Rep the Red & Gold: Shop 49ers Gear →

There are 640 users in the forums

What grade would you give this draft?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What grade would you give this draft?

A lot of good picks, but a lot of head scratchers and complete avoidance of lb issues. B
B+
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 22,286
Solid C !!!

Personally, I don't like the line up.

We passed on (CB) Peters last year to draft Double A, then we draft 3 (CBs) this year who will need to fight for their life in order to make a team.

Are we really happy with the ILBs that we have and we didn't bother drafting one?

Really believe that we gave up too much on Garnett, Iike the guy and I thought that he would still be there with the 37th overall pick..
Solidified the trenches. B
B-

Drafting the idiot from LSU gets a knock, so does passing on Billings.
C.

I like the idea of strengthening the O & D Lines. But I am not a fan of the 3 DBs we selected and the fact that we did not address skill positions until the 6th round is bothersome.

Also the fact that we completely ignored the Edge rusher & ILB position really worries me. Those are 2 huge areas of need for the 49ers and we did absolutely nothing about it.
A VERY solid B.

- Buckner was a top 5 talent. A
- Garnett was the best interior lineman in the draft. A
- Redmond is a big time talent but have to be sure on the injury front. Inc.
- Robinson has Keenan Lewis type cover skill. I doubt he is mature enough for the NFL. D
- Ronald Blair is going to be a major contributor from day 1. B+
- John Theus has experience playing both tackle spots in a major conference against top talent every week. B
- Fhan Cooper made the loss of Tunsil A LOT easier to swallow for Ole Miss. Also has experience playing both sides at tackle. B
- Jeff Driskel may be the most physically gifted QB in the entire draft, just needs time to get his feet wet and adjust to pro life in a pro system. B (has true potential to be an A+)
- Kelvin Taylor is a solid runner with good lateral movement skills and good hands, maturity needs to take place and toughness is a slight question but I wouldn't doubt the son of one of the most underrated RBs in NFL history. C+
- Aaron Burbridge has the look of a late bloomer who will probably be a much better pro than college player. B-
- Prince Charles Iwoah was a shutdown corner against average competition. I do remember seeing him play against LSU (had to jog the memory) and was impressed but he wasn't someone you thought would be Deion on Sundays. Has good potential relative to this spot in the draft. B


Overall, Baalke did what was needed. Added tough defenders upfront to free up some very talented LBs on the roster. And he created some much needed competition on the offensive line with some very solid prospects and one bonafide starter at G. He added to a shaky group of CBs (looking at you Brock, Cromartie and Reaser). And he got 3 highly intriguing players at QB, RB and WR. The QB has a chance to literally be the steal of the decade.

A solid B. He didn't reach much and got solid value everywhere. Good job. On to mini camps and TC.
Solid B.
Great first two picks. I like the move up to get Garnett. You have a major need there, you have the ammo go get your guy. I don't think he would've made it to us in RD 2
Plus a good chance Sea, Ten, Cle all were looking at him too.
Personally I thought we reached with the DB pick. Was some nice talent around there on the board. High Risk High Reward pick and a classic Baalke pick. Hey at least we didn't draft a K that early like TB.
I actually like the Robinson pick but Redmond has upside.
Fred Taylor's son eh? He was okay nothing sexy.
Like the two OL we picked up. Just more depth to weed out the s**t OL we got.
Liked thw Driskell pick too.
Either way I love that we didn't sign Cook and how far he dropped.
We're young but we're gettinng there.
Armstead, Buckner and a Lynch coming off the edges? Watch out there. Could help our Secondary play out tremendously this yr
I gave it a C. My reasoning is because we had the worst O last year in terms of scoring points and did not add any skill players til 6th and 7th. Also, the LSU ding bat was a huge reach at a position we are good at after drafting Redmond.

No linebackers????

I love the 1st 2 picks though and adding Driskel late.
I am hoping for a bit of a change this year, so I anticipate the so called experts to rip this draft; and hopefully this can be like the 2012 draft for the Seahawks and we win a championship in two years!!!
Solid b. Wish we would have not taken so many corners and grabbed another pass rusher instead. I felt like the secondary was the deepest it's been in years and we took 3 more dbs. Our secondary would have improved much more with better pass rush.

Before the draft we probably had 4 or 5 above average corners which is far superior to the rest of the nfl. We needed another edge rusher.

Not too worried about the offense because the improvements on the oline and kelly scheme should get hyde to 1500 yards this season. Couple that wit mismatch ing bruce miller more we should be improved and gabbert having first team reps from the start of the season.

We definently improved on both sides of the ball and this was one of baalke better drafts. He took 0 redshirt for injury which is good.
I like how we reinforced the trenches, but there is still a need at lb. The corners in our previous system were plug and play because of the front 7 so I dont agree with drafting all those corners but its hard to criticize it wothout seeing what the plan is for the defense. Ill go b minus for now.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 12,415
I'd rather wait to grade it but I really liked our draft.
A+ on Buckner, Garnett

F- on Redmond - IMO, if a guy isn't taking the field for training camp - it's a BIG FAIL! No pass until it is earned. He coould have taken a guy who could have played right away, traded for a pick next year. I really HATE the ACL crap.

F on Robinson, inconsistent, immature - terrible, especially for what we could have done

B+ on Blair, Theus, Cooper will all make the team, see action and perform well

?? on Driskill - liked the pick, I think it can be a VERY high value pick-up if he hasn't been ruined

C for Taylor, he may propsper with the right coaching

B for Burbridge, I think he makes the team and sees action

D for Prince, special teams to start with then we'll see

Overall a B.

We still have to evaluate the Unsigned FA
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone