There are 172 users in the forums

Position battles

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Position battles

GM battle
Kelly
baalke
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
NY, just my opinion, but whether we keep Burbridge , Smelter, White ,Simpson, to go with Torrey, or whoever your choices are at WR, I think those are the guys we play with. I don't think we get a top flite WR until we have our Franchise QB. Our current QBs aren't known for their accuracy, nor are they particularly good passers. Getting a great WR with no QB to throw to him doesn't make sense to me . So let's use the guys we got now, hope boht QBs learn to throw to them with a fair chance of a reception, and hold off on any more WRs until we have our FRanchise QB. Once we do that, fine, THEN get the WR you want. Now...I just think that is a wasted move. And certainly one or more of those guys can come up with some catches. A lot depends on the QB knowing the exact route, step for step, second for second. Let these guys have the role this yr. Next yr, we get a tough WR.

I'm not saying Justin Hunter is a top shelf WR just an upgrade with upside who's gonna cost next to nothing...6-4 4.4 wheels isn't a bad thing to have. I'd rather have him them Simpson.
  • HERN
  • Veteran
All the running backs have shined (minus the fumbles) And it's going to be difficult to see one of these guys go, especially at a position that in years past we've struggled to stay healthy.

1.Hyde
2.Davis
3.Draughn
4.Harris

If Harris can get some Of the fumbling issues under control, I could see him moving up the Depth chart. Rooting for that guy.
Originally posted by HERN:
All the running backs have shined (minus the fumbles) And it's going to be difficult to see one of these guys go, especially at a position that in years past we've struggled to stay healthy.

1.Hyde
2.Davis
3.Draughn
4.Harris

If Harris can get some Of the fumbling issues under control, I could see him moving up the Depth chart. Rooting for that guy.

Didn't they already say Draughn has the #2 spot locked down? Think the #3 comes down to Davis and Harris. Not sure how many we keep.
Originally posted by PacTiger:
AD is perfect trade bait. If he doesn't beat brown, other teams will be interested in a former all pro tackle.

Perfect trade bait but i dont think you trade AD since injuries happen you'll need him to fill in for both LT and RT maybe even OG, I'd say try and trade MM or Brandon Thomas before trying to trade AD.
Originally posted by 49ersOnMINE:
Originally posted by PacTiger:
AD is perfect trade bait. If he doesn't beat brown, other teams will be interested in a former all pro tackle.

Perfect trade bait but i dont think you trade AD since injuries happen you'll need him to fill in for both LT and RT maybe even OG, I'd say try and trade MM or Brandon Thomas before trying to trade AD.

Plus I dont think he will attract a decent offer. Teams will want to see if he is truly back and if his heart is in it before they offer much more than a 7th round pick.
Originally posted by miked1978:
Originally posted by HERN:

1.Hyde
2.Davis
3.Draughn
4.Harris

Didn't they already say Draughn has the #2 spot locked down? Think the #3 comes down to Davis and Harris. Not sure how many we keep.

I think Harris is gone. Has been on 8 teams in the 6 years he has been in the league mainly due to his inability to hold onto the football. Davis put it on the ground a couple of times too but although still young, he isn't known as a fumbler, Harris is. If Harris can finish strong these last two games AND Davis continues to put the ball on the ground, Harris could stick around....I just don't see it. I think he is what he is at this point. Very determined runner but I have zero trust that he can consistently hold onto the football.
Listening to Matt Barrows on the Gold Faithful Podcast, and he said he thinks the team is going to keep 5 WR because none of the White, Campbell, Dres crowd has been consistently separating themselves from each other.

I would propose we keep 7 corners(and 5WR) including Acker, and have Cromartie as a Safety. Wait for 1-4 weeks to see if a team has injuries and wants to trade for a 13 game starter at CB for one of their recently drafted WR with upside.

If Smelter sharpens up his routes and gets healthy, we win. If the WR we traded for shows some promise, we win. But it makes more sense to keep Acker on the roster and get something better for him, rather than keep a 6th WR in the beginning of the season who would be the first to get dropped if we needed a roster spot.
Originally posted by Derelict:
Listening to Matt Barrows on the Gold Faithful Podcast, and he said he thinks the team is going to keep 5 WR because none of the White, Campbell, Dres crowd has been consistently separating themselves from each other.

I would propose we keep 7 corners(and 5WR) including Acker, and have Cromartie as a Safety. Wait for 1-4 weeks to see if a team has injuries and wants to trade for a 13 game starter at CB for one of their recently drafted WR with upside.

If Smelter sharpens up his routes and gets healthy, we win. If the WR we traded for shows some promise, we win. But it makes more sense to keep Acker on the roster and get something better for him, rather than keep a 6th WR in the beginning of the season who would be the first to get dropped if we needed a roster spot.

That's one way to look at it...who you keeping at WR?
Originally posted by mdieg953552:
I my opinion at WR it will be easier to stash Smelter on the practice squad since he has been hurt and there is not much tape on him. So I would switch D. White for Smelter. I like C Davis as a cb also, he is playing very well and if continues should be on the 53 team. Looking forward to seeing the game tonight and hoping the QB starts playing better........It is a rebuilding year so there will be a lot of pain but the games should be watchable and getting our younger players good experience in 2016 will bode well for 2017......Go 9'ers

Are we really stashing him? I mean, come on, there's no hidden secret about his greatness.

Originally posted by NYniner85:

That's one way to look at it...who you keeping at WR?

The usual suspects: Smith, Ellington and Patton + Smelter and Simpson. We would be thin with Smelter being raw and Simpson not playing ST, but I would hope that wouldn't defeat some of our leverage in a trade.
The usual suspects: Smith, Ellington and Patton + Smelter and Simpson. We would be thin with Smelter being raw and Simpson not playing ST, but I would hope that wouldn't defeat some of our leverage in a trade.

Smelter might start off on PUP the way things are going. I see them keeping 6 WRs
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
NY, just my opinion, but whether we keep Burbridge , Smelter, White ,Simpson, to go with Torrey, or whoever your choices are at WR, I think those are the guys we play with. I don't think we get a top flite WR until we have our Franchise QB. Our current QBs aren't known for their accuracy, nor are they particularly good passers. Getting a great WR with no QB to throw to him doesn't make sense to me . So let's use the guys we got now, hope boht QBs learn to throw to them with a fair chance of a reception, and hold off on any more WRs until we have our FRanchise QB. Once we do that, fine, THEN get the WR you want. Now...I just think that is a wasted move. And certainly one or more of those guys can come up with some catches. A lot depends on the QB knowing the exact route, step for step, second for second. Let these guys have the role this yr. Next yr, we get a tough WR.

I'm not saying Justin Hunter is a top shelf WR just an upgrade with upside who's gonna cost next to nothing...6-4 4.4 wheels isn't a bad thing to have. I'd rather have him them Simpson.

Yup, any upgrade we make at WR is a good deal. Aa long as we are keeping our core of good young players, even without a franchise QB we shouldn't hesitate to upgrade the receiving corps. Better receivers can help us now. And when we do go get " our guy" it would be nice to have some good targets already in place for him to throw too.
[ Edited by mojave45 on Aug 25, 2016 at 8:46 AM ]

I have 6 and I'm only happy with a couple; two on I.R.

X WR (LEFT): Jerome Simpson; Quinton Patton (DeAndre Smelter)
Y WR (SLOT): Bruce Ellington; Aaron Burbridge
Z WR (RIGHT): Torrey Smith; DeAndrew White (Bryce Treggs)
Originally posted by NCommand:
I have 6 and I'm only happy with a couple; two on I.R.

X WR (LEFT): Jerome Simpson; Quinton Patton (DeAndre Smelter)
Y WR (SLOT): Bruce Ellington; Aaron Burbridge
Z WR (RIGHT): Torrey Smith; DeAndrew White (Bryce Treggs)

Matts point was there were only 5 on the team today that he can see staying. He believed we would get a 6th from another teams cutts/trade.

James
Share 49ersWebzone