LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 342 users in the forums

if Gabbert starts, what to do with Kap?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

if Gabbert starts, what to do with Kap?

If Gabbert starts, which I hope he does, we should probably cut the most expensive backup qb in the nfl. We're in rebuilding mode and now that most of the criminals are off of the team we have one more giant distraction and he wears number 7
  • Stud
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:
Originally posted by ethanraphael:
Originally posted by mutant-man49:
When Gabbert starts the year 0-3, Kap will be in anyway.

That being said if it is a lost season, Kap needs to be playing just in case an injury happens and some team is desperate. Price is higher if Kap is playing and doing well.

What if the injury happens to Kap? Then they could end up stuck with his contract for a long time. I think there's a reasonable chance they sit him out unless he is obviously better than Gabbert in the early stages of training camp. It's a very awkward situation and Kaeprnick isn't making it any easier with his off field antics.

Dude go somewhere with this racial b******t.

Lol. How the hell was that racist? You do know he's talking about Kaps stupid tweet he made recently right? He's not referring to the way he dresses and acts. Seriously I'm so sick of you Kap fans and your insane social justice warrior rhetoric. Nobody wants to hear you reiterate what you heard on MSNBC this morning.

We get it. Kap has been bad the last 2 years. He's no longer being carried by his team and his lack of skill is finally showing. He got outplayed by a first round bust that was almost out of the league a few years ago. You're running out of arguments to defend Kap. But try to keep this about football. For the love of God.
Originally posted by Stud:
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:
Originally posted by ethanraphael:
Originally posted by mutant-man49:
When Gabbert starts the year 0-3, Kap will be in anyway.

That being said if it is a lost season, Kap needs to be playing just in case an injury happens and some team is desperate. Price is higher if Kap is playing and doing well.

What if the injury happens to Kap? Then they could end up stuck with his contract for a long time. I think there's a reasonable chance they sit him out unless he is obviously better than Gabbert in the early stages of training camp. It's a very awkward situation and Kaeprnick isn't making it any easier with his off field antics.

Dude go somewhere with this racial b******t.

Lol. How the hell was that racist? You do know he's talking about Kaps stupid tweet he made recently right? He's not referring to the way he dresses and acts. Seriously I'm so sick of you Kap fans and your insane social justice warrior rhetoric. Nobody wants to hear you reiterate what you heard on MSNBC this morning.

We get it. Kap has been bad the last 2 years. He's no longer being carried by his team and his lack of skill is finally showing. He got outplayed by a first round bust that was almost out of the league a few years ago. You're running out of arguments to defend Kap. But try to keep this about football. For the love of God.
In today's NFL a team must have at least two quality quarterbacks. Starters go down and you must have a backup who can compete. If Kap doesn't get the starting job he'll definitely see action during the course of the long season.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
In today's NFL a team must have at least two quality quarterbacks. Starters go down and you must have a backup who can compete. If Kap doesn't get the starting job he'll definitely see action during the course of the long season.

Originally posted by Stud:

Grasping at anything to fit your narratives. Hopefully Kaep plays well this year and is named the starter, the 9ers win the Super Bowl... Think we'd lose some fans around here.

See nothing wrong with Kaep's tweets but understand why you would be bothered by them.

But lets keep this about football....except when you want to make things personal

This is how I feel. No matter who's the starter, the backup will play. This board will be divided once again.

How many teams pay their backup QB $17 million per year (we would save $16.9 million in 2017 alone from cutting him)?

If Gabbert wins the starting role, we'll have to pay him. Unless you want to commit $30 million a year for two sub-par QB's, I can't see this happening.
Originally posted by beatintina49:
If Gabbert starts, which I hope he does, we should probably cut the most expensive backup qb in the nfl. We're in rebuilding mode and now that most of the criminals are off of the team we have one more giant distraction and he wears number 7

His money is guaranteed ($12 million) this year, your not cutting that especially with Blaine and a 6th rd rookie as your only other options at the most important position in sports.

Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
How many teams pay their backup QB $17 million per year (we would save $16.9 million in 2017 alone from cutting him)?

If Gabbert wins the starting role, we'll have to pay him. Unless you want to commit $30 million a year for two sub-par QB's, I can't see this happening.

His $12 million is already guaranteed (after April 1st) not sure where your getting $17 million from? I'm pretty sure all that extra cash is based off incentives not guarantees.

Kap is as good as gone after this season if he hasn't taken the starting gig. Blaine is also a FA after this season.

But I don't see how you cut a QB with all that guarantee cash and basically nothing behind a backup QB like Blaine for this yr.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by beatintina49:

His money is guaranteed ($12 million) this year, your not cutting that especially with Blaine and a 6th rd rookie as your only other options at the most important position in sports.

Yeah, he is going to get his $12 million from the 9ers whether he is cut or not, so there is no financial gain in cutting him. Gabbert is making $2 million this year. How many teams are paying $14 million total for both their starter and their backup? When looked at as quarterback pay in total, the 9ers have probably one the the cheapest quarterback situations in the league. Hopefully, cheap doesn't not translate into "bad".
Originally posted by 49erphan:
Yeah, he is going to get his $12 million from the 9ers whether he is cut or not, so there is no financial gain in cutting him. Gabbert is making $2 million this year. How many teams are paying $14 million total for both their starter and their backup? When looked at as quarterback pay in total, the 9ers have probably one the the cheapest quarterback situations in the league. Hopefully, cheap doesn't not translate into "bad".

Yeah makes no sense to cut him this year at all...still think he's got a good chance to start at some point as well.
If Gabbert is named the starter, give Kaepernick the RG3 treatment and bench him, no sense in risking him getting injured and the team going through the same BS next year at an even higher guaranteed salary. In the offseason trade or cut him.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jul 23, 2016 at 7:28 AM ]
Originally posted by 49erphan:

Not necessarily true. The vast majority of his guaranteed money is through game checks so if the 49ers were to cut him and another team signed him, it would reduce how much the 49ers have to pay him depending on what he earns with a new team. I don't see him getting cut however, I think he makes it through the season on the roster and is gone afterwards.
Share 49ersWebzone