There are 167 users in the forums

Jersey Number Policy

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Guys, why is everyone tripping so much on the jersey number policy... a number is a number.. As i watch my favorite soccer team Barcelona I see that Messi (greatest soccer player) wears 10.. a number worn by so many legends.. and then there is number 6 worn by Xavi, someone who spend his entire 22 year career with a single club.. those numbers are disposable.. and yet on the other side Real Madrid. Cristiano Ronaldo wears 7, worn by the great Raul. so When Xavi retired, Danny Alves who previously wore number 2, chose number 6 in honor of his friend..

as i look ay my niners and I see a stud receiver with the playmaking abilities like Megatron, I wouldnt mind having him wear number 80.. when a number is retired it becomes forgotten and after time so does the player..

can someone tell me why 97 is off limits? i mean BY was a great player but just because he played his entire career and was a team leader doesnt mean his number should be retired.. and the cowboy... 94.. the guy played what 7 seasons for us and he was great but didnt lead the league in any categories, not all time sack leader or anything like that.. Ok I can see giving those numbers 10 year rest.. or 5 years off.. but can someone explain to me the idea behind this policy..

Manning wore a retired number in Denver
why is anyone wearing 88 in Dallas? 21..
the raiders 24? i mean what if Charles Woodson wasnt allowed to wear 24..

i think we should allow superstars to wear whatever numbers they want..
  • FaTaL
  • Veteran
BY isnt a nfl hof but he's a niner hof
Originally posted by FaTaL:
BY isnt a nfl hof but he's a niner hof

ofcourse he was.. every year leaders will appear.. even on our s**tty teams from the 2000's there were leaders.. but to retire numbers left and right like that.. i dunno. i think trully 16 and 80 are the only ones worth not dressing up.. all the other numbers it be fun to see in action.. Running Back 34.. or safety 42.. you see those numbers on the field i bet you be thinking of the good old days just for a split second..
Lol soccer
Retired numbers honor past legends. There are plenty of numbers to go around.

Jerry Rice wore 80, and made it historic. The next great Niner WR should make his OWN number historic.

Retired numbers dont get forgotten, they get remembered even more. The fact that nobody has worn 16, or 80, or 42, or 8 since those guys left the 49ers makes those numbers a much bigger deal.

It would not be right to give away those numbers. The entire point of the honor is to say "You were so good, anyone else wearing this number would be disrespectful".

Do you really want to see some crappy, bust WR wearing Rice's number?

Some people on here have no concept of what the number retirement honor means.

It doesn't affect ANYTHING. Plenty of numbers to go around. Nobody is going to wear the number 21 for SF again. Get over it. You should be thrilled that we have players who were good enough to retire a number.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
we as niner fans love to hold onto the past for as long as possible. That's why some of us use the number of championship trophies in the case as a defense against other team's fans. So our last championship was 20 years ago, who cares!
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
we as niner fans love to hold onto the past for as long as possible. That's why some of us use the number of championship trophies in the case as a defense against other team's fans. So our last championship was 20 years ago, who cares!

Flags fly forever.

Five old $100 bills are still worth more than one crisp new $100 bill.
Because retired number jersey sales = $$$$
Originally posted by kazak13:
Guys, why is everyone tripping so much on the jersey number policy... a number is a number.. As i watch my favorite soccer team Barcelona I see that Messi (greatest soccer player) wears 10.. a number worn by so many legends.. and then there is number 6 worn by Xavi, someone who spend his entire 22 year career with a single club.. those numbers are disposable.. and yet on the other side Real Madrid. Cristiano Ronaldo wears 7, worn by the great Raul. so When Xavi retired, Danny Alves who previously wore number 2, chose number 6 in honor of his friend..

as i look ay my niners and I see a stud receiver with the playmaking abilities like Megatron, I wouldnt mind having him wear number 80.. when a number is retired it becomes forgotten and after time so does the player..

can someone tell me why 97 is off limits? i mean BY was a great player but just because he played his entire career and was a team leader doesnt mean his number should be retired.. and the cowboy... 94.. the guy played what 7 seasons for us and he was great but didnt lead the league in any categories, not all time sack leader or anything like that.. Ok I can see giving those numbers 10 year rest.. or 5 years off.. but can someone explain to me the idea behind this policy..

Manning wore a retired number in Denver
why is anyone wearing 88 in Dallas? 21..
the raiders 24? i mean what if Charles Woodson wasnt allowed to wear 24..

i think we should allow superstars to wear whatever numbers they want..
If you're going to talk about someone wearing 80 in San Francisco, I'd probably use Jerry Rice as the skill-set example, not a former Detroit Lion.

Share 49ersWebzone