There are 316 users in the forums

So who is going to be our starting Quar...jk... Tight End?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Bruce Miller is our TE
Originally posted by Need4Speed:
Originally posted by thl408:
I see a lot of seam routes from the TE in Chip's offense, or maybe it's just because Ertz is a good downfield target that Chip incorporated that into his offense. Either way, I think Vance's speed can be an asset. Just those damn hands of his holding him back.

Here's a nice Cover3 buster - Scissors concept, run with double TEs. Scissors looks to horizontally stretch the deep 1/3 defender.

The read is on the orange deep 1/3 defender. When he follows the Corner route, the correct target is to the Post.

Whats most interesting to me is it seems at least 3 people were wide open on this play. I can remember lots of plays last year where it seemed the defense new what we were going to call presnap.

This is also against the Giants. Even our passing attack picked them apart last year.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheRambler:
Bruce Miller is our TE

i do not put anything past this guy!
I see a lot of seam routes from the TE in Chip's offense, or maybe it's just because Ertz is a good downfield target that Chip incorporated that into his offense. Either way, I think Vance's speed can be an asset. Just those damn hands of his holding him back.

Here's a nice Cover3 buster - Scissors concept, run with double TEs. Scissors looks to horizontally stretch the deep 1/3 defender.

The read is on the orange deep 1/3 defender. When he follows the Corner route, the correct target is to the Post.

Nice little play.....smash to the twin side and scissors to the TE stacked side. Also, with the HB crossing out you get a little mesh action with the in cutting SE.
Celek is probably the favorite. He just signed a nice extension, and is the most well-rounded TE we have.

I do expect to see Kelly use some 2 TE sets. Celek as the more traditional in-line TE, and then another TE flexed out like a big slot WR. I'd like to see a competition for that flex TE role between McDonald, Bell, Anderson, and Cajuste.
  • cools
  • Veteran
Celek has the best hands, and is a solid blocker

I like Mac, Miller and Bell, Not sure we end up keeping 4 though

Love Carjuste, I have him making the 53, but pretty sure Niners have him listed as a WR
[ Edited by cools on May 10, 2016 at 9:16 AM ]
I never liked Vance as a TE. Everyone was nuts about him when he was drafted and I had seen his film and he caught balls awkwardly that were on target but made some great catches on bad passes. He just is not a natural pass catcher. Could that change well kind of. VD wasn't a great hands catcher by any means but it improved. But no one ever considered him as having great hands. He did best when catching with his chest or the long ball.

Anyway I've always been surprised at celek but he seems injured more than healthy.

I honestly don't know. It will be interesting. We definately don't have anyone of Errtz ability on the roster.

Vance is a very good blocking TE though. Other than Miller, he is probably the best blocking TE we have. He will be important to our run game
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
I never liked Vance as a TE. Everyone was nuts about him when he was drafted and I had seen his film and he caught balls awkwardly that were on target but made some great catches on bad passes. He just is not a natural pass catcher. Could that change well kind of. VD wasn't a great hands catcher by any means but it improved. But no one ever considered him as having great hands. He did best when catching with his chest or the long ball.

Anyway I've always been surprised at celek but he seems injured more than healthy.

I honestly don't know. It will be interesting. We definately don't have anyone of Errtz ability on the roster.

Vance is a very good blocking TE though. Other than Miller, he is probably the best blocking TE we have. He will be important to our run game

He's also very good at getting immediate punishing yards after the catch. Turns that upfield very quickly.
Originally posted by cools:
Celek has the best hands, and is a solid blocker

I like Mac, Miller and Bell, Not sure we end up keeping 4 though

Love Carjuste, I have him making the 53, but pretty sure Niners have him listed as a WR

I think Miller is still a near-lock to stay on the team. He logged the 3rd most ST snaps of anyone on the team last year. He is a marquis STs player and a tremendous football player who brings a ton of versatility. Simply put, he's too valuable to let go, in my opinion.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Celek is probably the favorite. He just signed a nice extension, and is the most well-rounded TE we have.

I do expect to see Kelly use some 2 TE sets. Celek as the more traditional in-line TE, and then another TE flexed out like a big slot WR. I'd like to see a competition for that flex TE role between McDonald, Bell, Anderson, and Cajuste.

Barring injury, I think Celek, Bell, and Miller are all locks. As noted, Celek with the extension. And as I mentioned in another post, Miller's versatility and fantastic STs ability keep him here. I sincerely doubt Baalke cuts Bell after matching Celek's production in yards, but with a higher YPC average, as a rookie (who was only a year removed from being a QB).

Would not be surprised if we traded McDonald. Busta Anderson, if successful, could cause a ripple effect.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on May 10, 2016 at 9:37 AM ]

• thl408

Because Chip likes to use 11 personnel (1rb/1te/3wr), the inline TE's blocking is very important since there's no fullback. Good thing Celek and Vance are good blockers. This is why I don't see Bell in the running for the top spot unless he significantly improves this aspect of his game, but no reason to think he can't.

Because Chip likes to use 11 personnel (1rb/1te/3wr), the inline TE's blocking is very important since there's no fullback. Good thing Celek and Vance are good blockers. This is why I don't see Bell in the running for the top spot unless he significantly improves this aspect of his game, but no reason to think he can't.

yep Bell really has to up his blocking game. His receiving and route running looked promising but you are right that it is essential for a Chip TE to know how to block. I think Bell will put in the work. he was super raw at the position last year and got a lot of play time experience
[ Edited by JustinNiner on May 10, 2016 at 9:50 AM ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by SofaKing:

Barring injury, I think Celek, Bell, and Miller are all locks. As noted, Celek with the extension. And as I mentioned in another post, Miller's versatility and fantastic STs ability keep him here. I sincerely doubt Baalke cuts Bell after matching Celek's production in yards, but with a higher YPC average, as a rookie (who was only a year removed from being a QB).

Would not be surprised if we traded McDonald. Busta Anderson, if successful, could cause a ripple effect.

Agree. I also think Celek, Bell, and Miller are locks. McDonald is a near lock for me too, but if Busta or Cajuste has a big training camp/pre-season, Vance is the first guy I look to drop from that unit.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Personally, I think all our TEs including NELSON can actually play and be awesome with the Machine Gun offense.. and below are my comparison to each of them.

Vance - Punisher but Stiff - GShock

Celek - The Natural - Todd Christensen

Blake - The Big Hurt - Mark Bavaro

Busta - Jay Witten

Cajustre - Brent Jones
Got a feeling that Vance could be cut.
Share 49ersWebzone