and do player evals, you tell pretty much in an instant what will work at a baseline level and what won't. People forget we do this PART TIME, as a hobby, as something that entertains us. Very few on this board watch THOUSANDS of hours of film and spend 10 hours a day 6 days a week looking at players. Is it possible something is missed? Absolutely. Is it LIKELY that something is missed? Not really.

I don't have a problem with the team bringing Hunter in for a look but people are getting carried away with the lauding of a guy who has never come close to reaching his potential. Odds are that he is completely out of the NFL in a couple of years. He's tall but smaller CB's have routinely outjumped him for passes. He doesn't have much bulk and he has poor technique so more physical cornerbacks have been able to lock him up really easily with press coverage. He runs poor routes and doesn't always go after the football aggressively. He may run a 4.3 something but from what I've seen, he certainly doesn't play to it.

I'm starting to think you are not very high on Hunter
I like Hunter over shorts. He has great speed but the intriguing part is his size. Could be a great redzone target. His stats are are ok but you have to look at the Titans team. Rookies throwing him the ball, crap coaching. He is worth a try.
If a team like NE picked him up he would be a stud.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

Phoenix knows his players, if he says he's overrated I have to go with his assessment. I think the point is we need to use our earlier draft picks on Wr's not wait until the 5th/6th rounds. Patton and Ellington are these type of players. They should be backups and not forced to be starters.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

I wasn't high on him well before the draft. I got called all sorts of names because I didn't think he would amount to much as quite a few wanted the 49ers to use their 1st rounder on him or Patterson.

I think when it comes to WR's there's an absurd amount of fixation on 40 times and size.

Like you can just draft guys who will easily be able to outrun and beat out NFL level cornerbacks simply on the basis of their athleticism alone and in reality you need guys with the aptitude for the position, just like any other. Just as you can't draft any QB with a rocket arm and hope that things will work out, you need guys who function well in space, who are at least decent route runners, who are willing to put in the work to adapt their game to the NFL....etc.

So no, I don't have much faith in Hunter. I think he's worth a shot, whether they claim him off of waivers or bring him for a workout but I honestly expect him to be out of the league altogether in short fashion because quite frankly he's never seemed all too interested in putting the work in to actually starting moving towards his immense potential.

I wasn't high on him well before the draft. I got called all sorts of names because I didn't think he would amount to much as quite a few wanted the 49ers to use their 1st rounder on him or Patterson.

I think when it comes to WR's there's an absurd amount of fixation on 40 times and size.

Like you can just draft guys who will easily be able to outrun and beat out NFL level cornerbacks simply on the basis of their athleticism alone and in reality you need guys with the aptitude for the position, just like any other. Just as you can't draft any QB with a rocket arm and hope that things will work out, you need guys who function well in space, who are at least decent route runners, who are willing to put in the work to adapt their game to the NFL....etc.

So no, I don't have much faith in Hunter. I think he's worth a shot, whether they claim him off of waivers or bring him for a workout but I honestly expect him to be out of the league altogether in short fashion because quite frankly he's never seemed all too interested in putting the work in to actually starting moving towards his immense potential.

Sorry, I should have put a next to my post to indicate I was just joking around.
On a serious note though, do you think he could possibly flourish in Kellys offense is he put the work in?
  • Tman
  • Veteran
Hunter claimed by the Dolphins

Originally posted by Tman:

Means that the 49ers didn't put a claim in for him, or the Chargers or several other WR needy teams.
  • Tman
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Tman:

Means that the 49ers didn't put a claim in for him, or the Chargers or several other WR needy teams.

Yea I know, still wanted to see what he had to give after being cut.

Looks like we didn't get anybody off waivers.

Very ghood call!
We need sign by Jaxon Shipley from cardinals #wr..

I agree Phoenix49er,It takes more then speed and size to be a good to great WR in the NFL,Burbridge will e a good WR in the NFL I also think Anderson given a chance will be a good WR when He makes it off the P.S. you see the little things that Dres and Burbs do in games to get open to put themselves in winnable positions to beat their defender,they make co ntestable catches......so yeah you are pretty much on point with Hunter.
Share 49ersWebzone