Complete 2024 San Francisco 49ers Schedule Revealed →

There are 144 users in the forums

Installing Kelly's offense

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by mojave45:
Anyone think that Chips offense in Philly might have looked the way it did because of the division opponents he had? And that it might look different because of that alone?

The offense can work against better opponents, it has worked well at times. Philosophically there is nothing wrong with what he runs, especially when that inside zone run game is working. The key is that he needs players that can execute at a high level for it to be consistently effective. From the QB to the RB to the WR's to the OL, everyone has to execute well, otherwise it will get bogged down.

I don't know that the 49ers have the personnel for the offense to run at a high level right now. It can certainly be run well enough to be in the Top 20 of NFL offenses, but that is a far cry from a Top 2 or 3 offense which it has the potential to be with the right mix of players.

So what are your thoughts on how his system looks like when, 8-10 start stacking the box to guard against the inside zone runs? How does his system work then?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by 49erguy49:
Originally posted by DASeiler49:
I miss those days. It amazes me how many QB's DON'T use pump fakes.

I know, I used to think Alex was pump faking, but he was just hesitating. Two guys that use pump fakes really well in today's NFL are Big Ben and drew Brees

Can't pump fake if you have small hands the ball will just slip out.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by mojave45:
Anyone think that Chips offense in Philly might have looked the way it did because of the division opponents he had? And that it might look different because of that alone?

The offense can work against better opponents, it has worked well at times. Philosophically there is nothing wrong with what he runs, especially when that inside zone run game is working. The key is that he needs players that can execute at a high level for it to be consistently effective. From the QB to the RB to the WR's to the OL, everyone has to execute well, otherwise it will get bogged down.

I don't know that the 49ers have the personnel for the offense to run at a high level right now. It can certainly be run well enough to be in the Top 20 of NFL offenses, but that is a far cry from a Top 2 or 3 offense which it has the potential to be with the right mix of players.

So what are your thoughts on how his system looks like when, 8-10 start stacking the box to guard against the inside zone runs? How does his system work then?

bubble screens and WR screens prevent teams from stacking that many guys in the box. If there's two recievers to one side, and only two guys out there with no help over the top, a little screen can go for a big gain.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Wilson also has a fine pump fake.

He also is among the best in looking off defenders, keeping his eyes down field, forcing the defender to stay back while he takes off for like 20 yards.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on May 5, 2016 at 1:56 PM ]
So what you're saying is this is an AR offense.

This again!

JK
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by thl408:
So from the same formation you can run multiple plays, and variations of those plays. Got it.

Remember when THE GENIUS once explained that we used to be able to even run 100 different plays from 1 formatoin (same look), and or, THE SAME PLAY on all the formations we had in the playbook?

The Spring Right Option was one of Bill Walsh's play where different players can be the motion man and be that 1st target.

The biggest thing for a quarterback in that system is that he has to play fast," said Warner, who now provides his analysis for NFL Netowrk. "He's got to recognize things and he's got to see things. Even though it can be the same plays over and over again, it's recognizing the different things that you're seeing and being able to make those decisions very quickly within it."

"You have to be highly accurate from 12-to-20 yards downfield, and you have to be able to make that throw a lot of different ways," said Dilfer, who provides NFL insight for ESPN. "You also have to be able to snap the ball without a lot of information and figure it out after the snap. A lot of quarterbacks like to get it all figured out before the ball is snapped.

"Chip's plan is to go so fast that you're snapping the ball, then figuring it out. That post-snap processing and the piercing-level accuracy are the two biggest things that I see in this."

• 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jerseyniner49:

this play will win us Championships I feel it!

THE STORY BEHIND THIS GAME DAY POSTER BOARD was that the Design Class would turn in about 30 of them meaningless design and the coaching staff would have a PIZZA FRIDAY for that class.

This is True Story.

Honestly the so called AR shouldn't get the connotation it does around here. Like I've said before, there is absolutely nothing wrong with scheming open the first read at a 90%+ clip (our beloved sprint rt option would fall in this category). There is room in everyone's offense for this type of plays.

• 9moon
  • Veteran
I agree..

Bill Walsh would always have the SPLIT RIGHT SWEEP LEFT OR RIGHT as one of his Bread n Butter running play..

then, he'd call the SPLIT RIGHT SWING OPTION READ as one of his Bread n Butter passing play where the two RBs would run a swing to be followed by the LBs while the TE would sneak up the middle of the field for a quick 7 yard gain..
I have hope for him. I don't have hope for that defense....
Can anyone elaborate a bit more on the quarterback traits necessary for this offense and which of our quarterbacks would probably be the most successful in it?

Is the learning curve for this offense similar to other offenses for someone like our rookie quarterback Driskel?

If that is too much off topic, sorry.
It will be interesting to see what differs between the SF offense and the Philly defense. Kelly is working with Bible and a new coaching staff, has no doubt analyzed what went right and wrong in Philly so...I'm expecting an improved offense. Add to that several QBs with a lot to prove and a young team anxious to make a name for themselves. So it's exciting...and scarey at the same time!
Where does the QB runs play into this offense?

Does it even exist or is it simply used as something for the D to account for, which isn't utilized much?
Share 49ersWebzone